Does knowing someone help me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Xgomenara9, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Xgomenara9

Xgomenara9 Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Well, I know someone in the Harrisburg District who knows the Assistant Director of Community Relations. Do you think that a person in that position could help me out if she says something to the Asst. Supt?

Do you think knowing someone helps?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2007

I think it could help.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I'm in PA and many districts ~ it is all about who you know :) It may help you...best of luck!

5. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

It never hurts!

6. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

My thoughts exactly!

7. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Yes it does.
    Hello everyone. I have been reading your forum for awhile now and decided to go ahead and register. I wanted to reply to this post because it seems that knowing someone is almost a pre-requisite to getting hired. I am a new teacher. Coming in to the profession after years in other work. I did the traditional baccaluareate program, student teaching etc. I completed my program in May. I was placed at a school along with a classmate in the same subject area. Her aunt "happened" to be the assistant principal and coincidentally there was an opening for for our subject. My cooperating teacher and other teachers and staff I worked with wrote me unsolicited letters of recommendation and often praised my abilities to the principal. My class mate got the job, and I wasn't even interviewed. So, the moral of the story is this, if you know someone, use it to your advantage.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

WOW! Were her credentials as good as yours, or was this a blatant case of nepotism?

9. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

Well as for her credentials..we were both just student teachers. GPA's comparable. I am older (maybe a detriment?). But to me, it was a clear case of nepotism All year she was invited but the admin. to attend workshops and conferences unavailable to other student teachers. It was really quite amazing.

10. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

Don't let it get you down. You are better off not teaching under admin. like them. It's their loss! Very unprofessional that they didn't interview others for the position and doesn't speak well of them. I am learning that just because somebody as achieved the title of admin., it certainly doesn't mean they are always ethical! I am fortunate to work under admin. who are very fair. Good luck in your search.

11. Discouraged

Discouraged Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

All is fair in Love and Job Hunting!

At least, that is what I have learned as a new teacher. Although, knowing someone doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. My elementary school principal is now the director of elementary schools in our county. He had offered his assistance to me (Luckily I won the spelling bee, so that has to be why he remembered me...) and contacted the schools I told him I had applied to. I never heard from any of those schools.

My former boss' wife works at another school I applied to. He ad his wife are also personal friends of the principal. I was not hesitant in informing him (principal) of my connection. The principal called my former boss and I got an interview! I find out tomorrow if I have the position. I have another former boss who is the PTO President at another school in my district, that just posted a second grade position. You better believe I was on the phone right away, asking for her help. (I am not a job hopper, just worked in a real estate company and was promoted along the way. Both boss' work for that same company.)

Bottom line is, weather it is "Cheating" or not, numerous other people are name dropping. If you have a connection, use it to your advantage! If nothing else, at least that is getting your name mentioned and putting you on someone's mind! Always remember....Watch out for #1, so you don't step in #2! You are the only one who has your best interest at heart. If you've got a connection, use it! What have you got to lose?:up:

12. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I have used connections and they have not worked. But, just in knowing (casually) a couple of people have gotten me jobs, too. So I guess it depends on the circumstances. Oddly, my stronger connections (cooperating teacher, personal friend with local super, school secretaries as neighbors, HR wife of husband's work buddy, etc.) don't seem to work (at least not in this town) but casual relationship with long-lost principal friend and one-time-meeting with principal from first year district worked out in other districts. Go figure. Boo on the nepotism cr*p. That is so wrong.

13. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 27, 2007

here in the great state of ohio :), it seems as though knowing people is sometimes your only way in! i would try and use this to get your foot in the door (i.e. an interview), but let it slide afterwards. you want them to hire you b/c they liked you and thought you were capable of performing the job functions...not just b/c you knew sally who knew dave who knew...well, you get my point.

so work those connections and get yourself through the door! good luck to you!!! -meri

14. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

So what do you do if you don't know anyone? I have no relatives or friends that are teachers or administrators. I know some of my co-operating teachers and my university teachers a bit, but no more than any other student.

I have seen the nepotism in action as well, along with schools that will only hire people that are alumni of U of I.

15. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jul 28, 2007

I think knowing someone helps. I knew a teacher at the school I got hired at and she said a lot of good things about me, and the principal told me that she spoke very highly of me. It could never hurt!

16. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jul 28, 2007

Alphabet & Carebear05:
    Some, if not ALL:blush: of my interviews that I have had were due to the fact that I either knew some teachers that I took recertification classes with, Subbed next to and then talked to them extensively, former professors, and once or twice the parent of a student who's class I subbed in.:whistle:
    I say, if you have ANY kind of connection, use it!! BUT, make sure you get approval from that person FIRST.
    Teaching is a very political based world in most areas. (just my opinion)
    But you also have to have the knowledge to back it up!!