Does you school require uniforms?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Master Pre-K, Jul 15, 2007.

1. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I ask the boys if they are going to wear that dress all day. That makes them tuck it in pretty quickly!!!!

2. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

I am too heavy to be a tucker. I do my best to look neat and professional anyway.

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I never ask my Pre-K kids to tuck. Most of the shirts are out. I don't think it looks sloppy. We have a rule on socks at our school- they must be all white and cover the ankles. The low cut socks are popular here. I guess ankles are too seductive. :rolleyes: I let my Pre-K kids wear jewelry. If they start taking it off, it goes in the cubby. The same goes for headbands and hair ribbons.

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

Upsadaisy- I'm not a tucker for the same reason!!!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Some people are large but carry their weight better than I do! It is a problem, isn't it Dzenna?

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

So I see we have a lot of nontuckers. Glad I'm not alone, but, I'm still wanting to hear from teachers who work in schools where you have to enforce the tucking. How do you handle it for the kids who aren't tuckers? How do you handle it when you aren't a tucker either?:confused:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Our kids are in blazers. The untucked shirt doesn't show (much) if the blazer is on.

8. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

First, I think untucked elongates a body that is not naturally slender. If course, the shirt cannot be too long or it looks sloppy. Second, Zoe, you got me thinking, should we make children tuck if they feel better about themselves untucked? I would HATE to be made to tuck. We have a handful of kids in 4-8th that wear a sweatshirt or sweater all day, I think because of a tucked shirt and bad body image. It really makes me think....

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

It always breaks my heart when I see a child wearing the same old sweater or sweatshirt every day, regardless of the weather, because I KNOW why tey're doing it and I just want to tell them I understand and it doesn't matter but, at a certain age, it matters the world to them to stay covered up so you just have to respect that. My own daughters went through the cover up thing when they were first developing. Even in the summer, they would wear a jacket. Drove me nuts!!! But, eventually, they grew more comfortable and less self conscious. Those were difficult times for all of us. But, yeah, kids not wanting to tuck must be rough...I'm glad some of you are saying they wear vests or blazers to still be allowed their dignity and modesty.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 18, 2007

I wasn't going to stick my nose in this one, for ovious reasons, but I do have a cousin that was in a homeschool group that was so prestigious that they had a dress code! (green polo, blue or kahki pants)

Most of the schools around here do have a uniform (I think) because I see the blue skirts and white shirts and the beige pants.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Last year a kid asked why I didn't tuck if he had to. I told him that teachers had their own dress code. We only had one girl with lots of phobias who we did not require to tuck. The rest tuck and if they are self-conscious, they tend to wear their school jacket or sweatshirt. Since the air conditioning tends to make lots of rooms cool, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I hate to see them outside in the heat. Our children, grades 1-8, change to T-Shirts and shorts for P.E. A few of them wear sweatshirts all year round.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Oh, I know. It is hard to watch. And smell.

14. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

LOL

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

I had the hardest time adjusting to that too...

assembly outside
    gym outside
    lunch outside

seems strange, as a kid..I always wanted to go outside!

then, I moved to California...

too hot and distracting for me!

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

belated happy birthday!

I rather see a dress, than to see them saggin! (showing their underwear, with pants hanging off!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

and by the way....how did we ever manage without velcro!

hate it, love it, got a case of it?? In every color???

do you think it slows down shoe tying??? Or, do you wish every pair of shoes had velcro!

who was that ingenious person who let those stickle bug plants get stuck on his pants, and is filthy rich now!!!

18. shantroy

shantroy Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

My school requires the 7-girls to wear a grey kilt, green knee highs with white blouse, tie(several types that you can earn i.e. sports tie, leadership tie etc) and green blazer with school crest. 7-9 boys: grey dress pants, white dress shirt, green blazer, and tie.
    10-12 girls plaid kilt, white blouse, tie, black knee highs and black blazer. 10-12 boys, grey dress pants, white dress shirt ties and black blazer. All students must wear black polishable dress shoes. All clothing must be bought from the school uniform supplier.

We have a summer uniform, black shorts and a golf shirt for the boys and kilt and golf shirt for the girls. They can wear black sandals, but not sport sandals and they must wear socks with the the sandals.

Student's receive detentions for uniform infractions. Three detentions and the student receives a Saturday morning detention.

As teacher's we don't wear uniforms but are expected to dress up.

19. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

You are too funny!

BTW, thanks for the bday message!!!!

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

your welcomed! Now, how do you keep their shoes tied?!

21. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

My school started out with khaki bottoms and green/white polo shirts. It actually looked really nice. Then, with our district boundaries changing all the time, students were moving to different schools every year and having to purchase new uniforms because each school had their own colors. So, the district decided to allow students to wear navy/khaki bottoms and they can wear green/white/maroon/purple/navy/blue/light blue polo shirts.