Does traveling for an interview speak volumes?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 10, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I flew out for a screening interview in this district ($250 flight) and now I am going to the interviews two weeks later ($230 flight) NO MONEY!!! lol

I did not even attempt to request a phone interview. I am flying almost 3 states away.

Do some P take that into consideration at all? Am I guaranteed a job from this??? LOL (somebody just say yes):lol::lol::lol:

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I believe so. I did the same thing as you, I flew from Ohio to New Mexico twice, once for a job fair and once for interviews, and I had 4 interviews and 4 offers.

Remember to be passionate in your interviews. Speak of your classroom experience, share your ideas and passions. Oh, and mention that you are coming from another state and you are excited about that particular school district/school.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2009

I think so too. I flew out to Texas for a job fair then was contacted for an interview two weeks later so I flew back out and then 2 weeks later, I was offered the job via phone! They interviewed many more after me but they chose me!!!!! (I only stayed 4 months however because I had to return to my home state for personal reasons, but the point is that yes, I do think they take that into consideration.)
    Good Luck!

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2009

They know that you are incurring expense to interview with them. At the very least, they are seriously interested. they wouldn't ask you to travel unless they were serious. No guarantees though I guess.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2009

I think it shows your seriousness in moving to that location and can definitely help your chances.

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I'm so excited. This P is really interested in me so hopefully I will come back with some good news. I just wish the interview was sooner so I can hear some good news sooner.
    I am traveling really far and I know she realizes this.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2009

Where are you going to, MsBee?? Good luck! This job hunting out of state is really hard! I'm so happy you've taken the advice of many here as well as giving us advice! : ) Let us knwo what happens!!

9. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

I'm going to VA.

I just hope I come back with something. I cant stress that enough!!! I am so ready to just realize and start looking for things for my class and looking for an apartment and packing!!!

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I'd love to say yes and give you a guarantee:) I can't but I think it speaks volumes and here is why. Back when I used to interview people at my company, I would never ever have out of state people fly in unless I was pretty darn sure I was going to hire them. I didn't want them to waste their money or time, or get their hopes up. So I think they are very serious and obviously you are too.

11. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 10, 2009

Well let me ask you this....how can she tell just from my coverletter and resume that she is "pretty darn sure she wants to hire me".

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to get my hopes up but I am so excited and nervous at the same time. This will be my official 2nd interview ever...no including my screening interviews.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 11, 2009

I don't know, and like I said not guarantees. Did you talk to her on the phone at all? Does she know you are flying in or did you tell her you would be in the area?

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 11, 2009

I def think it matters. All the best! I hope you get offered the job on the spot!:)

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I hope it matters!!!

Keep us posted and good luck!!

15. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

Do you mind sharing what school district it is? I just went out-of-state to two job interviews in VA and I'm curious if it was the same one! Send me a PM if you rather not post it here. :)

16. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I hope it matters for you too. Good luck!!

17. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

To respond to your question...I'm hoping that traveling from out-of-state speaks volumes too. But, I have a feeling that there are many others who do the same so I don't know how much they weigh travel as a factor in their decision making. Good luck to both of us!

18. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 11, 2009

Lets just all hope it works out for me and everyone else. I don't want to come back with bad news so I am not getting my hopes up too much.

19. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I definately think traveling for interviews helps--it shows how serious you are about the job. A few weeks ago, I travelled to another state (about 1300 miles round trip) for a job interview, and the principal told me several times how much she appreciated that I was willing to make the trip. A few days later, she called and offered me the job.

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 11, 2009

YEAY!!!!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2009

MrD~you leaving TX?

22. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Yep! I'm going to be teaching 5th grade at a Catholic school in Kansas!

23. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

Congrats!! Sorry we're losing a Texan. My brother and SIL live in Kansas.

24. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 12, 2009

You guys I have been thinking about this thread...A LOT!!!!
    I don't want to get my hopes up but everyone I talk to says if they know you are flying out and want to work around your schedule to get you in then they are really interested and may end up hiring me when I get there.

You guys I have so many feelings going on right now.
    I dont want to mess this up. Its getting down to the wire and I will be DEVASTATED if I don't get a job.

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I wish you the best of luck! Try not to stress yourself out or put too much pressure on yourself though.

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

Calm down and take a deep breath. Just take it one step at a time.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

Flying out shows that YOU'RE interested. It doens't guarantee that their interest level matches yours.

