Does Teaching Ever Make You Believe in Karma?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jan 31, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 31, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that when I was young I was pretty much a smart aleck (actually, that hasn't changed much over the years). My kids this year are full of comments. Today a child from another class was nice enough to stop by our class with apparently a found jacket and said "is this someone's jacket?". And one my little darlings said "well, it's someone's jacket." So I had to say "does this jacket belong to someone in our class". :rolleyes:

Every day there are these little jabbing comments like that. "Well, you said.....", "you knew what I meant, right?". My mother would say it was karma coming back to bite me! ;)

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 31, 2013

Haha I definitely can see it sometimes! I know how frustrated some of my teachers must have been since they knew I was smart but I just didn't want to put in the work. I was always super polite and respectful to them though. I was painfully shy in high school. It makes me wonder what they'd say if they could see me in my classroom today!

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 31, 2013

I was a horrible little monster when I was an 8th grader. I was a bully both to students and teachers. I stole, and I lied. Now look who I'm teaching. LITTLE CLONES OF ME WHEN I WAS IN THE 8TH GRADE!

This is my punishment. Or a chance to make these kids have a better 8th grade experience than me.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2013

I was actually really good in school, but it seems that life has a sarcastic sense of humor...my students are very different than me as a student!

6. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jan 31, 2013

I would have HATED me if I were my student. All I wanted to do as a kid was sit and get my work done as quickly and quietly as possible. Conversations? Group work? Interaction? Gross.

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Feb 1, 2013

I was like you when I was in school. I was most happy when I was working by myself. It gives me a real respect for those kids who are now like we were then, and I try hard to honor their feelings by not making them do anything they aren't comfortable with, such as group work, unless I absolutely have to.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 1, 2013

:yeahthat: preferably in an out-of-the-way place, too.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2013

Oh I was an awful student. My friends are all still surprised I went into teaching. They're like "YOU?!?!? TEACHER?!?!?!" :lol:

My current students are much more well behaved than I was as a kid!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 1, 2013

My students are better behaved than I was too.

11. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

Me too. My students love center and group work. As a student, I would have dreaded working in groups...still do.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 1, 2013

Not to brag, but I could only dream to have students who behaved the way I was when I was a student myself. I sat down, listened, did what I was told, was respectful, & that was it. I wasn't a big talker by any means, never sarcastic, etc.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 2, 2013

Oh, I wasn't like that in school at all-I would never talk to a teacher the way some of these kids talk to me. It was just at home when I'd drive my mom crazy.

14. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 2, 2013

Sometimes I think the class starts to resemble their teacher in ways. Kind of like when you see people that have pets and they look alike!
    For example, the teacher next to me is a disorganized slob. She seldom washes her hair and her clothes do not fit well because she is overweight and is wearing clothes two sizes too small. She is always dropping and losing things. Pig Pen comes to my mind when I think of her. I have watched her class turn into little versions of her. Very scary!!!
    I laugh when I hear some of my students acting like mini versions of me!