Does this sound promising?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BuckNutTeacher, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I interviewed via phone for a job interview in Florida. (I am currently living in Ohio). I started the process of getting my Florida certification, due to another school offering me a job, and then the person in charge of hiring got fired and they decided to redo the entire process and reshuffle teachers and positions, so the open position I was offered was no longer available.
    I got a phone call from a principal yesterday asking me for two more references and to fax my official transcript to the office, to make sure that I was eligible to teach the positions I interviewed for.

He said as long as they looked good, he could move forward. I got another call today, while I was outside working and he left me a voice mail saying that he would like me to call back to "discuss the position". I of course did, but he is in interviews the rest of the day and will call me back in the morning.

Does this sound promising, like an offer might be forthcoming? Or am I reading too much into this progression of things? I am really tired of interviewing. I have two more this afternoon, that will be bring the interview total up to 31.

3. Jedi74

Jedi74 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

i would think they would have to meet you in person first before officially offering you a job. what part of florida is it?

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 17, 2013

I think it is a good sign and you have a great shot. Many schools do offer jobs over the phone or via Skype now.

5. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Central Florida. We did do a Skype interview, and have been in regular contact since the initial interview which was Monday.
    They had me fax over my Ohio teach license and my official transcript (as well as mail an official one), and then asked me some questions about my references. I had a cooperating teacher in one of my placements who did not like me at all on a personal level and has said some outright lies about me and I basically told him what the truth was and he said they liked what they saw and would be in contact about moving forward.

As for meeting, they said if they are sure they want me in a position, I will fly down sometime next week to sign a contract, meet the rest of the staff, see the school and get set up in human resources.

But none of that's official and now I'm thinking that bad reference may be why I'm not getting anything further after I interview in other positions.

Regardless, I've done all I can at this point.

6. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I am so excited for you. I am checking out Central Florida too.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

Good luck to both of you. I was on the hiring committee today to hire two paras for my new classroom. The P mentioned that he had hired at least one person from out of state this summer. So, there is hope for you out-of-staters!

8. BuckNutTeacher

BuckNutTeacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

I can't believe I have an update already, but he called back at 4:30 this afternoon and told me he talked to my other references and didn't believe a word out of that particular cooperating teacher's mouth, because she changed her story three times in their phone conversation. He emailed me a job offer that is "provisional" which means I just need to go down next week and sign the paperwork, do my background/drug check, and submit my paperwork and then I will be put on the board for the next meeting. They said it's a formality and no one has ever been voted down once they got to that point. So it sounds like I have a job!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2013

Congrats!

10. inspireNteach

inspireNteach Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

Awesome! Congrats! :thumb:
    And welcome to the South :haha: Hope you enjoy Florida!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

Yay! So happy for you :)

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2013

Congrats!

13. panjteacher

panjteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2013

How tough is it to transfer stuff down there? I have been checking out a few counties in Central FLA for a few days and still need to get all my paperwork in.