Does your Newspaper publish your Salary by NAME?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, May 13, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 13, 2010

We have a local newspaper that has decided to publish all of the school district employees' salaries by title and name. Isn't that interesting. It is "public record" so it's completely legal and fine. Has this happened to you, too?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 13, 2010

My thought is, where did the newspaper get this information? I would guess that a school would give out a salary schedule, but to put names with it seems pretty underhanded by the school district. For example, my school gives a schedule to everyone, but it only lists numbers of faculty at each step (although in my small school it is easy to figure out). I would be more upset with my school district...

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 13, 2010

In Los Angeles, The Daily News did that to the employees of LAUSD about a year or two ago.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 14, 2010

Well, the super emailed saying that he is required by law to give the information because as public employees our name, title, and salary are public record. A journalist requested the info and they were required to provide it, and the newspaper can do what they want with it - which was, to publish it.

When I worked in the private sector, corporations asked employees NOT to share their salary information, but now as a public employee, I am required to let it be in the newspaper. With this kind of treatment, it's no wonder some people think they can tell teachers what to do because they "pay our salary." I pay taxes, too.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 14, 2010

Ours is handed out at our annual town meeting and is on the town website.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 14, 2010

I think I'd cancel my subscription.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 14, 2010

If I could think of one legitimate reason for having our names and salaries published, that would be different. However it seems like just plain nosiness. They could say "X School has 2 teachers with 5 years experience who make $x" if all people wanted to know was how much of "their" money was going to teachers. But Mr. Z, 3rd Grade Teacher, $x" is just so... invasive.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 14, 2010

Here when we instituted merit pay the local paper even had a search engine on its website where you could "look up your child's teacher to see if they were one of the good ones". The district fought releasing that info the following year because it is like an evaluation and those are private. They lost. It caused a lot of strife between teachers not to mention the fact it was misleading to the public-there were a lot of reasons why some didn't receive the extra pay-any early childhood, resource, ancillary teachers couldn't qualify because they had no test scores, not necessarily because they were bad teachers.

A lot of government positions are public record but I've never seen any of that info published-average salaries maybe but you're right, what's the purpose.?

10. gigi

gigi Groupie

May 14, 2010

Ours are posted in the town report as well.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 14, 2010

Our paper has a searchable database of all of our names, positions, schools, and salaries. It makes me a little uncomfortable.

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 14, 2010

My name was published with my salary a couple of years ago, although it was misleading because I only worked part time. So I looked like one of the worst-paid in the district!

I am okay with a salary schedule being posted, along with how many teachers are at each level. One can usually guess how much a teacher is getting paid if they know how many years they've been teaching and what their credentials are. But I feel that individual names are a bit unnecessary.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

Most district web sites even publish salary information for each school year, so anyone can look there and see at least the minimum a teacher in that district makes.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

Shelly........ I would be quite miffed

15. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

May 14, 2010

I know this year, the public school district in our area put in the paper all the people who were cut. It was pretty humiliating if you ask me.

16. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

May 14, 2010

District salaries are listed in my area. Also, professors and other people working in the public colleges have their salaries posted.

17. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 14, 2010

Yet another reason to consider the private sector.

They did that here too.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 14, 2010

They did that here when I was a student.

19. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 14, 2010

That is totally uncalled for. Did anyone ask them why they did this?

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 14, 2010

nj . com/news/bythenumbers - you can look up any public school teacher in NJ

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 14, 2010

http://www.open.georgia.gov/

Look under "salaries and travel reimbursements", then follow the menu to "local school boards".

It felt weird when I first found this, but now I don't care.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 14, 2010

IF you know where to look (I forget the website), you can get IL teachers online... but you have to actually know where to look, it isn't in the papers or anything. Of course, the times I've found it, the info has been several years old...

23. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 14, 2010

I wish they would do that so everyone would see how little I make. :lol:

I know that day that a few years ago with the administrators, but not teachers.

24. bros

bros Phenom

May 14, 2010

In New Jersey, the Asbury Park Press has an online database of the salaries of all public employees. Cops, teachers, supers, etc.

It lists how long they've been working at their specific job, how long they've been working total in the state, if they are highly qualified, what level of degree they have, and what grade level they teach.

25. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

May 14, 2010

Public

Even though public employees' salary is public record doesn't mean a newspaper should publish that info. It seems like a tactic to show we are overpaid.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 14, 2010

Ya know, an old college professor of mine used to walk her classes through a monthly budget for a teacher on an average salary. It ended up with the teacher in the hole. I should dig that out and send it to you Shelly. You could send it in as a letter to the editor...

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 14, 2010

No, our names and salary aren't published but it's easy enough to determine using a couple of available documents. When I was a teacher's assistant in eighth grade I was making copies in the workroom and there was a printed list of each teacher and his or her salary, but I don't believe such a thing was ever published in the newspaper.

Seems very political and or just outright nosy to me.

28. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 14, 2010

if you know that the info is out there, it's pretty easy to look it up. i can look up professor salaries and those of basically any government employee and when they were hired. it's public info.

29. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 14, 2010

Ours are available online. Name and salary.

30. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 14, 2010

State employee salaries are a matter of public record and the newspaper has every right to request and publish the information if they wish. However, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. :(

31. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 14, 2010

DP, I agree. Publish mine and see how little I make. When I resigned from a job, the parents asked me why. When I told them how little I made, they were very upset, and wanted me to stay with a raise.

32. Nate

Nate Companion

May 14, 2010

Our newspaper published a list of the highest-paid teachers in the area. It's a rag, and fewer people read it every year, so I couldn't care less what they publish.

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 15, 2010

No local newspaper but when we move up on the scale, it's in the board minutes. There is also a particular curmudgeon who lives in my district who gets the info and publishes his own 'community newsletter'...not only about school employees, but he basically complains about all town services, other town residents...but anyway, when my salary went up and was in the board minutes, a parent with a kid in my room mentioned the amount to another parent who responded, "And she's worth every penny!"...

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

That information being posted in the paper seems a little invasive to me.

35. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 15, 2010

Teachers work in a position of public trust and the public has a right to know what the teachers (or any other state service employee) are paid. The information is always available online for those who want to look for it.

I question the reasons for the newspapers publishing this information for those who aren't willing to find it themselves, but the bottom line remains that it is public information.

It does seem invasive, but that is part of the job.

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

My God, I thought we were hard done by in the UK. We would be burning the schools down over here if that happened to us!

Pay scales are in the public record but whatever an individual earns is entirely between them and their employer and nothing to do with anyone else. Their employer being the education authority not the general public.

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 15, 2010

Ours are printed in our collective agreement, which is online for the public to see. Our names are not printed by our salary, but it shows what a teacher with 1 year experience makes, 2 years, etc. so anyone could figure out what I am making.

38. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

May 15, 2010

I would LOVE if they posted my private school salary for all to see. That way people would know how little we make for how ridiculously hard we work. That would be a giant realization for others of our true passion for teaching. I'd love for this to be public knowledge.

39. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 15, 2010

Some years they publish it and some years they don't. They publish ALL the financial records for the school when they do, and not just teacher salaries.

40. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

They publish ours.
    It only upsets me that they do not publish all state employee salaries(from police to city recycling) just the school employees.

41. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

Here they do all state employees on the website www.seethroughny.net Also many taxpacs around here send out a list with a cry to vote NO for the budget :(