Does this sound desperate?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by matteo49, Jul 14, 2009.

1. matteo49

matteo49 Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

So, it's getting to be mid-july. Schools in the southeast (where most of my applications are) tend to start the first week or two of August. Can they really be waiting this long?

I have one job that has interviewed me and it would be the best fit for me, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I had the interview on a Monday, the P said he'd get back to all the candidates by the end of the week. On thursday, I called and they said he was out of town for a week. So, I e-mailed and got a response that Saturday that he hadn't made a decision yet but would soon and that he was away at a conference. This after we had a 10 minute discussion in the interview about how he always gets back with the candidates and that he hates when P's don't and that if he doesn't, he welcomes someone to call or e-mail and ask what is going on.

My question is: does it look that desperate to send an e-mail and say "After interviewing, I think [school] is the best fit for me. I am commmitted to doing my best for the students at [school]. Please hire me. "

Ok, maybe worded a bit better. But is there a way to give a final push without looking too desperate? I am totally desperate for a job but I truly do think that it is a good fit for me. Any thoughts?

P.S. I'm sorry for all of you who read my posts. They are always very wordy and lengthy, lol. Thanks for reading them, though!! I do appreciate it.

3. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 14, 2009

I don't think there is anything wrong with the email, except that ending, "please hire me" ;)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

He doesn't care that he's the best fit for YOU.

He's looking for the best fit for HIS SCHOOL.

I would rephrase the email, then send it.

5. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Here is what I send out after interviews: (Obviously I changed a few things, LOL!) Hope this helps!

Dear (insert name here),

It was very enjoyable to speak with you today about the bla bla bla Position at Super Duper school. The job seems to be an excellent match for my skills and interests. I feel that I have the desirable attributes that you are looking for in your teachers. I have been searching for this type of position since I began teaching and would love the opportunity to become a member of your staff and expand my teaching skills even more with this position. In addition to my enthusiasm, I will bring to the position my desire to do the best for the students, willingness to collaborate with team members, parents and the community, and my strong work ethic.

I appreciate the time you took to interview me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you regarding this position.

Sincerely,
    Super Teacher

6. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

I like your letter, sammyrams! :) Matteo49, I just read the Jimmy Sweeney CL ebook last night again. Your email reminded me that JS says to ask for what you want. I don't know that I'd be bold enough to say "hire me" but good for you for being able to. Good luck!