Does you school require uniforms?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Master Pre-K, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2007

Hello to All,

I was just in the "In what area do you teach" thread, and thought about a basic connection we may share:

Do your kids wear uniforms??

Is it full garb..head to toe, matching hair barrettes for girls, ties for boys, down to their, white socks and black-shoes-only?

Or is it yuppie style with the polo shirt and khaki pants.

One school where I worked made the teachers wear uniforms too! You always knew when some stranger was in the building or on the playground.

Are they strict about uniform code? No dress, sent to office? Or do you have a closet with extras, and they get a note home?

Are your parents required to purchase uniforms from the school, or can they buy them from regular stores??

I teach pre-k, and I have seen in on our level too! Personally, I think it is a little harsh. Can't run, play, explore and get messy in a plaid wool skirt! But you know they do! And tear up lots of tights in the process!

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

At our school, the kids are required to wear shirts with collars in navy or white, and khaki or navy pants. (This got diluted by the end of the year to include denim pants or shorts, but not raggy or decorated ones.) The girls can wear khaki or navy skirts or jumpers. Parents can buy them anywhere.

This is the expectation, but many students come in very un-uniform garb, and last year, not much was done to correct the situation. Students were given uniform shirts to change into for the day, and sometimes a note was sent home, but since there were no consequences, nothing much happened.

This coming year, the principal is talking about a system of consequences after so many violations, and I'm afraid that the implementation of the system will fall on the teachers, as usual.

I can't imagine being told that teachers have to wear uniforms! The district implemented a new staff dress code last fall (no jeans, no athletic shoes, no "flip flops", etc.) and there was enough complaining about that!

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

Yes, when it gets hot, and if you are working with little ones, you need comfortable dress.

well, flip flops, IMO just should be worn in school. You need those toes covered, and you have to run sometimes!

I was an aide and also did student teaching at schools that required teacher uniform. Even the principal looked like a penguin who was lost with her white waitress blouse, navy suit, and navy pants.

I like blue, so I could wear it every day! Never had a shortage of white polo shirts. Simple, wash and wear sweaters were kind of hard to find, so I got some girls size 16 plus! But I could never wear a skirt, because I would be mistaken for a six grader. :rolleyes: People actually started bossing me around until I rolled my eyes, and pulled out my lunchroom whistle!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

No, but I wish we did.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I guess I work at the yuppy style school...polo shirts and khaki pants. If they don't have the right colors or clothing styles, they are sent to the office and given something correct to wear as well as a copy of the uniform policy to take home.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

We have uniforms at our school (even in pre-k) during the school year. During summer we don't. Our parents for the most part seem to like it because it is easier to get the kids up and ready in the morning, plus they can get their school clothes painted etc and I don't have to hear about their "designer" clothes getting messed up. Some of my three year old kids supposedly living in absolute poverty have coats, clothes and shoes costing an exhuberant amount of money. Of course, I don't know the actual price and peopel sell stuff and knock off stuff on the bus all the time, but still. THEY ARE THREE. This is an entire differerent rant. I tell you if and when I have small children (I guess I'm making one of those statements)- my children will wear jeans and t-shirts and onsies and comfy clothes. Oh and they will not be allowed to wear overalls between the ages of 3 and 7! Snowsuits will also not be of the overall variety during these ages!

