Does turning down a job somewhere blacklist you there for the future?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by missflower, Jul 18, 2014.

1. missflower

missflower Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

As a brand new teacher, I have chosen to turn down a job in a more desirable district for a job in a district where I did my student teaching and have mentors and a support system already in place. I wonder if, in the future, I wanted to reapply to the district I am turning down, would they not be willing to consider me? I of course tried to leave a good impression and was very polite and expressed my gratitude for the opportunity. I think I am making the right choice, but still I feel sad about potentially burning a bridge there.

3. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

Congrats on the job! I don't think you are burning a bridge as long as you give them enough time to find another teacher. They understand that we sometimes are offered more than one position at a time and have to make the decision that is going to be the best for us.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2014

I would just say "thanks, but I already accepted a different position in the school where I did my student teaching."

5. jarofharts

jarofharts New Member

Jul 18, 2014

Yeah, I have the same problem. I recently accepted a job up north, but I live in Southern California and I want to be closer to my family. So, I'm planning on teaching up there for a year first, then I will move back home.

It does feel like I'm burning a bridge. Are our applications still in the file even if we don't accept the job?

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

I doubt it blacklist you. If they were willing to hire you one time, I would think they would be willing to hire you again in the future with even more experience.

7. mellow

mellow Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I don't think you burn bridges for turning down jobs. It's easier when you haven't signed a contract or agreed to accept it. When I turned down an offer, the principal thanked me for letting him know my decision.

8. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

You are definitely not burning a bridge, especially if you didn't make a commitment. Professionals understand that if there is another offer on the table, you must pick what's best for you. Because you already have the support system from the school you student taught, it is definitely best that you pick that school. You definitely did the right thing by doing what's best for you.