Does your class make Christmas gifts?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mrs_B, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Dec 8, 2007

This is my first year teaching 4th grade. Do you have your students make a gift for their parents for Christmas? If so, do you have any project ideas? I have been looking but most seem to be geared towards younger kids. TIA!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 9, 2007

We make gingerbread houses on the last day of school before vacation, so I suppose those could be considered a family gift. Other than that, I don't do anything.

4. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Dec 9, 2007

We've spent the last couple weeks writing Christmas stories and making them into books. On the last day before Winter Break, the kids will read their stories to their parents, and bring the books home as gifts.

But if you're looking for a quick project, I also found some cute ... what's that foamy paper-stuff called that you get from craft stores? Anyway, I bought foam-paper doorknob hangers that the kids decorate. Those were 3 for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. We'll be making them for Fun Friday this week.

5. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

We are making ornaments this year. One of our third grade classes used the clear balls and poured one drop of paint in it and rolled it around. Then they added a few different colors. It turned out beautifully.
    Also, in years past we have just taken a snapshot of the kids and put it in a frame and let the kids make cards to go along with it. Very simple and not time consuming.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 9, 2007

The last few years my classes have made hand dipped pretzles. I buy the thick pretzle sticks and they dip them in white or dark chocolate bark, then roll them in sprinkles, nuts (if no allergies) chopped up peppermint sticks, etc. Each child makes 6 or so, and then puts them in a celophane bag, and makes a bow. Our whole school also makes hand-dipped candles. The kids wrap these up as well.

I keep the chocolate bark warmed up in a sauce pan on top of a burner (the kind used to make melted crayon art.) I plug it in, newspaper the floor and let two or three kids have a turn at a time. It's a great activity for the half day school is out before the break.

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

We do the clear ornaments as well. I buy the large ornaments and the kids paint the outsides however they like. I also buy the small ones and we swirl the paint inside. The kids love them. The only trick is getting them home in one piece!

8. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Dec 24, 2007

xmas gifts

This is what I do...it sounds like a lot of work but it isn't really. My4th graders handle it pretty well.

First, I buy my kiddos small terra cotta pots (the 2" diameter ones) and they paint them (holding them upside down). Then when they dry I paint a finish over them. I also have the kiddos string a bell onto a piece of ribbon. They pull the ribbon through the hole in the pot & tie a loop. This becomes a bell ornament. They turn out very cute!

9. Mysterywoman

Mysterywoman New Member

Dec 25, 2007

Dove Soap gifts

The mom who planned our class party had a bar of Dove soap for each student. She had a 12" x 2" remnant of fabric to wrap around each bar and secure it with a drop of hot glue. Then she had another smaller strip of fabric to tie around the soap, tie a bow, and attach a gift card with raffia. It was quick, simple, and cute. I provided tissue for the kids to wrap the gifts for someone in their family. They loved it!

You could also adapt this for Easter or Valentine's day. For Valentine's you could get red tulle or net and wrap the soap.:love:

10. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 26, 2007

This is my first year too. I just had mine make ornaments (the same swirled paint kind cameroncrazie talked about) and figured they could do what they want with them - give them as gifts or just take them home and put them right on the tree. They were pretty easy, not messy (except for a couple of kids who managed to make a mess LOL), turned out really cool, and the kids loved them!

11. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Dec 29, 2007

I bought these cute little white fabric photo albums from Oriental Trading. The kids can use their markers to decorate them and we put a photo inside.

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Dec 29, 2007

We made votive holders. I bought glasses at Wal-Mart. They were 4 for $1.92. So I spent around $10 for my 20 students. I bought some sponge paintbrushes and they brushed the glue on the glass. Then they sprinkled glitter all over the glass. They set up over night. I brought in tea-light candles to pop in. We finished them by wrapping them in a piece of tissue and tying them off with ribbons. Very cute and cheap.