Does it look bad...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Mar 23, 2009.

?

B in Student Teaching OK?

1. It's fine, really

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. It doesn't look great, but whatever...

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. It looks yucky, change it if you can

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

If I'm a straight-A college student but got a B in student teaching? I really think I deserved an A- (or even a B+, if you're stingy) but the prof doesn't like me. Seriously. I asked her to explain how the grade was determined and she hasn't answered. According to her own syllabus I earned a borderline A-/B+.

I'm usually not so uptight but I feel like this is a bad thing because it's student teaching, the only time the college ever sees you actually show your stuff!

If it doesn't look bad at all I will just ignore the whole incident because I want to graduate already so I can qualify for professional-level jobs. As it is, those of you who have read my previous rants know that it took 3 very long months to get the grade in the first place. But if this reflects really poorly on me as a teaching candidate, then I will continue to try and investigate the situation.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2009

I wouldn't even stress about it.

4. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2009

I'm really only stressed because I KNOW I did better than that and I KNOW the teacher hates me and she's been making my life miserable for over a year now :p

But the more of you people who tell me B is fine, the less stressed I'll feel about letting it go ;)

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

No district I interviewed for asked for my specific ST grade...they just asked for my overall college GPA. You're fine! :)

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2009

A lot of people I know only have a pass/fail grade for student teaching. I don't see anything wrong with a B anyway. My uncle ended up getting a C or D in student teaching because (from what I could tell from my family) his cooperating teacher seemed to like him and he didn't reciprocate. He's an amazing teacher and has never had a problem getting jobs.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2009

To be honest, I'm not sure that anyone ever asks what you got in any particular course, including student teaching.

As long as you have the degree and the certification, I would say not to worry about it.

8. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

As mentioned, I wouldn't worry too much about it either. Like you said you have a strong transcript which is what most prospective schools look at anyways. I think lots of schools that hire realize that there are lots of personality conflicts as well as teaching style conflicts when people ST.

Plus, when I interviewed they really weighted my references before any grades. So prep yourself with some really positive ones.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Superintendents could care less what you made, they just want to know you're certified.

Put the professor behind you, look forward to your future and don't turn back.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2009

I don't think that it's that big of a deal; most districts don't even want your transcripts until you've already been hired just to see where you should be placed on the salary scale.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 24, 2009

Don't stress, it's not worth it in the long run.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2009

Consider yourself lucky, we got either a pass or fail. I do know a couple of student teachers who were told to quit student teaching and try again the next semester by their advisor b/c they were going to fail.

13. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Mar 24, 2009

LOL..trust me you will have so many more things to worry about than this

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 24, 2009

I don't think it is that big of a deal. However, I would collect as many letters of recommendation from people who have seen you teach as you can. Many principals around here are looking for a good recommendation from your CT and supervisor.

15. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 24, 2009

Put it behind you and move forward. From what I know they only care about certification and GPA! Good luck!

16. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2009

Thanks for the affirmation, everyone! Time to dance along to my future... :D

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 24, 2009

I student taught twice.

Once 20-some years ago - for K-12 music, band, and chorus. Back then we had grades given... and mine were A's.

Last spring I student taught for elementary ed, and we had a pass-fail. (Considering how hard you work...I prefered the graded!)

I'm an A student myself.. that is except for one B...in an obvious place on my transcript.

Understanding that student teaching was pass/fail...I didn't worry about the final grade. i KNEW I would PASS. But i didn't understand that this college gave a second- VERY small grade. Worth 1 hour credit. basically it depended on -did you write your supervisor. I wrote her often enough- and saw her the weeks I didn't. When I saw her I gave her a total run-down of the week, and showed her my lesson plans. We talked about successes and challenges, and she was always supportive. Never mentioned a thing. Then comes my grades: And the abbreviations are odd (you would have to know their catalog to know the meanings). but the first says B (for sending the supervisor letters-or journal entries), the second P (for the full 16 weeks of HARD work!)

I am upset with it. To me it looks like a B in student teaching,and a P in-whatever. I'm glad to read that others don't think it matters. it DOES weigh heavily on my mind though.

18. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 25, 2009

Getting the job is mostly about the interview. Sure, credentials are the prerequisites that get you in to the interview but it's how you sell yourself that counts most. If you have the confidence in your ability that you seem to have then it doesn't matter what grade you were marked in a single instance. Well, I guess it would matter if it were a failing grade but otherwise, don't worry about it.

19. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

When I student taught, I had a supervisor who was not really helpful . . . she was a new prof and she had never taught young children herself and anyway . . . I worked very hard on my lessons, portfolio, and documentation of teaching. I was supposed to turn everything in to my supervisor on a Friday in April at her office an hour away from where I lived. Thursday night, we had a freak snowstorm and my student teaching site had a snow day on Friday. I called my supervisor's office several times on Friday to tell her I didn't think my little car (no kind of all-wheel drive or anything) could make it to her office. I left messages. I called her house # (she had given it out) all weekend to see if she wanted me to run it by her house (she lived 10 min. away). She never answered.

When I got the stuff to her on Monday, she wasn't there, so I left it in the education office. I called to make sure she got it, and she did pick it up later that week. I was more than miffed when I checked my grade and it was a B. I called and talked to her to ask her about it, and it was "because you turned your stuff in late".

Uh-huh. I appealed the grade and got my A. But no interviewer has ever asked for my grade. So I guess I would say if it bothers you and you think you can successfully appeal, do it. But don't do it just because you think it might look bad.

20. forkids

forkids Cohort

Mar 26, 2009

Don't worry about it. I worked my tail off in college, made straight A's in everything, and I don't think anyone even looked at it when I was applying for a job. My classmates whose grades were not nearly as good got jobs just like I did.

21. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 26, 2009

Schools wont look at the grade for the most part, no worries...and a B is still good grade...relax!

22. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I voted "It's fine really" because no one ever really reads your whole transcript.

BUT on a personal level. I would be all over that teacher too. Especially if the final grade doesn't match the rubric or whatever grading scale s/he provided.

I hope that this teacher answers you and explains exactly how you got your grade. If she doesn't, she should consider what kind of example she is setting for first-year teachers. Would she recommend that you ignore a student's request for an explanation about a grade? Would she recommend that you take away points from a student because of a personality conflict?

23. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 28, 2009

same here.