Does it get better?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MuggleBug, Sep 2, 2008.

1. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 2, 2008

I had a really awful first day. :( The school I'm at is so different than what I'm used to. I know it's going to be a challenge to relate to my students. I've just been crying all evening and wishing I hadn't moved away from home. :(

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Sep 2, 2008

I'm sorry that you had a bad first day. You have to keep positive and think that tomorrow will be better. First days can always be a little hairy. I'm sending you positive thoughts. Hope tomorrow is wonderful for you!

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

I'm sorry you had a rough first day. It will very likely get better. I don't know just what made the day so hard for you, but unless you are having serious problems with you coworkers or the parents, things should improve. My first year as a teacher was spent 7 hours (and a completely different culture) from home. I was desperately homesick too. Hang in there. Hugs to you.

5. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Sep 2, 2008

what area of va are you in?
    It'll get better I promise!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

Hang in there Muggle! Working in an urban school takes some adjustment -- especially in a testing grade. Everything lives and dies by those tests here, and unfortunately, the "fun stuff" is squeezed out of the picture. It can be hard to get used to a regimented schedule, which is what we have in testing grades in this area. (It isn't just our city, it is like this in most all of the local areas here.) I know when I taught 3rd grade, except for the required 20 minutes of Shared Reading each day, read alouds just weren't allowed. Everything is test, test test oriented.

Once you get used to the routine, you'll find ways to "squeeze" some fun back in.

Hang in there! You're in my thoughts.

-Rain

7. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Trust me, it will get better. Heck, I felt like crying the first week of school, and I've been there three years- but it was because it is very stressful that first week or two, especially not having family or people you really know around to mellow with and vent to.

Hang in there!

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2008

:hugs:

It will get better. It is overwhelming to have moved and be a new teacher (I am assuming you are new since you moved away from home).
    I was there last year. I was talking to my P and mentor before the year started and told them to be patient because I don't remember anything from the 1st MP last year. They were stunned. I was having such a rough time, I was like a walking zombie. I went to college while living at home, so this was really the first time I had been away- and I did it alone. But, things got better. At school and personally- I LOVE where I live.
    Just hang in there!