does your resume list what you did in the classroom

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by luv2teach444, May 30, 2017.

1. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

May 30, 2017

or just the name & dates of the job?

If I have t have bullet points under my title I don't have a clue what to say - I taught. I didn't loose any kids. That's about it. ;)

3. Daniellya

Daniellya Rookie

May 30, 2017

It definitely lists what you did in the classroom... you "taught" but that's a loaded statement. How did you teach? What methods did you use? Were you effective? In what ways were you effective? There should be so many details you should have about your experience, it should be difficult to choose what to include on your resume...

bella84 likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 30, 2017

Include any data you might have. Good test scores will get you interviews. (That's a sad commentary on the times, but totally true!)

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 30, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

May 30, 2017

Thanks for the input - I have been a sub for years, interim & regular sub & then a 1/2 yr Pre-K teaching job (pink slipped because a unit was cut). So I don't have data or any accomplishments.

7. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

May 31, 2017

Subbing and surviving speaks to classroom management, flexibility, adaptability, stress resistance, etc.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 31, 2017

Do you have the ability / extra cash to hire a professional resume service? I redid mine this past year by talking about my work with someone for about an hour, and what she created with it made me feel like I could actually poo rainbows.

:whistle:

Seriously, having a well-cultivated resume can be worth the investment.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2017

What you list in your bullet points should give a clear picture of your teaching philosophy (For example, do you primarily teach with direct instruction methods, inquiry methods, or something else?) and the specific skills and experience you gained as a result of that position (For example, were there specific curriculum methods or programs that you are now experienced with as a result of that job? Is there a behavior management style you tend to favor as a result?). Yes, we all know what teachers do in general. But, every school is different, and every teacher has different methods and guiding principles or philosophies. Your bullets should tell the story of who YOU are, not just a generic job description.

I always start by recommending that you make a list of all the things you'd want someone with hiring potential to know about you... What are your strengths? What unique skills do you bring to the table? What do you consider most impressive about yourself? Just do this on scratch paper. Write down every possible thing that you can think of on this list. Then go back over it and group "like" things together. Rank which ones are the most impressive or significant... And, then I suggest finding way to incorporate all of those skills, experiences, characteristics, strengths, etc. into your bullet points.

It's not about listing your responsibilities as a teacher. Again, we all know, in general, what those are. It's about showing who YOU would be as a teacher at their school if they were to hire you.

10. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

May 31, 2017

thanks. guess I need some real soul searching - cause I don't know anything

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2017

Let me share some of my own examples to help get you started:

Under my second grade classroom teacher position, this is what I have for bullets:
    · Engaged students in a balanced literacy model of ELA instruction, integrating science and social studies content
    · Engaged students in a problem-based learning model of math instruction using the EnVision Math program
    · Created a classroom culture of 21st Century Learning through initiatives such as BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)

Under my resource/inclusion sped teacher position, this is what I have:
    · Collaborated with colleagues to plan for student supports and various models of co-teaching within an inclusion setting
    · Supported students with accommodations and modifications while implementing EngageNY Math and EngageNY ELA curriculums
    · Provided direct instruction in a resource setting utilizing the Wilson Reading System, Reading A-Z.com, Visualizing and Verbalizing, and a variety of math resources
    · Prepared and implemented IEPs and monitored students’ progress towards meeting academic and functional goals

You can see how I was specific as to what resources/programs I used (EnVision Math and Engage NY, for example), as well as how I threw in phrases that gave some insight into my philosophy and preferred teaching style (balanced literacy, direct instruction, problem-based learning, etc). With this resume, I received multiple offers for interviews, and I had a few actual job offers to choose from.

Think about what makes you who you are as a teacher... If you don't have tons of experience, then think about who you want to be in the future. Highlight those qualities and beliefs about yourself the best that you can. Good luck!

Fresh277 likes this.
  12. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

May 31, 2017

Definitely impressive. Yep, only a little experience.