Does your school have a mascot?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

We don't have a mascot but want to start this year. We are trying to come up with creative ways of deciding on one (student nominations, etc.).

If you have a school mascot, what is it?
    Is there any significance to it?
    Do you know how it originated?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

The town I teach in is known for a huge 4th of July celebration. Years ago, a president even attended the festivities (current president at the time- not former- which is HUGE for a town of about 500!!)
    So, we are the "firecrackers" and our mascot is "Sparkle" the firecracker. There is even a "Sparkle" costume someone dons at times!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

We are the Parkway Panthers...I don't know if there is any significance or where it came from, but a few years ago we had a voting activity and the kids voted on his name...Mr. Parkway...how original! lol Our mascot is at most school events...the kids, especially the lil ones, go crazy over him!

5. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 13, 2008

:woot: ours is Muscle Shoals Trojans... I have no idea why, but we gots lots of spirit!:party:

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 13, 2008

All of our schools have "cat" mascots except ours... we're the Vikings. I guess they felt like they had covered all the cats.

The school where I first started teaching was the PANDAS!!! I think that's the coolest mascot EVER! Of course, it was misery for the football players who *hated* being represented by a big cuddly panda!

[​IMG]

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

Ours is the Dolphin. I think it is because we are very close to the ocean-- about 1/4 of a mile.

BUT-- here's a weird story- my elementary school that I went to was the Raccoons. After I went to middle school they changed it to the Rabbits because some child tried to HUG a raccoon because he/she thought it must have been THE mascot. UGH!

8. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2008

We are the "soaring eagles." This originated as a student competition to pick the mascot...there were three finalists....The soaring eagles, the cyclones, and the bears.

We picked the Eagles, becaus we are a Christian school, and the students' essay supporting the pick was great!

Isaiah 40:31 ~"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

9. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

Trayums- your racoon story made me laugh out loud!

We are Lions (not sure why). Our school is based on pride, a play on words being that we have pride in our school- and a group of us lions belong to a pride.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

We are the Pioneers. I'm not sure why.

In the city that neighbors my hometown, the high school mascot is the Spuds.

Spuds are potatoes.

And one of the universities in that town had the Cobbers.

Corn cobs.

I think they had the starches covered.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

We are the Explorer's. Our school is named after the first teacher in the Puget Sound area. She was an explorer, thus our mascot.
    It's in our pledge that we say every morning:
    Today I will be the best I can be
    I will believe in myself
    I will be responsible
    I will help my friends, my school and my family
    I will be an explorer
    I am proud of who I am and who I'm becoming.

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

We are the Trojans. The high school we feed into are the Spartans. We rarely put the word Trojans on anything because it makes us feel like an ad for ummm...you know....

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

We are also the Eagles and I have no idea why. I am pretty sure they were all picked at random, because my district has Wildcats, Cougars, Eagles, and Hawks. Not very creative. Also every school is blue and something except us - we are burgundy and silver.

This reminds me of the book Speak (a young adult novel) by Laurie Halse Anderson. In the book they change the mascot like 6 times (a symbol for lack of identity). They are originally the Trojans and change it because it doesn't send a strong enough abstinence message. ha!

14. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 14, 2008

We are the Hussey Bears. Our slogan is Paws and Think: Be safe, Be respectful, Be responsible. Our students earn bear paws to put on the school walls when they do not get a detention slip for the whole month. It is pretty cool and the kids like it.

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

We are the BEARS... each grade level has a bear.

Kindergarten... Teddy Bears
    First... Koala
    Second... Panda
    Third... Polar Bear
    Fourth... Kodiak
    Fifth... Grizzly

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

Sort of off topic...we got a letter from the Great Mail Race one year, and one questions was "what's your school mascot?" The kids decided that the school mascot was children, because we have children on our logo!!

We don't have a mascot officially, however, in the library someone hung a framed sweat shirt that says L--- Lions, for our school name. Apparently at ONE POINT we had a mascot! I don't know the history of the shirt, and neither does the librarian and she has been at the school 27 years.

17. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Our mascot is the Dolphin, which I like :)

The mascot of my former high school is the "Golden Elk" haha!

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

We're the Falcons. It was just picked last year by a vote of the students. I was favoring Wolverines and even tried to get my kids to influence the vote by going around school shouting, "Wolverines!" (Think the battle cry of the kids in Red Dawn.) Unfortunately, Falcons won.

19. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

Our middle/high school is the Cruisers, named after a horse that a famous man from our town trained. He was known as the "horse whisperer" and what the movie was loosely based on. Actually, he is written about in the book, The Horse Whisperer. It is a very neat story and it's really cool because there are no other mascots like ours since it is a part of our town history. At one point, our slogan was "Cruiser...There's Only One" I love that it is different from the traditional lions, bears, panthers, etc.

20. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 14, 2008

Aces. :D

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2008

The school I used to work at were the bears. If I could choose any mascot, I'd choose an animal that's not only powerful, but sleek & has a bit of sophistication, such as a panther or maybe a lion.

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

my last school we were the stallions...so weird...cause it was a technology school...should have been the gigabytes or something...ha

new school we are the titans

23. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

We're the Hawks.

Don't know where the name came from.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 14, 2008

Just had to say that I've subbed in that school district often (mostly in the high school), and it took ages for me to realize that the mascot was the horse whose statue is by the stadium entrance. I was afraid to ask!

Your students are lovely. :)

25. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

We are the panthers.
    Not sure about the significance.
    I am not sure about how it originated the school has had this mascot for over 30 years so not sure.
    Other schools in the district are the:
    Eagles
    Tiger
    Panthers
    Buckneers
    Whippets
    I cant think of the academy.

26. wiscteacher

wiscteacher Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Sadly, we are the Demons. I'm not sure how it came about - it's been the mascot for many years. The name of our town starts with a D, so I think they were at a loss for D mascots, lol. I know dolphins had been suggested, but it wasn't "fierce" enough. :lol:

27. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

....The Loggers....
    wooooo...
    LOL, very exciting isn't it? It is because we are in Northern Wisconsin, in other words logging area.

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

We are the Ramblers. But, no one knows what a Rambler is, so over time it was shortened to Rams and we are now horned goats. My student council makes ram horn head bands that go like hotcakes at home football games.

But, our old all school cheers include Ramblers.

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

My hometown was the Eagles. I don't think there was any reason for it, but it's been the mascot for as long as I can remember. The town we live in now are the Pirates.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

Our elementary school mascot is "Wildcats". We were once "Wizards", but some silly parents objected. Association with magic, I suppose. That was back when we were a tiny rural school. We're a bit more "grown-up" now.

I like the Wizards. I'd go back to it if I could.

When I was growing up, one of my elementary schools was brand new and they had a vote to name the mascot. The choice was between the Buffaloes or the Beavers. Beavers won. I didn't like it. All I can remember of it now was this big buck-toothed rodent painted on the wall. I hated looking at that thing.

31. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

The high school in our town has a wildcat for the mascot.
    The two middle schools are the panthers and the cougars (that is my middle school).
    The various elementary schools have different ones, such as a cub (bear) or eagles. One has a heron. The other is an orca. :) I am guessing they didn't want anything too fierce at the elementary level. :confused:

32. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 14, 2008

We are the Eagles. Don't know why.. no Eagles in Texas. Guess it was majestic and patriotic, which is big in Texas. The other elementary schools are the Bulldogs, Conquistadors, Dragons, Tigers, Falcons, Horsemen etc. There are 2 other Eagles in town. Our mascots for the High school are weird.. Dons, (Hispanic warrior) Rebels (guy with gun) Sandies (big tornado) and Longhorns (only normal one)

33. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

Well, actually -- there are eagles in Texas:
    http://www.eaglefest.org/

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2008

It amazes me how many schools do not have just 1 mascot for the district. I can understand districts with multiple high schools, but where I am from, that is not the norm.

I grew up my entire life a Cardinal. It just means so much more with Homecoming and everything. Maroon and gold were our colors and they were splashed everywhere- the newest school is brick with gold accent bricks. Literally everywhere. And the whole thing has such a sense of community.

Where I am now, my elem can feed into 2 MSs which can lead to 3 different HSs. So, we don't have that unity thing. And, I have no idea when any of their homecomings are. I just feel so lost in October....

35. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

I don't know why but we're the Wildcats

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2008

giraffe-Where I grew up and the district that I am now every school shares the same mascot. I like it that way because like you said, it builds a sense of community and makes homecoming special.

The two districts that I have taught at each school had their own mascot with the middle/high schools sharing the main mascot.

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 15, 2008

My current school has no mascot, but it's a young school. My alma mater's mascot was the Panther, and we had an interesting statue of one in the lobby.

38. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 15, 2008

Huntsmen
    Local districts: Vikings, Oaks, Ironmen, Golden Rockets, Cavaliers, Pioneers, Warriors, Red Streaks, Panthers, Shermans (as in Sherman Tanks)

No clue as to why we are the Huntsmen other than the beginning of the word being same as district name. I believe the Shermans were b/c of a WWI training camp in the area known as Camp Sherman (also built on the site of Hopewell burial mounds).

39. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

We are the Bears. I don't know anything else about it.

40. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

Does anyone have a school shirt with the mascot on it. We have our Bonita Bear shirts that we try to wear on Friday's.

41. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Aug 15, 2008

We are "Panthers" as well...the "Poplar Tree Panthers"
    We have a panther costume someone dresses up in as well.