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Most of the schools here use the "yuppie" system, where the uniform pieces can be purchased almost anywhere. Generally they consist of polo shirts in any of three solid colors: white and the 2 school colors (ex: purple and gold), and the option of a white button down shirt/blouse. Pants have to be khaki and one other color -- generally the darker of the school colors, navy, or black. Shorts, skirts, and skorts (all of which are allowed) must be no shorter than 1" above the knee, and have the same color scheme as the pants. There are also a plaid option for the girls -- either a jumper or a skirt. Shoes must be closed-toe. They tried harsher requirements, but they didn't work. Socks must be worn with shoes or stockings (tights?) (no color requirement). No hats at all, not even the knitted ski caps. All coats/jackets/sweaters must fit the school code (generally the darker of the two school colors), and must have NO DESIGNER LABLE showing on the outside. Jewelry, barettes, and scrunchies, etc. must be "in good taste and not gaudy". That's up to the principal's discretion/mood/tastes. Some of the high schools have begun disallowing "multicolored" or un-natural hair colors. Again, up to the principal. School spirit shirts are the only non-uniform shirts allowed, and include t-shirts and sweat shirts. Most of the schools here do not require teacher uniforms, but most of the teachers and administrators do wear them, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is saving their good clothing for not as messy situations! I know that I hardly EVER wear white, because before the day is out it is tie-dyed! I personally like the idea that "strangers" are immediately identifyable.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I agree! I just love (sarcasm intended) those families in which all members are wearing nikes and sketcher and real polo shirts, and everyone has an ipod and a cell phone, but they have to have food stamps and free lunches to eat! RRRRRRRRRRR don't get me started! LOL
    No problem here -- I believe that kids should wear clothing appropriate to the situation. I have no problem with jeans (clean, non-ripped) at church -- my 19 month old grandson goes to church with us in all camoflage! Half the time, I wear jeans to church.

No snowsuits needed here, but you better have rain gear! LOL. Why no overalls? I think they are adorable!

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

Because kids that age have an impossible time getting them off and I've been nearly peed on to many times.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

Btw we pretty much have the tradtional CPS uniform. Everyone wears the same color bottoms and same color top (though ours are not white- like many schools- So we often know when "visitors" from nearby elementary schoolsa are on our school grounds). I wouldn't call it "Yuppie" though. I'd call it traditional school uniforms. Our kids can wear long pants, shorts, skorts, or jumpers. They just have to be the right colors. A lot of the girls do wear jumpers. It doesn't stop them on the playground at all.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

My daughter had a navy nike skort, and was sent to the office, and promptly given masking tape to wear the rest of the day.

I served as a disciplinarian, and was sent all the offenders! They cried because they couldn't have gym! They even sent down to the lunchroom for their trays, and we had to eat together, like jail! after awhile, the teachers used it as an excuse to dump people. "Look, he is missing a button!" they just didn't want to be bothered with their kids! It turned out to be a mini tutoring class for me!

I liked the idea of staff in uniforms. We always knew when a parent, or some cranky board member, or sub was walking around! They stood out like a sore thumb!

and...whenever some neighborhood kid tried to walk on the playground to start a fight..we swooped down on him like security on a crazy fan at a baseball game!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

turtle, you wouldn't want to know the actual price of that stuff.

I certainly agree, you don't need designer shirts when you are three! The parents are more concerned with how they look, as opposed to what they learn or how they behave. It does not add up! Your family partnership with Head Start says you have no income, and you want to go back to school. How can you afford all these leather Baby Phat jackets for three year olds??:confused:

I never had a leather jacket -period!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

because things (and hands) have a tendency to get in them! Also, some walk around with them saggin' (hanging low enough to show their underwear) and the straps are off, and are a constant plaything...buckles are weapons, for popping people you don't like

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

oh, yeah...that too :D

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

I'm in a Catholic Jr/Sr HS.

Here's our uniform:
    Girls:
    Grades 6-8: grey jumper, maroon blazer
    Grades 9-10: grey skirt, blue blazer
    Grades 11-12: blue skirt, grey blazer
    All with uniform white blouse, tie, pantyhose and penny loafers

Boys: Grades 6-8: grey pants, maroon blazer
    Grades 9-10: grey pants, blue blazer
    Grades 11-12: blue pants, grey blazer
    All with white shirt, belt, uniform tie, dress socks, penny loafers.

It's great!! You can make an educated guess as to the grade a student is in, just by taking a look at the uniform. The kids look neat.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

how logical is that??? design by grade level!

Nothing more aggravating than a 3 year old with holes in her tights!

looking up at you to fix it!

now can you do something about those half-dressed people at Penneys and Home Depot? They throw on a name tag, and maybe an apron over whatever they left the house in!

Usually not much!

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Have you noticed? (At least here) Walmart has changed to uniforms! Blue polo shirts and khakis! I love it, no more jeans down to their knees or combination bra/pocketbook showing!

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

I don't think the design by grade level would work as well at our school because parents do a lot of hand me downs and kids are often not the right size to get the right color. If that makes sense. Plus a lot of kids keep the same uniforms for a few years if they can.

