Does your high/middle school have Saturday School?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LouiseB, Sep 26, 2009.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Our school is considering having Saturday School. What are your thoughts on Satuday School? If you have Saturday School, how does yours work? How are teachers selected to supervise?

3. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

My school doesn't have this. Out of curiousity, though, by Saturday School do you mean actually classes on Saturdays or Saturday detentions? Our teachers want Saturday detentions, but the district won't pay for it.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

We do. It's Saturday Work/Study - the kids spend half the time working around campus and the other half in a study hall. It's either 3 or 4 hours; I forget. Of course, students are supervised, and it's only held once or twice a month.

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

The Saturday School being considered would be a Saturday detention.

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

We have Saturday school. We are a K - 12 school and Saturday school is for all grades except Kinder. We have one for Upper School (9 - 12) and one for lower school (1 - 8). Teachers are assigned by admin.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

The high school has it mostly to make up absences, and it is supervised by campus supervisors who have teaching credentials. They are cheaper than regular teachers. The school does seem to be doing it less due to budget cuts and kids who don't show up. Rumors are it will not survive future budget cuts.

8. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

We don't, I heard they used to a few years ago but it was a disaster. Students wouldn't show up and it was hard to get people to staff it. We have a Friday School that lasts about an hour afterschool on Friday-roughly about 315-415/430

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

We have a 3 hour Saturday detention for kids with either too many absences or a real discipline problem. We run it once a month.

At the start of the school year the dean asks for volunteers. The pay is decent (though I forget how much; I missed this years meeting and, with 3 kids, have never volunteered myself.)

The people who like to do it say it's easy money, and it forces them to spend 3 hours getting work done-- they say they get SO MUCH accomplished!

And, while there are no administrators in their offices, the principal and most of the other administrators live on campus and are only a phone call away. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever had to call them.

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 27, 2009

We have Saturday detentions. I think it's for three hours. It's for more serious discipline problems, kid of one step before a suspension. I know we have no problems staffing it; as Alice pointed out the teachers who staff it are able to get a ton of work done. I'm really glad we have it as I'd rather see kids in that than a day of suspension.

We hold it every Saturday. Discipline can be an issue at my school (we're not inner city, but close to it) and it's taken very seriously so the kids who act inappropriately have consequences. Thank goodness for supportive administration!

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

We have Saturday school when we need to. It is just another step above detention. It is used mainly for tardies or other discipline issues. We don't have a problem with getting teachers to man it since they get an hourly stipend and it is four hours (8:00-12:00). I don't do it because I have two kids and my DH is gone during the week.

12. 2inspire

2inspire Companion

Sep 27, 2009

what do the kids do in Saturday School? It sounds like the teachers can use it like a prep period (with supervision of students) but then what are the studetns doing? I can't imagine a student who has behavior issues during the week with his regular teacher behaving on a Saturday for someone else.

13. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 2, 2009

We have Saturday School at my high school. I actually think it's quiet effective. It's mostly used as deterrent for tardies. If you're even minute late, you get a 3 hour Saturday School. It's harsh, but our hallways are practically ghost towns by the town the bell rings, cutting down on student altercations and mischief. If they don't go to the assigned Saturday, they go to ISS (In School Suspension). Same deal there. If you're even a minute late, they add another day of ISS. Since it's in-school, teachers send work down and come by during their conference or planning period if necessary.

There is one out for the Saturday School. To avoid it, you can go to three hours of tutoring and having a teacher sign off on it saying you were there. I think it's a good set up.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2009

The last I heard, ours were copying the Constitution.

The assignment may have changed, but the idea behind it hasn't: there's plenty of work to keep them busy, but it's not a chance for them to catch up on the work they already have to do. Basically, we're wasting three hours of their Saturday and they know it.

And for some reason, it seems to work. I've never done it, so I'm not sure why.