Does your school entertain requests for teacher changes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

I'm talking about situations where it is just preference not a scheduling conflict.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

End of the year. Changes are mostly based on student need, not teacher preference.

Are you already looking for a change, Math?

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 27, 2012

Requests from parents? Not likely. We don't entertain requests for certain teachers before school starts, I can't imagine my principal moving students around after the year has begun.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

If you're talking about changing grade levels, then yes my school does take that into consideration, though they look at what's best for the students too. If you're talking about changing a schedule in classes, then I'm sure my admin takes that into consideration; however, there would have be extreme situations to change the schedule mid year.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 27, 2012

Sorry, I just re-read the question. Do you mean teachers requesting new positions? Yes - my principal asks us in the spring what we would like to teach in the fall and then does her best to orchestrate everyone's preferences.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

Nope, or at least very rarely. The only changes made during the first two weeks of school are for schedule conflicts. If there was a specific conflict between a teacher and student, I would assume a parent conference would be arranged that would include the teacher, parent, student, guidance counselor, and department chair.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Or maybe I misunderstood..are you referring to parent requests for teachers, Math?

9. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

My above response was regarding parent requests for teacher changes. In terms of teachers requesting different schedules, the administration will take those requests into consideration when scheduling for the following year is being done.

10. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 27, 2012

Not typically. It has to be a very good reason and even then it is rare.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

My school doesnt look at requests for students changing teachers once school starts unless there's a major problem.

12. sunbeachgirl

sunbeachgirl Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

Our district policy says no request can be made for a certain teacher, and parents also cannot request that their student NOT get a certain teacher. As a special ed teacher whose kids are placed all around the school in different classes, I just have to deal.
    Sometimes is frustrating when a student is placed with teacher #1 and I know it isn't a good fit.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

Yes, this is what I was referring to, although my little cousin asked me if teachers are allowed to "trade" their students with one another :lol:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Absolutely not.

You get who you get.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 27, 2012

We are so small that there aren't many options. But, no.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

Not allowed - unless there is some sort of major conflict - but I can't remember that ever happening!

17. smalltowngal

Aug 27, 2012

Oh, if we're talking about parent requests for teachers....my district (and the one my daughter goes to) says they don't do teacher request, but I think secretly they honor those requests. Of course my district is so small that you get who you get.

18. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

It probably has to do with how loudly the request is made :whistle:

19. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

I'm visualizing two teachers using "trading cards" with students' pictures and "stats" on them. That would be a creative way to build a schedule! :haha:

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

Yeah either this or HS dodgeball team picking style.

21. smalltowngal

Aug 27, 2012

As they say....the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Have you encountered this, Math?

23. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

I have to agree. Our policy is no they do not but in reality it depends on who the parent is (teacher/politician/ PTA member's kid etc). It's no coincidence that I had 3 of my friends kids last year when 6 other people taught the same thing.

24. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

Not yet. I have noticed my class lists fluctuating daily...people coming in and people going out before school even starts, but I'm suspecting it has more to do with scheduling errors and such, although I know when I was in school some of my friend's parents did that.

25. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 27, 2012

Don't read too much into it. My class lists change daily until October.

26. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 27, 2012

We were just told at a faculty meeting today to hold off on printing our rosters. The guidance counselors are addressing a lot of schedule conflicts and our numbers are fluctuating because of that. I'll probably print mine off tomorrow so I can make up my seating charts, but I always have at least one or two students on day 1 who have my name on their schedules, yet weren't on my list when I checked earlier in the day.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

We don't get lots of changes... the names on my roster right now will be, by and large, the ones I teach.

But we always have a few withdrawls that first week or so. I rarely get an addition after the start of school, but deletions aren't uncommon in those first few days.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

It very rarely happens at my school. Even then, it's only in the event of extreme conflict or some sort of violent altercation, like if a student pushed a teacher.

As far as a parent's or student's preference that the student be moved to another teacher's classroom, no, that doesn't really happen.

29. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 27, 2012

Yes and no. Admins made changes based on parent request, but that practice has changed in recently.

30. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2012

I don't think we really get any requests. For the most part classes stay together from K-5 unless two children have a major problem with each other. The only instances I've seen are because of some big issue, usually between two children, not because of parent requests. I don't know if there is a specific policy though. I can't see my principal turning down parent request though, if they ever came about.

31. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Aug 27, 2012

happens*all*the*time*at*my*current*school.**P*doesn't*want*unhappy*parents*and*they*know*it.**Last*year*a*kid*was*moved*from*my*class*because*he*told*mom*I*didn't*let*him*comb*his*hair*in*the*bathroom*on*picture*day.**I*had*lots*of*parents*request*me*this*year*so*it*evens*out.
    **Sorry,*my*Mac*has*weird*codes*on*it*so*message*prints*out*like*this.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  32. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 27, 2012

I requested that my daughter not have a certain child in her class last year and that request was granted. This year I asked that a certain teacher not be on her schedule and the counselor honored that request. I can't ask for a teacher, but I can ask not to have a teacher. She is in fourth grade and this is one of two times I have done it. Both times there were five or more other teachers to choose from.

33. mandijyn

mandijyn Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Our P actually switched a child into my room at meet and greet after the mother freaked out that the other teachers class had a high number of ELL students and that she had an "accent" . Of course I was horrified that this request was permitted - it was very uncomfortable for all involved.

34. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

They will hear the request as others have said, but not promise to honor it. Often parents are basing their requests on reputation which is not always an accurate representation. Students have been moved on request if a parent has a complaint about the class after it starts.

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Parents requests are only invited in respect to teaching style, friends/peers to stay with or away from. Requests for (or against) a specific teacher would not be considered. We do occasionally have to shuffle students during the first week or so of school because of new enrollments, but it has nothing to do with the teacher.

36. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

Unfortunately, yes. Students have been moved mid-year, due to parent requests. It is fairly uncommon, and they usually try to talk the parents out of it.

37. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 28, 2012

yes.
    I get kids who hate the other teacher because she keeps after them to do their work. They complain and complain until they get moved to my room, where they have the same issues. Usually it evens out with the same number of kids insisting on moving out of my room and into hers. And usually, those are kids getting Fs in every single class. I think moving them around is just a way to postpone looking into what is really wrong.

38. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 28, 2012

Hahahahahahahah....I just picture the two kids swapping spots with one another.

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 28, 2012

I've had a sizable number of students transferred from other teachers to me because the student, parent, or principal decided the kid needed more individualized attention. I'm apparently the go-to person, which is why I was picked to work with students who have asked for that kind of structure. In exchange, I get passed over the next time a new student is enrolled and needs to be placed in a class mid-year.