Does this sound right (sub gig)?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by EZLN1, Sep 17, 2008.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

Well, a few days ago I had a teacher call me, and he left me a message.
    In the message.he said that he was in the need of someone to come and teach his class in the morning on a regular basis. I thought it was a bit fishy when he said that, and I suspected that he was trying to dump his "bad" classes on me. Worse, it was in a different subject than my credential.
    I decided to call him and get more details. He told me that he needed someone on a regular basis for 1-2 periods in the morning. I then asked him how that would work with regards to pay, as it seemed odd for me to come in only for a few periods a week, especially since subs dont get paid on a hourly wage (we actually get paid a full day even if we sub for half). He then realized he had made a mistake. He thought I was a volunteer from some organization, who had visited the school a day earlier. He found my business card in his mailbox, and thought I wanted to come in and teach.
    Is it me, or does this sound kind of shady? He is trying to get a volunteer to come in and cover 1-2 classes for him on a regular basis. I talked this over with my GF, and she told me I should report this to the principal. One thing is to get a volunteer into your class and help you from time to time. Another thing is to get someone to take over your classes on a regular basis, for no fair compensation.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2008

That does sound fishy to me. If he thought you were a volunteer, how could he be certain that you were certified? And why would he need someone to cover only 2 periods for him every day? I would contact the principal and tell him about the message, the conversation and what was said.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 17, 2008

It sounds fishy to me. I don't know about reporting it to the P though. Talk to your own supervisor first.

5. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 17, 2008

He knew I was certified, because it says so on my business card. But even then, it clearly says I am credentialed in social science.
    And I have no idea why he wanted someone to come in and cover for a few classes on a regular basis. Why bother to teach full time, if you can't commit?

And I have no supervisor. I'm a newly certified unemployed teacher:(

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

I would probably report it to the sub coordinator.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2008

It is unusual, but doesn't need to be "shady". We have a couple of teachers who are undergoing medical procedures and fertility treatments that require them to miss the first part of the day on a fairly regular basis. Our principal is aware of this and has worked hard to be able to accommodate their personal needs while also protecting their jobs.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 18, 2008

We don't get paid for a full day if we work a 1/2 day. I think we should since we use the same amount of gas to get to and from. Also, sometimes the same amount of energy.

9. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

It sounds very, very odd to me - first and second period on a regular basis. Hmmm???? I don't know what that's about.

If it were me - and I was brand new - I would just drop it. Not discuss it with anyone. Don't make waves. You don't know what's going on and, right now, it doesn't matter.

I almost always stick with the MYOB plan of action - Mind Your Own Business.

10. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

I don't mean this to sound rude, but whatever else this is, it is not your business at this point. He may be telling the truth, and if that is the case, you will look petty and small if you made a big stink over it. JMO, of course. An explanation was provided to you, your services are no longer being requested, let it go.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

I also agree it's none of your business. Just let it go.

12. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Sep 18, 2008

I wont do anything. I'm almost certain my assumption is right, considering the horror stories I've heard from that school. I dont really care about burning bridges, as I have none to begin with. And it's not like I would gain anything out of it. I was just concerned for the students. I could care less about any teacher.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2008

I have never heard of such a thing as a teacher wanting someone to permanently teach for part of the day & even if he did find someone to do it, I don't know how he'd get away w/ it even once a week. If his classes are that bad, he needs to re-evaluate his teaching &/or discipline methods or get out of teaching altogether.

But, it actually has nothing to do w/ you. However, reporting this would be a nice way to get back at him, if "someone" wanted to get him into trouble. But, he'd probably deny ever wanting to do someone like this if the principal ever confronted him about it.

14. JadeCrane

JadeCrane Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

That's what I mean - it has potential really to only bite YOU in the butt. He is a known entity and you are a "stranger"...