I don't mean to be blunt, and you know I'm pulling for you. But it's not a guarantee simply because they're interviewing you, regardless of the geography involved. So take a deep breath and tell me why I should hire you, regardless of where you come from :)

28. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

MsBee, have FUN during the interviews. Show your PASSION for teaching. Use examples from teaching experiences. Don't worry so much about having the "right" answer. Be humble and confident at the same time.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

I agree Rachael!

Hiring a teacher is a lot like dating. There's no hidden checkilist of correct responses that will make for a perfect candidate, especially given the technology we all have at our fingertips. Interviewers KNOW that candidates go online, research the district and its philosphy, and have all the right answers. If anything, those "right" answers serve only as a screening tool to see who has done their homework.

Interviews are largely about chemistry. Once you've eliminated those who aren't professional in their appearance or their resume or whatever (and you've already weeded out those whose qualifications aren't right) it's frequently a matter of "who do we think will do the best job?? It's intangible-- which is why it's so frustrating for those not hired. There's seldom anything that the non-chosen teachers could have done better, it's a matter of who we liked better.

So do your homework, finish your brochures, take the suits to the drycleaners, and work on your confidence. And line up as many interviews as you can for the time you'll be visiting-- try some schools within an hour or so of where you'll be visiting, evn if you hadn't considered them prior to this point.

30. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Jul 13, 2009

Ms.Bee...I travelled from FL to IL for my first official interview. I then waited 6 weeks after...and they interviewed 20 other candidates for the position. I then got a call back for a "2nd interview" (I had moved to IL by this point) and 2 weeks LATER they called and offered me a job. It was a 2 month process for me...but they ended up hiring 2 people who were moving long distance from FL to IL.

31. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 13, 2009

You guys are great. You always keep me from getting too frustrated!

32. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

For one of your districts at least, you went through their whole screening process, right? The online stuff, the 11 questions the screen runs down? If so, and you were called for a school interview, that means that HR has okayed you to be hired if a principal wants you. I worked in that district and they have a ton of red tape for hires, but once you have jumped through all the hoops, you are fair game for any principal. So, the principal most likely has all of that, not just your cover letter and resume.

33. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

Yea your right Mollydoll.

34. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

MsBee.

I've interviewed with a few out of state schools and I agree with all of the above posters. Take your time, have fun and take it one step at a time. No matter how much we try to read into these interviews, we'll never know what all parties are thinking.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the curriculum if possible (maybe just find out about what trends are being implemented) so that you can comment on them during your interview. The more research about an area the better. I've interviewed with schools in TX and IL and I got call backs from both with comments about how much I knew about the area and district. Principals definitely like to see that you've taken at least as much time to learn about them as they took to read your resume.

Also, you might want to talk up the particular training you've had and how that meshes with their state's requirements. Know if there are any assessments or additional coursework you'd need to take and don't hesitate to speak about this in your interview. Who knows, maybe your state/college experience gave you new ideas or extra preparation in a particular area that they're looking for.

Most of all, good luck!

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 17, 2009

When do you go?

Make sure you are calm when you get there. I think you are driving yourself crazy. In the end, they are not going to give you the job just because you paid $500 for airline tickets. So you still have to shine which I know you will!!

I'd also be prepared for a question about what you think about packing up and moving to the area.

Breathe...:)

36. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

You have prepared so much, I know you will do awesome at your interviews!

37. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

I hope! You guys are right I need to just calm down.....

38. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I completely agree with Lemonhead

39. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Hi

Personally, traveling speaks volumes but you can still get a job. I live in Nevada and just landed a great job in Alaska. I did not travel for the interview. Everythign was done either through job fair (screening interview) or phone interview.

Thanks
    Jennifer

40. kellyrosebud

kellyrosebud Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

It gives you an edge, but it's no guarantee.

Last year I was on a cross country road trip and received a call for an interview while I was in Texas. Since I had a weeks notice, I was able to compare flight costs from our next two destinations (Georgia and Tennessee.) I hopped a flight, went to the interview, and flew back to meet my BF for the rest of our trip.
    I didn't get the job I originally interviewed for, but a new position became avail. and I was in!
    My coworkers still recall hearing about "the girl who flew from Tennessee" (and had a kick-butt interview on top of that...the flight provided extra prep time for those interview questions!)

I wish you all the best!