Does your school allow parents to request teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Erin Elizabeth, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Does your school allow parents to request a specific teacher?

1. Yes, all requests are granted.

19 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Yes, but only under certain circumstances.

29 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. No, absolutely not.

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 20, 2008

What we as parents can do at my son's school is:

*Request that our child gets a teacher with certain attributes.
    *Request that our child does not get a teacher with certain attributes.
    *Request that our child is not placed with certain children.

So in writing you have to say something like:

I would like Johnny to be placed with a 3rd grade teacher who has had experience with teaching children who are challenged in reading. I would also like him to be with a teacher who allows some freedom in the class. He had Mrs P and Mrs K over the last two years and they were a perfect fit. Also, its best for everyone if he is not placed in a class with Nick Smith.

We cannot ask for a particular teacher.

2. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Mar 20, 2008

But then how, as the parent, do you know if your child WAS actually placed with a teacher who had those qualities - again, it winds up being word of mouth from parents, and as a parent and a teacher that is not always the most impartial group.

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 20, 2008

You don't know unless you know all the teachers well enough to be able to figure it out! My son did not get what I asked for. That note is similar to the one I sent except I asked for a teacher with a strong reading program.

He got freedom, he was not with the child, but he got a first year teacher. I wonder how they thought this first year teacher had a strong reading program. It's going fine but I wouldn't call her reading program strong by any stretch of the word. He loves her though and his reading has always been above level, its just that he hates it (reading) so I wanted someone to instill more of a love of reading in him. Maybe they just conferred with his last year's teacher and decided he didn't need a strong reading program.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2008

I'm glad we don't allow selection by attributes...because I'm the teacher with the rep of being great with ADHD kids, kids with Asperbers, and seriously defiant students. A room FULL of those, and I would seriously be hating life.

As I tell my principal every year, "Just because I CAN do it, doesn't mean I WANT to do it, year after year after year.'

One year, I had a class of 27, and 18 were ADHD, and 11 were inclusion (obviously some of the ADHD were also inclusion.) I also had 24 boys out of 27 students! I will NEVER let someone do that to me again. My blood pressure went through the roof, and I had the worst year ever.

Now, I'm in a different grade level, but you can't imagine how many parents want their students in my class -- and it is simply because I"m an older teacher, and all of my colleagues are in their 20s. It would hardly be fair to them if they honored those requests -- just because they are young doesn't mean they aren't fine teachers!

5. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 20, 2008

Rain, at our school the saying is that "no good deed goes unpunished". Do something well once and it's your job for life.

It's just in the last year that I'm really starting to protest about this myself - as you say, just because someone can handle the difficult kids doesn't mean they should have to all the time - time to up the skills of the other teachers and balance workload. Although I've never had to cope with even close to that class you've described; they are fairer than that at my school.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 20, 2008

Amen to that! When my blood pressure went through the roof and my doctor said I had to do something about my stress-level, is when I put my foot down and said, "This has to stop!"

7. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Mar 22, 2008

Our previous principal took requests from parents. They put it in writing who they wanted as a 1st and 2nd choice. This left classes SERIOUSLY unbalanced - some teachers got all the behavior problems and low students while others got super high kids with no problems. Our new principal allows for parents to meet with her and discuss their child's personality. She does not take requests but takes notes on that child. The teachers meet as a grade level with the lower grade teachers (ex: 2nd grade teachers meet with 1st grade teachers) and place students based on their MAP RIT ranges, behaviors, sex, and ethnicity to make the classes as balanced as possible. However, we did that last year and the classes were not how we left them at the end of the year, so I think the principal moves kids around a bit.

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 22, 2008

This is the teacher I became know as...she does well with identified students, low students, ESL, etc. The problem was that I got all of them at once. I love these students...they keep me on my toes(I am sure gifted students would too, I just don't have the experience in that dept.), but it becomes draining, especially when you have a couple of hard cases. Because of how well I did with some of these students, parents did request me for the siblings. Many times the siblings weren't any better functioning or were worse:woot:. I did have a supportive admin. though, I was able to ask for a year without clusters, because I had been overloaded the year before. It was nice to have a break, but I sure did miss those groups.:haha:

9. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

At my children's school, parents can write a letter about their child's needs and attributes of a teacher that would work well with their child. It is stated that teacher requests are not honored, but if you drop a name in the letter, it usually gets done. However, the principal is very clear in the newsletter that these letters need to be in by May. After a very stressful school year with a teacher who stressed my child out too much, I wrote a letter because I really did think she needed a certain kind of teacher, and I included a few names (there are seven teachers at each grade level) just to be sure they understood the type of teacher I meant. She got one of them and had the best year of her life. I did not request the next year, and she also got a great teacher.

At elementary schools I have worked in, they have had similar policies. They state that they don't take requests but they do take letters to describe personalities. But, they actually do honor requests that are made with good reasons. I have had families request me for siblings, and this has worked out well for all.

It's a good feeling to be requested, but we have to keep in mind that some parents have made requests for the new teacher who gave no homework all year, too, and just for that reason.

10. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Now, I'm in middle school, and I don't think requests will be as common; but maybe I'm just naive. There may be requests for certain teams. Parents don't always have the correct information, though. The team that does inclusion this year may not do it next year, etc.

We were a brand new school this year so there were no requests!
    It'll be interesting to see what happens this spring.:huh:

11. NCP

NCP Comrade

Mar 22, 2008

At my school we only have 2 rounds so we just try to balance the classes. It is a bit more difficult than when I was in a school with 6 rounds! Parent requests in my old school were not "allowed", but my principal was more concerned with his standing with the parents so we would work and work to balance the classes and then he would change it all around.