Does your faith affect your teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Red Apple, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Does your faith affect your teaching?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Other- please explain

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Red Apple

Red Apple Rookie

Apr 15, 2012

For those of you with a belief or religion, does your faith effect your teaching?

I ask because of a conversation I had at church with a teacher. She said some teachers teach in religious schools because they feel they can't be true to themselves in public school. She finds she can, because her faith comes out through her teaching; through the values she encourages and the love she has for her students.

I am curious how other teachers feel.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2012

I don't really have a "faith", but my spiritual beliefs have their moments of "shining through". Does it influence my teaching, though? No. I would say it does come through my interactions and so forth.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

Of course it does. It has helped shape who I am as a person and who I am as a person comes out in my teaching everyday. There are other more direct ways as well that it impacts my teaching and I believe that to be a good thing.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 16, 2012

It doesn't impact what I teach or how I teach. I guess it influences my interactions with students, but since my entire belief system could be summarized with, "Everyone be nice to each other." it mostly just impacts how I treat students and how I expect them to treat each other.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2012

I teach in a Catholic school.

My faith is part of who I AM. It has an effect on most of my day.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

My faith is a also huge part of who I am. Although I would never preach my faith, it has given me basic human values to follow. These values affect me everywhere, not just in school.

8. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 16, 2012

It definitely affects how I teach. I try to remember that each students is a fingerprint of God.... sometimes I have to remind myself that each child is a child of God and is therefore loved and valued just because of that....
    I work at a christian school, but definitely want to get into a public school soon!

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 16, 2012

I'm not religious, and that's a very big part of who I am! I think it's important for the kids (and some of my coworkers) to see that I am a good person who doesn't lie, cheat or steal and I do it without the the idea of reward or punishment from a greater power.

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

My faith is the most important part of my teaching. It causes me to try to be fair, loving, compassionate, honest, and so on. It makes me want to be true to my employer with on-time arrival, good use of my time, and my best foot forward every day.

11. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 16, 2012

I get what you mean. I don't think God gives punishments or rewards either :) God loves us the same no matter what we do/don't do.

I definitely understand what you mean. The kids need that role model.

12. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Apr 16, 2012

:yeahthat:

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

I think those who argue they can't be Christian in public schools need to do some serious reflection. If the apostles could be Christian in Rome under Nero I think today's Christians can handle an antagonistic bureacracy.

So yes, it affects my teaching.

14. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Apr 16, 2012

My faith has helped make me who I am and it has an impact on me every day. In that way, it has shaped my beliefs and my teaching philosophy, not to mention my philosophy for interacting with people.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2012

I'm an atheist and it definitely affects the way I teach. The reason being is because I try to teach tolerance for all. When kids bring up religion or God in class I let them know how everyone can believe what they want and we shouldn't look down on someone because they think something different. They ask me if I believe in God and I always say "why does it matter?" because you should treat everyone the same no matter what they believe.

Though I also tell them the same thing when they ask if I'm a lesbian. I'm not, but it shouldn't matter either way. You should like me and everyone else as people.

16. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 16, 2012

Good views.... I am a christian and value the exact same things :) Actually being a christian and follower of Jesus motivates me to treat others with the love God has for all of us

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 16, 2012

I try to be impartial to all faiths, which is hard to do in science class, because of hot button topics in the curriculum including evolution and the Big Bang Theory.

One day somehow, the students got into a religious debate when we were discussing atoms and how they make up everything. I guess a few of them thought that was contrary to their religious beliefs (which it is not, being raised in both protestant and Catholic religions, and my dad being a pastor has made me very educated on Christian doctrine).

I find myself having to reiterate a few times that science is not an opposing religion or a religion at all, and we deal with explaining the physical world through evidence and theoretical constructs. Next year, I plan to have a unit based on differentiating science from belief systems and discussing how sometimes the two clash, but also how to tell them apart. Social studies in science! Multidisciplinary yay!

18. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 16, 2012

God and science definitely go together. Whether God created us as part of evolution, or the world by big bang theory does not conflict with christian/ religious views..... that is my view at least, i know more fundamentalist churches would disagree etc.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 16, 2012

My faith and the culture that spring from it don't directly affect my teaching. However, much of it has made me who I am, especially considering how I was bullied as a kid for being a religious minority. All in all, I'd say it's more the reaction of others to my religion that shapes me than my faith itself. It makes me extremely sensitive to those in the minority.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 16, 2012

Naturally my faith influences who I am as a person, but it does not influence what I teach. Teaching my religious preferences has. I place in my classroom. I teach my subject, English, which includes discussing beliefs other than my own. Learning about other beliefs helps me to strengthen my own.

Sometimes I have parents who disagree with some of the literature and tell me religion has no place in public schools. I counter that teaching of a particular religion as the best religiOn has no place in public school, but being exposed to other beliefs is a whole other thing.

21. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 16, 2012

Yes! And I try to point this out a few times. Not usually to my students because I don't really like to get into religious debates and try to show no preference over one religion or the other, but a lot of people I know can't separate the origin of the universe from evolution, when evolutionary theory only states that things change over time.

It's basically were all animals created as they are and stayed the same way over millions of years or did they start out as different forms and changed due to environmental pressures, and there is tons of evidence (fossils, bacterial evolution in labs, etc.) to support that creatures do change over time and do not remain static. I like to point out that many of the staunchest supporters of evolution ARE Christian and in fact find no contradictions between evolution and their faith. The only issues occur when you are a Biblical literalist.

22. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 16, 2012

And i believe that being a biblical literalist doesn't mean that you are necessarily following and being a disciple of Jesus :)
    It can make some people mean and exclusivist.... but i know loads of great christians from both sides.

23. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 16, 2012

This.

I think one of the best parts about being a student is that they get to interact with a lot of different types of teachers with different beliefs, morals, etc. Christian, Hindu, Judaism etc. All faiths, religions, even atheism (my chosen drink) has something to teach. The opportunity to learn tolerance and be exposed to different belief systems.

I may not have a religion, but I do believe that this is it and we only get one shot at life, so we need to make that count. I believe in second chances and friendship and that what we do has meaning. I hope I have done my best to pass that message on to my students.

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2012

There are times when what I believe does impact how I instruct and what I say about certain topics.
    There are some things I do not agree with and I say that to students, I phrase it with "some scientists believe it while others do not." Then if I get into more detailed conversations with individual students I will give a little more detail.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 16, 2012

This:love:

26. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Apr 16, 2012

My faith definitely shapes my belief system, and it helps me to get through some of the "rough" days of teaching.

27. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2012

Amen to that!