Does your administrative team...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mami1Maestra2, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

Oct 4, 2019

Laugh and belittle teachers behind their backs? Pass notes and giggle during professional developments, and just generally act like a nasty high school mean girl clique?

It's going to be a long year. :(

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Oct 4, 2019

Yep, all the time. That's "family" for ya.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2019

Holy heck, that's a corrosive environment!

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2019

Yep!!!! I am so done...like stick a fork in it done. Fortunately, I am not 1 they do it to.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 6, 2019

I've seen it happen too. It creates a terrible work environment.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2019

Those are the administrators that I did my best to avoid.

However, some times karma bites back...I had an administrator one year who had a target on the back of any teacher who had the nerve to raise questions. I quit that school and moved on at the end of the year and found out later that the P was removed for embezzlement.

8. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 6, 2019

I'm answering this as an admin but in my building, we have three admins: the principal, vice principal (myself), and our lead guidance counselor. We try to be very professional in all of our meetings, pd's, etc. Our principal doesn't like cellphones being used during meetings or what have you, by anyone, and we're all very careful to adhere to this. He's very firm that all of us (including teachers) should be "here, now" I.e — what is happening at this very moment is what we're paying attention to.

If we have the occasion to talk about teachers when they're not there, it's not belittling or making fun of them. It's a matter of how can we help, this was brought to our attention, etc. We're very up front with everyone — if there's an issue, we're going to address it with the source.

What you're experiencing is completely unprofessional and should not be tolerated.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2019

Definitely not. My admin is very professional and also down to earth. I've never experienced this with admin at my old school either.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Oct 6, 2019

"Does your admin team . . .Laugh and belittle teachers behind their backs? Pass notes and giggle during professional developments, and just generally act like a nasty high school mean girl clique?" No, my admin team doesn't act like this, but there is a teacher clique that this describes perfectly. Does it bother me? No, because cliques are going to form as the numbers of people available increase. It is a way of finding "like", and humans like being with other like-minded individuals. Just the way it is. I treat them now the same way my mom taught me to deal with it when I was in HS - ignore them, ignore their rudeness, and be a better example of a human being. Might not work for everyone, but it has brought me peace.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 7, 2019

I think most schools have the above described clique. The odd thing is that, in my experience, the grade-level is usually a strong team of teachers. Unkind individuals, though.