Does the phone situation drive you crazy?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 4, 2010

Last week, I missed a call because I was in the shower. No lie.

Then, yesterday evening I was coming back from a road trip, and received a call somewhere around 6:30 that I missed. I'm not sure if I just didn't hear the phone over the car radio or if the phone died. The battery was gone by the time I got home about an hour later. Okay, that's my bad.

So...seriously...the evening call time is between 5pm and 10pm. I use my cell because if I happen to be out, I'll get the call, but given the shower thing, perhaps I need to carry it around my house with me.

It's worse than waiting for a guy you like to call you!

3. azure

azure Companion

Oct 4, 2010

Are you talking about an automated system like AESOP and do you have a real person who calls for subs?

If you are talking about a real person (like we used to have before AESOP), I probably would have called them back immediately, and just explain that I was in the shower. If they had already assigned the job, they might have another one to offer you.

If you're talking about an automated call system, I assume you can go on line and check for jobs.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 4, 2010

My dist uses the automated subcaller & they have a sub website for subs to pick up jobs. If I'm out, I hear the automated message on my voicemail, so I know to call in ASAP to try to snatch the job up OR I'll log onto the sub site to see if it's still open & if so, I get it.

For me personally, I'm not called that much. The #1 method that I'm told about jobs is actually getting emails directly from the PPS dept (pupil personnel services dept) because I mainly do speech assignments & they're usually long-term.

So for me, no, the phone situation does not drive me crazy. :)

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 4, 2010

Sorry...should have specified...it is an automated system, and subs are called in order of priority. If you miss a call, it goes to the next person on the list. They took away the online "available jobs" option because pink slipped teachers are given priority over us regular subs.

6. waffles

waffles Companion

Oct 4, 2010

Wake up earlier. I'm up at 5:30 because they start calling at 6. I can definitely be out of the shower by then.

7. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

If they call at 6 for me that great; I get in the shower by 6 on a normal planned sub day anyway!!

8. Subber

Subber Companion

Oct 7, 2010

I used to keep it in the bathroom - not too small - when I take a shower. But, I never got a call during that time (usually night). Theses days I am keeping it just outside he bathroom door - which I leave it open; I live alone - after hearing that any moisture is not goo for the phone. If I can't do that, say, I do not live alone, I'd wrap it in a T-shirt and keep it inside the bathroom.

9. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

I learned a couple years ago to always have a cell phone.

About ten years ago, I missed three days in a row because sometimes my phone would ring, but when I picked it up, it would still keep on ringing. I felt like I had entered the Twilight Zone.

It wasn't until I had lost $300 that I realized the problem.

The latch on the phone would sometimes stick and not release when I picked up the receiver, hence i lost three jobs.

In 14 years , I have probably lost over 50 jobs due to poor timing or circumstances.