Does it make you sad?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tchr4evr, Nov 21, 2011.

1. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Nov 21, 2011

I just had to post out in the world. My theatre students and I just finished a fantastic production of Hamlet on Saturday night. Everything went really well, despite the many issues that happened all the weeks leading up to the performance. Our theatre is very large, it seat 750 people. After weeks of publicity, newspaper ads, announcements in local papers and on local tv shows, over 4 nights, we only had about 200 people. And not a single administrator (even with personal invites and free tickets). And, half the kids parents didn't show up. It breaks my heart to see kids who have worked for 6 weeks on a production to come out and the end of a show and have no one there to congratulate them, besides me. It also breaks my heart that no one really knows how great my students actually are. I receive compliments all the time about the quality of my productions, (and not from parents or people who know me), but from other theatre professionals who are in the area who do try to attend local shows.

It saddens me that so many parents cannot be bothered to come support their kids, and that administrators cannot come out to support their students, and that the community can not see what is so great about teh school, not what is bad.

I spent some time talking to a few of my techies on Saturday night, and it just reminded me of the fact that when high school is over, no one remembers the tests, or their classes. They remember the late night rehearsals for the play, or the last minute win at the football game, or the crazy kid in the lunch room. But it seems that those in power forget all about that. In the end, the tests really don't matter.

3. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 21, 2011

YOU are making a difference.

And your post just inspired me, as a first year teacher.

Don't forget this.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 21, 2011

Yes, it saddens me. It also angers me when I see every administrator at every basketball game, but never at a fine arts activity.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2011

I was a drama geek in high school and cannot imagine my parents missing a show. On the other hand, the theater program itself was so vital to my life that I probably would have willingly performed for my dog and the stage crew as long as I had the shared experience with the other students in the cast. It's painful when the audience is small, but keep reminding the students (and yourself) that it isn't a reflection of their hard work.

As for those administrators, that's horrid. I'll bet they didn't miss Homecoming...

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 21, 2011

I'm very lucky that our administrators do attend events, but many students and parents do not. Our problems come with them booking the auditorium for a community event for the night before our performances and things like that. They just don't understand.

7. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 21, 2011

As the parent of two "theater geeks" I must say that when my kids were in high school if they were in the play I attended at least one night. If my kids were working backstage or in some technical position I left it up to them whether I should attend. My oldest had a part in a college production last year and it was really hard not to be there to see them perform. But the kids both attend college out of state and I could not afford to go.

As a teacher I love to attend the school plays. I have attended every performance at my school until this year when teachers will not be given free tickets. With salary cuts and losing stipends I cannot afford to attend the events. :(

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 21, 2011

That is sad. I have not experienced that at my school. It is pretty much expected that teachers attend the fine arts activities- I mean you don't technically "have to" go, but it's heavily encouraged and it's an unwritten rule that you better have a good excuse if you're not there. I suppose because they are only once every couple months, whereas there is a basketball game every week. Our school play was last week and I believe every teacher was there. The admins would never think of missing it- in fact they get up and do a little speech before it starts. On the other hand, most teachers will attend one sporting event per season, if that. Honestly, I don't have any students that play (we're a k-8 and the sports teams are only for the upper school) and don't care for sports myself, so I don't go to the sporting events. Now if it were my students, I'd suck it up and go to a game to show support for them. I really enjoy the plays and concerts though. We've never had a problem with parents attending these events either, even though most of our families are really low SES and work all kinds of hours. What kind of upsets me is that I think the events are expensive, and given the poverty levels of our families I don't think it's fair at all. The play last week was 5 dollars a ticket per person, up to 20 dollars for a family. For our families, 20 dollars is a lot of money and I think that's a lot to ask them to see their own child perform. They also charge for the christmas concert which the kids technically have to go to (it's not a voluntary afterschool club like the play, it's what they work on in music class at school), and I thought that was very tacky.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 21, 2011

Wow, we charge $5 for student tickets and $8 for adult tickets for our plays, and that's cheap compared to other high schools in the area. We also have some free performances, and some where we just take up donations. We have to charge that much for our big shows because the rights to perform the material are so much. Faculty +1 always get in free at our school.

10. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Nov 21, 2011

I am sorry to hear that. It is disappointing when support is not given. It does not diminish the hard work and excellence of the performance in any way. Sports dominate the upper grades at our school, but the arts do get a good amount of sports. It's important to not resent athletics even if they get more attention, I fell victim to this whe I was in high school. It wasn't good and there was no reason for it other than jealousy.

11. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Nov 21, 2011

I still remember the one play I had a small part in for fourth grade. What I remember most is that I had no costume, just my older sisters dress and high heals that didn't fit right! I was one of the fairy Godmothers and my parents didn't come through with a costume that fit the part! I could tell the other parents thought I was not dressed appropriately for the role (probably inappropriate in high heals). My sister was in high school To top it all off, what I remember even more than that was waiting to see my parents in the audience. They never showed. It was a huge attack on my self-esteem. Even 30 years later I remember the feeling of being let-down.

Now that I have kids, one parent is at all their functions. My daughter worked on props last year for a play for eighth grade. And yes, we even went to just see the props she had made.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011

Our school finished a 4-performance run of a play this past weekend, and when I went on Saturday night there were three other teachers there, but I didn't see any admins. They had an excellent crowd in our little theater, which seats under 500.

Many of our clubs do bake sales, and I always stop and spend a dollar, but our P will walk past saying, "I never eat that stuff."

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 21, 2011

I can't afford to do every fundraiser that comes around or attend every game/performance there is. For the most part games are free, so I attend those once in a while.

I have my own children's activities to support so that puts a kink in the schedule too. But I do like to see my students whenever I can.

I will say that the principals off dds' schools do show up for events. I've never been to one where there wasn't an admin there.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011

That is sad. Every time I've gone to the school play, I see at least 15 coworkers, two admin, and a bunch of kids. And that's only one show out of five in the run.

You're making a difference for the kids. That's all that matters.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2011

I'm almost 40 and usually make my husband and in-laws come to see my performances (my parents flew in for a show last year and my brother this year). Rockhubby helps me memorize my lines and even pitches in to build sets. Cannot imagine the experience without their support. To deprive a child of that kind of affirmation is, to me, unthinkable.