Does the order of reference letters count?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 16, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 16, 2010

Filling out applications for those last minute slots...and I am wondering: Does the order you place references and reference letters count?

If I go in reverse chronological order (the newest at the top)....well that makes sense. (My latest letter is from my recent LTS assignment, and it includes the great jump that the kids made in standardized testing from right before I started until the end of my term)

But I believe that in terms of a glowing recommendations (aside from those test results) my two letters BEFORE that (from my cooperating teachers and university supervisor) might be better as a first introduction to my potential as a teacher.

Does it matter? Do committees read one and get tried before they go through them all?

Hmmmmm...what do YOU think?

Oooo, post 1,500! :party:

3. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

I always put mine in order of value to me. The one I found to be most valuable and that spoke truest to who I am as a teacher/student went on top. It also depended on the type of job I was applying to; if it was a special education position my references from my sped CT and prof went first.

I don't know if there is any proper way to do this. I was constantly changing the order. Do what you feel is best to make you stand out.

4. Michelle88702

Michelle88702 Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Mine are all from the same time period, give or take a few weeks, but I always start with the one I like the best. I figure if they are only going to look at one I would rather it be that one, but hopefully they do look at all of them!

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

;)
    I do it by reverse chronological order as you suggested. I put mine in order of importance. P first, then VP, and then Lead Teacher is the order in which I normally go. I then add a parent reference too which usually is also another teacher as I tend to end up with teacher's kids. My P reviews the resumes before our Committee meets and then we each receive a copy of the resume and cover letter. This year at the beginning of hiring season, my P allowed me to review resumes and select potential candidates because we had so many to go through. But under ordinary circumstances, I would assume it is as above. Good luck. There are jobs opening up all the time. The numbers game is kicking into high gear for our school. Just a couple more K5 bodies and we get a brand new teacher for K5! :) All the class sizes are larger than normal this year. We had lots of people moving in with relatives due to the depressed job market and many "kids" moving back to their parents' homes due to the economy and bringing their "kids" with them. It is hard times for all.:(

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 16, 2010

I would suggest the way you do that. That was how they told us to do it in college with career services. However, I really dont think thats going to be a deal breaker. Best of luck to you :)

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 16, 2010

I place my letters in a certain order as well:
    1. Which teacher/administrator did I work with most and would have the most/best input about me.
    2. Which letter is better written.

With mine, I ended up placing my grade team letter (someone I worked with a lot more and knew me the best) over my dept supervisor's letter. My team leader also had better writing skills than my supervisor.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 16, 2010

There's one person who's letter or name I always put first, no matter what. The reason for this is, because in the world according to him, the sun rises and sets with me and I also walk on water :D.

All kidding aside, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that this person gives me an amazing reference. Actually, in my current position, my supervisor told me (at a point after I was hired), that this person's reference was so glowing, both the letter and what he said on the phone, was so strong, that they didn't feel the need to talk to anybody else.

So, the current order of my references was:

This professor who wasn't in any way a direct supervisor, but who worked collaboratively with me and my department

My supervisor at the college

My most recent Principal

My most recent VP

Another professor I worked with under the same circumstances as the first.

9. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

The reference requirements where they request a letter/contact from principal/some other administrator seem somewhat of a conflict in many cases. The principal and/or administrator may be so selfish to want to keep you at the district and could say bad things about you it seems. They could see it as "why should we help so and so because they will be no use to us leaving us anyway."

I don't know how an interviewing district would be able to tell if an interviewee deserved more consideration, especially with so many interviewees to consider as opposed to anything bad an administrator would say.