Does your school allow teacher requests?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ilovemyjob, Jun 8, 2013.

1. ilovemyjob

ilovemyjob New Member

Jun 8, 2013

Our school district started to allow some of the parents to request teachers for their student for the next school year. Only the parents in the loop, PTA, teachers' friends, etc. know this is allowed and they all request the same teacher for their kids.
    I don't think it is good for the children to go through elementary school (K to 6) with the same group of 25 kids.
    We have 8 classes of each grade; Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grades in our building. The same happens in our other schools also.
    I would like to know if there is a policy or how this is handled in other schools.
    There should be a written policy and everyone should know about it if it is going to be allowed.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 8, 2013

At my school, I believe parents can fill out an environmental request for the next school year. Not many parents complete them. Out of our 120 K students, we had about 10 place requests for 1st grade.

I wouldn't like the request system if the children were always with the same students. They need to learn to get along with different students, not just the same kids year after year. A better policy would be to only allow so many requests per teacher. First come, first serve type deal.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

We allow parent requests.

I do think, however, that parent requests have caused hurt feelings for some teachers.

For example, we had several staff members this year who had children in 2nd grade. For whatever reason, they all ended up in my class. One of my teammates said, "Wow...what'd you do to get all the staff members' kids in your class???"

I didn't even know what to say. I just sort of laughed it off. I felt like saying, "Duh! They requested me!"

Side note: There are five teachers in my grade level.

5. MaggieB

MaggieB Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

We don't gave anything formal but I seem to mysteriously always get staff members kids - even the principal's! The two others on our team noticed. I've even had parents request me for the siblings of others. One of my team members said she didn't understand why the wanted me because she thought I was too strict and didn't allow the students to be themselves. ??? I guess allowing students to be "themselves" is why she constantly has to call security to remove/control students. We all teach 8th grade science which has the STAAR exam.

6. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

We allow parent requests with some limitations.

You are able to request certain "teaching styles" ask for certain preferences from a teacher...but not request a teacher by name. This means admin can look at your request and place your child in the classroom they think would fit your request.

The only way to request a specific teacher by name is if you have had siblings with that teacher in the past.

7. ilovemyjob

ilovemyjob New Member

Jun 8, 2013

Thank you for your input.
    I agree that there would be a limit on requests per class. But if you have first come-first serve, they will be requesting teachers from the delivery room, listing every teacher they want from K-6. (really, I can see this happening!)

I also agree that some teachers have hurt feelings. At our school all of the parents that are teachers request the same class. Other parents follow their lead and there are 2 teachers out of 8 in each grade that have 40 or more requests each year. Some teachers feel guilty having all of the "love" and other teachers feel discouraged because they were not validated.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

Staff can make requests, regular parents cannot. The class I inherited this year had all the staff kids, which was one of the reasons I moved into the position mid-year and the interim took over my old class.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 8, 2013

Officially, no. However, I know a couple of people who have told me they asked for me, and others have told me it is no coincidence that I get the kids of teachers and administrators.

10. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

Parents can write a letter and it may be taken into consideration.

If the parent is a district employee, then their request will be granted.

I don't think requests are a good idea. More often than not, parents are requesting based on what their friends say. It's a popularity contest.

During my first year of teaching, a family saw that I was a first year and they had requested someone else. The mom came in and threw a fit but the principal told her to stick it out. They ended up really loving me and the student even came in to say goodbye to me since he will be going to the middle school next year (6 years later),

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2013

Officially, no.

But I always end up with teacher's and administrator's kids.

12. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 9, 2013

One of my schools accepts them, but does not guarantee them. I had a grade two student one year who had requested a grade three teacher because his brother had her. The grade three teacher was moving to a 3/4 split the following year, and when making up a split we try and put in higher achieving and independent grade threes and middle of the road independent grade fours. This child was academically struggling and not independent, so it wouldn't have been a good fit. This year she moved up to grade four and he got to be in her class.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 9, 2013

The school that my own kids went to allowed it. It had to be done be a specific date & there were no guarantees.

At my current school no. As teachers we make up the lists for the next group. We try to split up students who need to be separated and even the classes out academically & behaviorally.

As Kindergarten teachers we usually took siblings, unless we had a strong reason not to. It's nice just knowing the family.

14. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 9, 2013

My school allows parent requests. The PTA and constant volunteer parents know about it and use it.

15. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jun 9, 2013

I don't know if my school technically allows it as a system, but I know it happens. A lot of times parents (many of them teachers or PTA) will request one team of teachers over another. I don't think I've been around long enough to develop that kind of reputation as an individual, but my team is often requested. I personally don't like knowing that parents chose to put their kids in my class. It creates extra pressure!

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 9, 2013

Nope. My principal is open to discussions about students' needs and will entertain requests like "My child benefits from a structured environment" but she will not entertain requests for specific teachers.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

We allow it but it is not advertised, which means mostly the very active parents who volunteer (and their friends) use it. It's kind of uncomfortable. Typically the same teachers get most of the requests due to word of mouth and groups of parents requesting together. I kind of wish we didn't honor them, but then again as a new teacher I would be very uncomfortable if I had students who's parents SO obviously wanted another teacher.

18. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 9, 2013

Parents can make requests but it is at the discretion of the school/admin as to whether those requests are actually granted.

19. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 9, 2013

Not supposed to happen, but it does. One teacher ALWAYS ends up with the group of boys her husband coaches in little league baseball and basketball. I've been at my building five years, and it's happened every year. Most of the requests are made by people who have a "name" in my community; therefore, they are granted. I think a lot of this has to do with damage control on the part of my district. They've made some decisions in the past, and continue to make them, that are far from popular to the community.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2013

This. Parents can also request that their child be with, or away from, certain peers. Tentative teaching assignments are published in the school newsletter that goes home a few days before the end of the year--long after class placements have been done.

21. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2013

I think it's crazy how many of you have staff members' children. That's completely unheard of where I teach and very, very, very rare where I live.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2013

It's uncommon here as well. This year, several teachers do have their children in our French Immersion program as that draws from a wider geographic area. Otherwise, teachers' children attend only if they live within our boundaries.

23. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jun 12, 2013

We have staff member's students all the time. Our school admin will consider requests for specific teams due to the team's discipline, or to separate a child from another group. Staff member requests are almost always granted. Parent requests seem to be honored most of the time, but as another poster stated, the request has to be based on certain aspects such as more structured environment rather than for a specific teacher.