does substitute experience look good?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by ashbrown, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

i am settling for substituting because of lack of a true teaching position. i just graduated and have a bachelors in history and have no experience in education. i am hoping that a year or so of full time subbing will look good on my resume but i am not sure how much value this will hold considering its just subbing and i have no real control of the classroom. i just want to put myself in a better position to obtain a job next year and i am planning on getting a coaching certification to give me a leg up on the competition.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2008

Have you had any student teaching experience? I have a friend in FL that subbed last year and has gotten a lot of good reviews from the teachers she subbed for, but has not secured a job this year. Most principals she has talked to say that want student teaching. It is worth a shot as if you start getting your name out there, especially if you sub for one school alot, then principals will start to notice you and consider you for a teaching position. It's hit or miss I guess.

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

Coaching will be a great help, especially if you are going into teaching at the middle or high school level.
    And to answer your question, I'd say absolutely. Maybe people looking at your resume might prefer a year of you having your own classroom to a year of subbing, however it is still a year in the classroom either way. At least if you are subbing you won't have a gap in your resume from graduation to working in education.
    Even though as a sub, you won't be in charge of exactly what lessons are being taught, you still have to deal with how to teach the lessons left by the teacher, classroom management and all those other "little" things. Plus, you pick up a lot of good ideas subbing!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2008

There is absolutely no way I could have secured interviews, let alone a job, without my combination of student teaching and subbing experience. My cooperating teacher isn't talking to me anymore (I didn't invite her to my very small wedding, boohoo), so all my references are from my time as a guest teacher. I was also able to learn oodles about classroom discipline. It was worth the crazy schedule!

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

Yes you will be able to get job reforences. I just applied for a teachers aide job(s) in special ed. If it were not for subbing I would have no refferences since it has to be one a principal and one a teacher. Also, I hate when ppl say I settled for subbing. I love subbing the only reason I want the TA job is it is full time a for sure mon-fri 7-3:30. Plus i will work with special kids all day everyday. These kids are my heart! I am going to school to teach them plus this will give me more money for college.

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

When I interviewed for the middle school position (which I ended up getting), I really hadn't had any experience with middle schoolers...except subbing. I student taught first grade and worked at a before/after school program for elementary aged kids.

Anyway, I ended up getting the job and the principal told me the only reason they hired me to teach middle school is because I had so much subbing experience with that age group.

So to answer your question...YES!!! Subbing looks FANTASTIC on a resume!

8. MonsieurMetal

MonsieurMetal Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

smalltowngal:

You can sub before being a student teacher down there? Interesting.

Up here, subbing is a very good way of getting resume-worthy experience, but more importantly, it's a good way of hobnobbing: you make contacts, network, impress those whom you replace (and their principals). Most hiring is done from the sub pool, because subs are more experienced than fresh rookies AND generally known by the administration.

(Up here, your two student teaching reviews are MANDATORY for interviews if you have less than 3-5 years of teaching experience. Staying on good terms with your four cooperating teachers is essential, as they are REQUIRED references.)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 19, 2008

Sure, subbing experience is good to have & looks good in the employers' eyes to a certain degree. Many, people who sub are young & fresh out of college or they're older, retired teachers. If someone really wants to be a teacher, they usually sub for about a few yrs & usually end up getting hired.

But, I think if someone subs for too long, like 10+ yrs & they still want to be a teacher, employers probably start to wonder why that person's never been a teacher before. Then, they just might wonder what's wrong w/ this person that they've never been hired. They may even ask on the interview why the person's never taught all this time & that person better have a pretty good answer.

10. K-5Teacher

K-5Teacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Just to pose another angle - which is better for experience: Subbing or TA?

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2008

Good question. I'd actually say being a TA is a little better because it's a permanent position, so that person will be exposed to all procedures from the 1st day of school to the very end.

12. stepka

stepka Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

I've been wondering the same thing K-5, and I'm leaning toward thinking that subbing might be better because you're exposed to more people and teaching styles, and if someone takes extended leave, you could maybe segue yourself into a job. I'm subbing for a special school district now which takes me into several school districts and I have over 50 schools that I could potentially sub at. I started working the first day of school and haven't had a day off yet, and then I can sit in classes and watch the teachers teach while I work with the special kids. Ask me in another month how it's going though. Right now I'm kind of lonesome, but I love the kids and I get attached really quickly.

13. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

I just got a full time job. I have years of subbing. It really pays off. If you can sub, you can teach :p

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

I'm sure HOPING subbing will be good... because that's what I'm going to be doing this year. I keep getting told in interviews that they went with someone "with more experience," so I'm trying to get a range of stuff from subbing this year. Because, ya know, TEACHING MY OWN CLASS for the last 3 years apparently doesn't count as experience :rolleyes: My mom asked her principal whether i should TA or sub, and she suggested subbing because you get to be known in a variety of buildings and by a variety of principals.

So, I finish the apps up this week and hope to get started soon...

15. K-5Sub

K-5Sub Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

subbing

You know that if you can handle subbing having a classroom from the beginning of the school year is easy. I agree that subbing as much as possible in a certain school might help get reference letters from principles, which would always look nice. Look at subbing as continued learning, while working. I can even continue my bachelors in IT and the school district will assist me in obtaining a non-traditional teaching certificate, because of having a bachelors degree.