Does this happen at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by chemteach55, May 2, 2014.

1. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 2, 2014

We are in 4th hour and I have had 10 students in my classroom all day. I will have 1 student in my 5th hour and 2 in 6th hour so I will have had 13 students out of 75 for the entire day. Our softball team is playing in the state finals at noon today and the students are excused from attending school if they check in with the principal at the game. The only students who are here are the boys baseball team because they have a home playoff game today and must be at school in order to play. I am not complaining but just wondering if this happens other places. We probably have more teachers here than students!

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

We have had that happen when it came to big state final championships. We don't have as few students in school, but a fair amount choose to go to the game.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 2, 2014

I think it's crazy that tournaments happen during the school day. I would be frustrated!

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 2, 2014

We don't have sports teams at my school (we are a magnet school) so no… it doesn't happen lol.

We do have a ton of field trips and visits to the university in our town though. Causes a lot of students to miss class.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 2, 2014

When I taught at a traditional campus, that kind of stuff always happened around this time of year. I think it's normal, and actually I didn't mind too much. School should be about more than just churning out the core curriculum every day.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 2, 2014

I do not really mind but we had 5 snow days that we did not make up and next Thursday is Junior Skip Day--I am so far behind where I should be.

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 2, 2014

What type of campus do you work on now? Do you mean because you teach driver's ed now?

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 2, 2014

I teach at an elementary, so no. It doesn't.
    However, when I was in high school, it happened. All. The. Time. As a teenager those were the best days. As a teacher, it would make me want to pull my hair out.

10. WordNerd

WordNerd Rookie

May 2, 2014

This time of year is crazy. I'm at a small private school and spring sports tend to wreak havoc on attendance. But it's just something we learn to work with. Kids are pretty good about doing make-up work, and since everyone has spring fever anyway, we just embrace the craziness and try to do enrichment activities instead of covering new material or giving tests/quizzes on those days.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

The school I taught at last year had this problem. I'm sure about the district I work at now since I'm not on campus every day.

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 2, 2014

No, I primarily teach English at an alternative campus for kids who get behind in their credits and need to catch up. We only have 180 kids from the entire district in our building, so we don't have sports, band, etc....

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 2, 2014

I've had days with only one or two kids in a class, or only half of the kids in a class, but not all of the classes in one day.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 2, 2014

Yes, it happens here.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2014

band~can they participate in their home campus activities like band and sports?

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 2, 2014

Not as a teacher, but when I was still in high school, our traveling show choir was regularly pulled from classes, draining certain rooms. Sports teams rarely missed classes, mostly because games were played at night or on weekends, and only Women's Basketball was good enough to make state finals.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 2, 2014

They can only participate if it occurs after school. Most of our kids aren't the activities type, sadly.

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 2, 2014

We have a small school and we have a lot of field trips and sports (games, tournaments, etc) happening, especially since March. This is another way to keep the kids focused, because in order to play they must be behaving, attend school, etc.
    So when we have 16-20 kids gone, that is about 1/4 of our school, as we only have about 80 students. Our class sizes on average are 13-16, so -4, - the absences we have on these day (more because the kids think it's ok to skip, since so many kids are gone). We end up with 5-8 kids in each class, and 1st period is even less (tardies).

I don't mind, as long as I know ahead of time, which I do. I always plan activities that are enrichment only, so they're still doing things related to the lesson, but nothing crucial/. On these days I collect their work, enter their grade, excuse those who are excused and give a 0 to those who are absent.
    It works out pretty well.

I had to do this when we had CAHSEE testing, and other large scale events.

19. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

May 3, 2014

Every year St. Patrick's day falls on a school day we have huge numbers of absences. Also the Monday after prom sees most of the seniors not here. It galls me that parents will call their children off when there is no legitimate reason for it.