Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by EverydayLearner, Jul 14, 2008.

1. EverydayLearner

EverydayLearner Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Hello all-

I received a call from a principal I interviewed with recently. He asked if I was still interested in the position- I said yes of course.
    All of my references were called today as well. Later this afternoon I received a call from the central office informing me of the items they needed ( official transcripts, official certification copy, etc. ) I was then told that I needed to be approved at a board meeting which wouldn't occur until early next month. Meanwhile I am supposed to be hired as a "sub" until I am officially hired on as a teacher after the board meeting approval.

No one mentioned anything about orientation. I was given the salary information though.

I guess the "sub" thing really throws me off- Does this sound familiar to anyone ?? THanks

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

I've never heard of that...but maybe it's just so they can get you on the payroll and get your retirement account started early. I was already on the sub list at the district I got hired on.

Congrats on the job!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

Call the principal and get clarification. You need to know about starting dates, etc. and I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you what you need to know. I think congratulations are in order!

5. HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I had an interview at the end of march and about two weeks later i got a call from the principal. he asked if i was still interested in the job and that he was going to call my references and if everything went well he would recommend me to the board of ed. about 3-4 weeks went by and i didnt hear anything. then about the first week in june i got a packet in the mail with my contract, benefit information, and other good stuff. needless to say i got the job but i never received a phone call or anything to welcome me aboard. i was so happy that i got the job that i didnt even really care. hope this helps.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

This really doesn't make sense - why would you be hired as a sub in the summer when there are not subbing jobs? You won't be on payroll as a sub unless you subbed. If your state is like mine, you have to sub more than half the school year to have time added to your retirement years. I would call back tomorrow and ask for clarifcation on what your central office means by hiring you as a "sub" until board approval.

Congrats on the new job :up:

7. EverydayLearner

EverydayLearner Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks- I have a message in to the principal. I am really happy to have been offered the position and am just trying to cover my bases.

It really feels wierd to not be actively looking for a job now.........

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

That situation has happened to people at my school when they were hired as maternity leave subs. They were going to be hired at the per diem teacher pay but had to be board approved first, so they spent a week or two making sub pay until the board meeting. I don't understand it all, but I know they've done it where I am. Hope your principal can clarify things for you. Good luck!!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Is this a permanment position or a long-term sub position?

10. EverydayLearner

EverydayLearner Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Perm position.....

11. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

When I talked to human resources today, he said that he had asked permission to go ahead and hire me without all the paperwork in and it was granted. It always has to go to the board for approval, but I've never heard of the sub thing before.

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 15, 2008

They are probably hiring you as a long term sub until they can get board approval.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Either way you have a job!! Congrats!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

Congratulations on the new job! The sub situation sounds strange, but it's probably just something this district does while they're waiting for board approval.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

I don't like it..

I had too many jobs that promised me one title and salary, but told me to come in at another, and I would be taken care of. Never happend. Another job promised me a higher starting salary, and then after I got on board, took it back.

What you come in as, is what you are...unless they are really being honest with you.

I interviewed, was hired, and told to start Monday. They said I had to be interviewed by parent also (head start rules) Parent never showed. Director said that was ok, I could interview again Monday. I came in, filled out paperwork, and sat for 2 1/2 hrs in lobby.

Parent never showed. Finally they said, well, you can go home because we can't pay you until you have 2nd interview. :eek:

3 days went by and they never called back. I finally called back and complained and demaned pay for that day of work. (and all my personal papers back!!) they told me they would pay me sub pay $10 per hr for half a day!!!

That is not fair or right by any way you look at it. Subs make a heck of a lot less that regular teachers. They said because I did not have 2nd interview, I was considered to be observing or subbing.

I want to be happy for you, but I am always leery of people changing horses in midstream. Of course the board will approve you! that is a no-brainer. But they are being sneaky. They need a body ASAP and want to bring you on beforehand. The only way to do is is to make you a sub.

And subs get paid less!

Who is to say they won't switch this job into a LTS position?? :unsure:

16. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jul 15, 2008

I know several people that were hired as subs until board approval. At my first job I was hired a few weeks in to the school year so I was considered a substitute until it was actually approved at a school board meeting. I received regular sub pay for the first ten days and then after that it went to long-term sub pay which is first year teacher salary. Now unfortunately for me, I was hired the day after a board meeting so I actually had to teach as a sub for a whole month. It makes sense to me because at least in the districts I've taught in, a teacher can not be offered a contract without school board approval. If you're not hired at the traditional start of a year, you might have to wait a few weeks for that to happen.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Hiring as a sub makes sense during the regular school year but during the summer?? The OP said the school board meets next month and the only way it makes sense is if the school board meets after school starts. I would bet they meet before school starts. This just sounds really strange :confused:

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I think they will give you a teaching position but you will be paid sub pay until all of your paper work can be checked. This happened to my friend but they hired her as a teacher for 4 months until they figured out she took the wrong test. They let her keep her job but was paid sub pay and they took back the "teacher" money that they overpaid her :(.

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

that's what worries me. honestly, I rather start later with the right pay and title. boards meet once a month. I could wait another month.

20. EverydayLearner

EverydayLearner Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Well, school doesn't start until after the next board meeting, but teacher training starts a few days before the board meeting.

So until a contract is signed ( my guarantee of a job ) , technically they could change their mind OR I could accept another offer. At least this is my take on it.

However, I am very pleased with the offer and will be happy to teach there.

21. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

My district does this for late hires sometimes, if they are hired right before school starts. LTS do not need to be board approved, but teacher's do. This allows you to start your position, and the get board approved at the next school board meeting.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

If you are happy, that's all that matters.

I say go for it! :)