Does the weather affect your mood?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

Overcast days? -- I tend to feel sleepy
    Sunny days? -- I'm energized and happy
    Rainy days? -- Depends if it's sunny or not :haha:
    Snowy days? I like snowy days so I'm happy unless I can't go anywhere for a few days.

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

Not so much day to day weather affects my mood. I am a spring and summer person. I love the warmth of the sun and the warm air. I absolutely hate the cold!!!!!! Like the last few weeks I have been in a better mood each day because I know that for the most part the cold weather is OVER!!!!!!

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

The weather affects my mood only when it causes me to have to drive an automobile instead of ride my bike to work.

So if it's not a violent pacific storm, 25mph winds, or pouring rain with temps below 50, I'm happy. Also, if it's 105 degrees or less I'm in good shape.

You left out smoggy days. Those bum me out, but I usually ride my bike anyway.

I actually like overcast days, especially if it's not raining, really cold, or windy. The sun kind of annoys me after a while with all that light it causes.

5. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

The weather most definitely affects my mood. I am a walking, breathing barometer. My head lets me know if there are any major pressure changes in the form of a migraine. My other medical condition also tunes me if rainfall is coming.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2009

Sometimes I feel like it does, but not all the time.

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 31, 2009

The only thing that really bothers me is wind. I HATE wind...it makes me feel crawly and cranky.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

Actually, I don't mind wind as long as it blows out of the northwest in the morning and shifts to the southeast in the afternoon.

Which is never.

9. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

I rely heavily on my hearing to locate myself in space. The wind completely messes up this mechanism. I hold onto my cane for dear life when it's windy out!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 1, 2009

Wind makes me edgy.

If I'm outside, the weather (regardless of what it is) makes me feel good. Or, maybe it is being outside that makes me feel good. The only type of weather that I don't like is super hot (July-August here).

But, if I'm cooped up inside, rain makes me sleepy.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2009

I'm not a moody or unpredictable type anyway. I'm very consistent. The weather doesn't really affect me. My favorite weather is cloudy in the low 70s w/ maybe a tad of sun.

12. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Apr 1, 2009

Me too! I get a splitting headache if the barometric pressure changes rapidly. If it's going to be rainy and cold, an old injury in my knee acts up making me lame. :lol:

I hate cold weather. In the winter with shortened days and too much time spent inside, I get really melancholy and tire quickly. When it's overcast and warm, I tend to get sleepy as well. When it's sunny and warm, I'm energetic, happy, and in love with the world. When it's 100* with 90% humidity (I'm originally from Virginia...and I think mid-Missouri supposedly gets the same oppresive weather sometimes), I love to roll down the windows on my car, blast classic rock, and go for a drive. I revel in the heat and I have been known to curl up in the sunshine on a blastingly hot day just to enjoy the feeling of warmth.

My fiance thinks I'm part-reptile and completely cold blooded. I absorb my heat from my surroundings. :lol:

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

I was starting to think I'm nuts, Anne. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my barometric powers, although I'm sorry to hear you get a headache and your knee acts up during pressure changes.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 1, 2009

the weather generally doesn't affect my mood that I have noticed. I am more prone to moodswings for other reasons. :whistle: The kids are as affected as the tides by the moon though.

15. Ross

Ross Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

I feel best on overcast days.

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 4, 2009

The weather does not affect my mood, but it does affect how I feel physically. When the weather is overcast, or the air pressure changes (especially when it's drastic), I get migraines that won't go away until the pressure stabilizes again.

17. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 11, 2011

We haven't come close to 70 degrees this year only a couple of days in the 60s. Today is another cloudy/overcast day. I hope the sun comes out especially this weekend!

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 11, 2011

In the winter when we have day after day after day of snow and gloomy weather, I feel cooped up and don't like it.

Hot & humid days like today (87 & sticky) make me sleepy. I felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open this afternoon.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Like many people, I'm a fan of sunny days.

But I'm also a real fan of any sort of (relatively) extreme weather. (NOTE: that means good thunderstorms, not tornados.)

I LOVE storms-- thunderstorms, blizzards, even a good 18" snowfall.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 11, 2011

Yes, yes, YES!!

I despise winter. The combination of cold and dark has me miserable. Even my worst days at work seem better if the sun is shining and it's warm out.

I've always said I'd more somewhere that was warm all the time, but I already moved 700 miles from home (partly because of warm weather!) and I don't want to go any further. I like knowing I'm a day's drive away from home in case of emergency.

21. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

May 11, 2011

Weather most definitely affects my mood. Sometimes nearly to a point of depression. It sucks, but I've been that way since I can remember.

22. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

May 11, 2011

The day-to-day weather doesn't really affect my mood. But extended weather patterns (5 consecutive rainy days, agonizingly long and hot summers, not being able to see the sidewalk a month after a particularly harsh snowstorm) will make me crazy.

23. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2011

Blizzards fascinate me, Alice ....... as long as we have plenty of food, etc in the house........ and we always do........:)

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

Us too. We could easily live for a month off all the stuff I have in the pantry. We might run out of the kids' top choices, but they wouldn't go hungry.

And, realistically, any sort of non-cataclysmic storm might disrupt deliveries for a day, max.

25. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 11, 2011

Not me! I live alone and have a tendency to stress-eat. I typically have only milk and cereal and some PB & J around...I'd be hungry after just a day :)

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2011

We have a pantry in the basement, with one of those Home Depot shelving units frequently found in garages. I stock up on things like tuna and soup, pasta and sauces, PB & J and I can't begin to imagine what else.

But I must admit: whenever a storm is coming, I hit the store. I'm not one of those panicing I NEED MILK AND BREAD!!![/B] shoppers; I like to party when there's a storm.

The day after Christmas, before the big NY Blizzard, we hit 7-11 and stocked up on all sorts of muchies before it hit :)

27. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 12, 2011

Oh my, y'all should live here in the Alaskan Rainforest!!

Rain, rain, everyday,
    when will this rain go away???

The sun kind of annoys me after a while with all that light it causes.

SARGE! Just FYI, this is not something you want to say in SE Alaska! I actually had a laughing fit when I read this. My kids are doing a little seat work (our schedules are all messed up in May so we never know what is happening next!), so I had to get myself under control.

Annoying sun light! Here, when the sun comes out, no matter the temp, kids go out for a long recess. Some businesses close early and send their employees out to enjoy the sun. Everyone is HAPPY!

I notice a drastic upswing in my mood when it is sunny. I am energized, the world seems a happier place, I am much more fun and patient in the classroom.

By the way, moved here from CA and love the rain. But the gloomy skies do tend to grate on one after . . . well, several weeks. I'm talking about 16 feet a year!

Funny thread!

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 12, 2011

I keep dreaming of moving to Ketchikan or perhaps Willow. Anything above 70 and I lose my temper much more easily.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 12, 2011

We seemed to have gloomy/rainy days all of April--and we were all grouchy towards the end of the month.

30. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 12, 2011

Today the sun came out although it's only 56 so not warm. I notice I am feeling a lot happier on these sunny days. I try not to let things I can't control affect my mood but I perk up when it's sunny outside like today. I would love to move to somewhere warm but my family is here and I know that'd be hard to actually do. We'll see.

31. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 12, 2011

I use to not think so. Being raised in Texas, I like warm (hot) days. Then I moved to Vegas for 2 years (love the weather there!!!!). When I came back to Texas I seemed a little lower (and no it was not gambling withdraw, even though I do have to go back every year or so for my fix). It was the sky. Even on our best days in Texas, our sky is not the same bright blue. It took almost a year to switch my body back to our sunny days.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2011

I've gotten over snow at this point. I don't think I'd be sad if it never snowed here again.

I love brief thundershowers...though they were so much more enjoyable growing up with a tin roof on the porch just below my upstairs window. Severe storms fascinate me.

Several days of constant rain in a row, which we had a couple weeks ago, is enough to dampen my spirits.

As others have said, wind annoys me greatly. My hair whipping around everywhere...ugh. Breezes, lovely. Wind, frustrating.

I don't realize how blah I am during the winter months until the sun arrives and I become, time and again, the best version of myself. There are very few things I enjoy more than being outside by the creek or on a blanket with my dog in the field with the warm, but not opressive, sun shining down. Beautiful skies, no power lines or houses or people or sounds other than perhaps a tractor in the distance... Rather specific, but it's perfect. :)

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 12, 2011

I think the weather can affect people's moods. One of my coworkers in the past used to be depressed every winter.

34. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 13, 2011

I'll be the oddball here. My #1 good weather is SNOW! Next is COLD! Then, overcast, rainy, and/or stormy. Least favorite--HOT! Yuck! I'm already sick of the heat!