Does Subbing or Getting Teacher Aide positions help?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by raynor, May 26, 2009.

1. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 26, 2009

....much?

I read in a recent post about someone here who applied for 100 positions, received 17 interviews, but didn't get hired.

Even though he/she did sub with some of the schools.

I heard through my alternative teaching cert. program that the best way to "get noticed" is to sub or take a teacher's aide position so if a position becomes open, they'll consider you first.

Right?

Or, are you just considered an equivalent among all the other applicants in the application pool?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

If you become an aide, then you have a better shot than if you sub. Being an aide you are at the school all the time, and the admin can really see how you interact with the students.

4. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 26, 2009

Yeah, that does make sense...however, other teachers and people are recommending that I sub instead in lieu of the teachers aide...wonder why?

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 26, 2009

sometimes you get "stuck" in that position..for example, aide jobs have high turnover rates and they may not want to get rid of you as an aide especially if you are a good one. they would rather keep you in that job than move you. it all depends on those in charge though.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 26, 2009

I think you have to remember that the teaching field is already saturated so if there are tons of applicants with experience in teaching in their own classroom, they would more than likely be chosen over an applicant with experience in subbing and being an aide. Does that mean that experience subbing and being an aide isn't helpful? No. There's no way it could not be helpful. It's just that there are more applicants with different and "better" experience.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 26, 2009

Subbing gives you the ability to network with more principals and open yourself up for more options. Aide positions are many times stuck in one school; however, you work closer with staff and admin making connections so once a teaching position opens up that principal can recommend the aide for either a position in their own school or another school in their district.

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2009

It also may pay better to sub part time than be an aide full time. Personally I'd sub, network with lots of Ps and volunteer if time permitted in a few schools that look promising for openings.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 26, 2009

I subbed at one of the best schools in the area, knowing there was no way I'd be hired by them (they usually recruit experienced teachers from other districts). The high school principal was more than happy to be one of my references to teach full-time at other schools and turned out to be the one with the most influence. Suffice to say, you may not get a spot at the schools where you sub, but you'll hopefully earn a stellar reputation.

10. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 27, 2009

:dunno:Dumb question alert:dunno:
    What IS the best way to network with the P's?? Just go and introduce yourself?

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 27, 2009

That is an excellent start! Talk with them about your day, ask questions about the school, whatever feels natural. If you're good at your job they will naturally want to support your efforts.

The principal who is my reference always had lunch in the same area of the school I did, so perhaps that made it easier for us to talk.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 27, 2009

In my experience, they consider relatives and friends of the family or friends of existing teachers first.

If you sub, you may get offered a long term sub position. THat would give you a chance to really prove yourself. When I went to a job fair and was able to say that I LTS, they listened, even though I was alternatively certified (which really isn't favored in my district).

13. blondi

blondi New Member

May 27, 2009

Wow, I did not know that there is such a saturation of teachers already. I often hear that there is a need. Am I wrong or does it depend or where you live? Are is it the current economy?

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 27, 2009

Yes, there's a saturation of teachers, especially elementary teachers, everywhere! If there's a need, it's for math, science at the seconday level and special education, bilingual education at all levels. The economy is making it even harder in an already saturated field.

15. Windy City

Windy City Companion

May 27, 2009

In my district, subs almost never get hired for positions. It's just too hard to really stand out on a daily basis. We do hire a decent number of our teaching assistants. However, that is not a given. They have to work hard and prove themselves. There have been a number of assistants who have gone through the system openly saying that they are looking for a teaching position, and then slack off on their work. They are then shocked when they get passed over for classroom positions. You have to go above and beyond just helping out.

In my opinion, being an assistant is a better asset to have than a sub because you have one principal who knows you and your work. They can then network to the other principals at your request when jobs start to open up. That's how I got my teaching job! :)

16. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 28, 2009

Ah, Nepotism....that's goes on no matter what field (esp in smaller or medium towns)

So which is better foot in the door subbing or teachers asst/aide? :)

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 28, 2009

In my area certified aides have to be given an interview for any position they apply for. It's in their contract. Myself I am looking for an aide position if all else fails.

18. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 28, 2009

You're in FL too, right? :p

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 29, 2009

Raynor,

It probably depends on the district. The thing about the aide position that is good, is that you are there every day and can let people know you want a teaching job. The thing that may be bad though, is that you may fill a void in that aide position and they may want to keep you there.

Not sure how to answer your question. It also depends on your aide position. I could see a classroom teacher aide being more helpful to you than a special ed aide just for one student.

20. Groovy

Groovy Companion

May 29, 2009

Personally, I do not want to be an aide. I want to teach. I don't mind subbing for aides once in a while, because I get to see teachers in action and I learn from them. But I have no desire to spend a year or more of my life as an aide - it would frustrate me to watch someone else do "my" job all day.

Therefore, subbing is a better option for me, because the person they'll interview will be vibrant, happy, and alive, not frustrated & miserable.

jmho.

Best to you.

21. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 29, 2009

I am in Florida but it also depends on the district. There's no cut and dry answer to the question. I'm also looking for an aide position for the benefits and stability. I have subbed for three years. Taught one year and then got the budgetary axe. I'm tired of never knowing where I am going to go and if I'm even going to have work. I need some stability in my life.

22. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 29, 2009

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I found out aides actually get benefits! That's pretty nice.

A lot of people going around without ins.

Do subs get benefits?

23. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 29, 2009

In my area subs don't get any benefits. Subs do make a little bit more than aides assuming you get work every day of the year. So many people are subbing that they're not hiring subs right now. Kind of scary!

24. raynor

raynor Rookie

May 29, 2009

Heck, I've heard of aides being at schools for 20 years. ...