Our kids don't seem to care about the runs/rips in the tights.

Though I catch many of them trying to steal baby wipes because "My daddy bought me these new shoes this weekend and said DON'T GET THEM DIRTY." Take a wild guess what color these shoes almost always are..... and THEY ARE SHOES. THEY ARE THERE TO GET DIRTY... (I used to "dirty up" my white keds before they "looked right" when I was little. That's bringing it back!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

Good point about the hand me downs. With HS kids, they tend not to fit after 2 years, so the kids are ready for new uniforms anyway.

In addition, the dean collects any that are unwanted. That way, she has an emergency stash for kid who spill, rip, or forget to pick up the drycleaning after a vacation and have no uniform.

21. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I teach at a Catholic Pre-K where uniforms are required. White polo shirts, navy skorts, shorts, or pants, a peterpan blouse, or plaid jumper, red sweater or sweatshirt. Shoes can be white, blue, or red tennis shoes or black dress shoes. This really works for me because I have no issues with fancy clothing that can't get dirty and inappropriate shoes. Also, we have no issues with belts or buttons when the kids use the bathroom. The uniform supply is kind of expensive (my kids went to the school) but washes well. The uniform supply offers bows and headbands, but many of the girls wear their own. We go easy on the shoes in Pre-K and Kinder. If they kids wear Payless Spiderman or Dora tennis shoes, its not a problem. The parents have asked for "free dress" on field trip days, but I love the uniforms because as the other posters have said, I can always distinguish my kids from the others.

22. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

My school requires uniforms and I love them! They can only wear red, white, or blue polos, and khaki or navy pants, skirts, shorts, or jumpers. Only solid color belts. No flip flops, slide shoes, etc. The best part: all shirts have to be tucked in! That's great because our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade boys like to wear polos that are 4 sized to big and hang down to their knees--that usually stops when they have to tuck it in :)

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

One of the things I love (one of many actually!) is that we don't have uniform requirements and the kids love it too! Trust me...we still have restrictions and the kids know not to abuse it or we will switch to uniforms "like that"!
    We are allowed very casual wear as well. Works for us!

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Oh, yeah! Thanks for the reminder, agdamity! All students must tuck shirts in, and pants MUST have belt loops and be belted. I have known principals who would provide a belt for a student (usually in high school, so they know better to begin with) in one of 2 ways: have the student wear a "lost and found" belt, if there is one to fit, or use an industrial size (white plastic) zip tie in the place of the belt. This is generally done to boys (as they are the largest group of offenders), so they don't end up with problems doing #1, if you get my drift.

25. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 16, 2007

pwhatley: my school does the same thing with the zipties! It's amazing how all it takes is 1 time and they never forget a belt again :)

26. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

yep, yep, uh-huh, you got it! :D And I just sit back and smile!

27. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Yes, navy bottoms -- pants, skirts, capris, short, skort

Tops solid hunter green or solid white with a collar or a school T-shirt

Any jacket worn indoors has to be solid hunter green or white

If they are out on uniform they have to call a parent or put on something from the supply available at school

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

The worst thing I experienced as the parent of a student in uniform was shopping for the jacket/coat! Hers had to be solid navy blue, and could have NO external labels or text! It took me several weeks of hard looking to find one that (a) met the school requirements, (b) fit my daughter, and (c) my daughter would actually wear! (think middle school, hormonal female, 'nuff said!) Other than that, I LOVE uniforms!

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

that was the only way!

and if you had some Red Ball Jets, they were 'the anything at all, you could ever really wanna do shoes!'

or PF flyers!!!

OMG, my kid had a new pair of Jordan's (she bought with her money), and was in the bathroom spraying them down with Windex! Mind you, she never touched the mirror or faucet with that Windex!

30. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 17, 2007

One year our school had strict shoe requirements. Black, white, or blue tennis shoes with no logos. My son found an Airwalk with a white logo. I colored it in with black sharpie and it worked!!;)

31. WindyCityGal606

Jul 17, 2007

How FUNNY!! My daughter needed plain black gym shoes for marching band and ALL the ones we found had color logos so...we got out the handy dandy black permanent marker!! LOL

32. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

We have uniforms, but students are still able to showcase their identity with accessories.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Does that mean tongue rings and 55 barrettes in their hair?

34. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 17, 2007

We have uniform (standardized dress)

Tops: Any solid color or school spirit shirt
    Must have collar and sleeves (most kids wear polos)
    Must be tucked

Bottoms: Navy, Black, Khaki
    Pants, shorts, skirts, skorts, jumpers
    Belt worn (2nd grade and up)

Shoes: No flip-flops
    Must have a back
    Socks worn (unless wearing sandles)

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

how do you feel about sandals??? In some climates, it is a must! but I keep hearing that for safety issues (falling file cabinets??) running and slipping, etc., they discourage sandals.

teachers also must follow this rule...and nobody does! (well, except yours truly...I can wear Nike's forever!)

and the hair accessory issue...is it really an issue??

I personally do not see the sanity in 59 barrettes in a kid's head. (Yes, this seems to be a real issue for me :p ) When my kid was little, most she ever had was ten. And only two colors! any more made her look like a Christmas tree!

It just irks me when these girls come in with a braid or ponytail right smack dab in the middle of their forheads! With a barrette on the end it! Excuse me....but this is just plain stupid...IMO. These kids are going to go crosseyed! They get scratched on the nose by these ridicoulous things! And the preschoolers just love to pull them out and chew on them!

I find too many hair accessories become a distraction to their learning. And a potential choking hazard!

Of course, I don't like light-up shoes, or the ones that talk or sing to you either!!

and who decided to put skate wheels on gym shoes??

just my rant for the evening!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Now I'm talking about my own kids, since they're not in uniform.

I am the ONLY mom in my town who will not allow her daughter to wear flip flops to school in the warm weather. Julia has assured me time and time again that I'm totallly unreasonable; ALL the other kids wear them.

Sorry, sweatheart: I see it as a safety issue. If there were ever a fire, you cannot move quickly in flip flops. As long as the sandal has a back, I'm fine. But you cannot and will not wear flip flops.

I've never seen the polytail in the middle of the forehead look; how bizarre!!

And my kid's school doesn't allow the heeliez (and they do enforce that rule) so it's a non-issue with Brian.

37. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Oh, no! Belts, shoes, headbands, earrings, etc. Some are sporty with tennis shoes, others wear cute frilly socks with dress shoes...stuff like that. Our only rule on shoes is no flip flops. Sandals must have a back.

38. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

Heelies (sp?) are silly!! I guess if your child is a toddler and you need to pull them along anyway, wheels may come in handy!! LOL! I remember quite a few instances when I'd wished my kids had wheels on the bottoms of their feet!!! You know those days, where they expect you to drag them by the hand becasue they are being lazy and slow and they are too heavy to carry around any more!! LOL
    All toddlers should sprout wheels for ages 2-4!!! LOL

39. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

The private schools all have uniforms here. The Catholic schools have the full out plaid skirts, slacks, and white blouses/shirts with ties. The non-denominational ones and Lutheran ones have the khaki's and polo's. There is none in the public schools, although I wish we did. It would save me a ton of $$$ on school clothes and then kids aren't as worried about wearing the "in" things so much. I'd be all for uniforms...for teachers and students. All the schools have a dress code, of sorts, though.

40. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

In the long run, I think it saves parents a lot of money. The kids just look neater, too.

I saw a kid with wheelies in the store the other day. His mother was riding on one of those motorized scooter things and he was hanging on the back and getting a free ride.

We have uniforms, thankfully. Khaki or navy pants, shorts, skorts, skirts. White or dark green collared polo with school logo. Tucked in. No wheelies at my school, no sandals on kids, either. They wear stupid socks sometimes, even mismatched ones. Pants/shorts with belt loops require a belt and we send them to the office for a borrowed one when they forget theirs.

How many times a day can you say, "Hi. Tuck in your shirt, please,"?

I still have nightmares about my old Catholic high school uniform: green and brown plaid wool skirts with about a million pleats, nylon peter pan collared shirt with a junky 'bolero' vest. Ugh.

41. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

I was never a tucked in type...even as a kid...it woud have been beyond devastating to me to be forced to tuck anything in. How do you deal with that issue with sensitve kids who simply aren't tuckers?