Does GPA matter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FutureTeacher_1, May 1, 2011.

1. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

May 1, 2011

Hi everyone! :)

I graduate in December and have a 3.74 but I was wondering does teacher GPA really matter? Have you ever been asked for it in an interview?

Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

I've never been asked for my GPA in an interview. The principal does have a copy of your transcripts, so he/she could look if interested.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

May 1, 2011

Not in an interview since it's always been asked on applications.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

It's never been brought up. Same with my grades in college classes. They just use your transcript to see where to place you on the pay scale (at least in the districts I worked at).
    I did put that I graduated cum laude on my resume.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 1, 2011

I have not been asked it in an interview. However, I do feel it has some importance. I think it shows how serious someone took their classes. If I was hiring someone and had similar applicants with a 3.0 and a 4.0; I would go for the 4.0 applicant. :2cents:

7. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

May 1, 2011

I graduated with a 2.75 and have never mentioned it once.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 1, 2011

Every interview I have been on they have mentioned how they are impressed by the university I attend, my GPA, and the fact that I will graduate cum laude.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

My college program told us to put our GPA on our resumes if it was at least a 3.5. If not, they said not to mention it unless asked. The school will have your transcripts, so they'll find out eventually if they care. I think a nice GPA is just one more thing that can make you look like a more attractive candidate, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter much. I had a 3.9. People mentioned it in interviews when they talked about my resume, but I certainly don't think that fact alone had any weight for rather they chose me or not. They're looking for someone who has strong teaching skills, not someone who is just really smart. If someone had a very low GPA, I could see it being a problem as that person may be seen as irresponsible or what not. However, I think most college programs have a cut off GPA that you have to maintain to stay in the program anyway, so you wouldn't see that too often.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 1, 2011

I've seen this on resumes before, and wondered if I should do that. I also will have a GPA for my Master's (but not for my credential - those classes are pass (with a B or better)/ fail) - I'm wondering if I should include my undergraduate and graduate GPAs on my resume...maybe someone can shed some light on that. :)

Also, if you graduate cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude, should you put that on your resume as well?

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 1, 2011

I too was told to put GPAs of 3.5 or higher on a resume, and yes if you graduated cum laude I'd put that on there as well. As already stated it probably won't be something that gets you hired, but it's an accomplishment and your resume is a place to list your accomplishments.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

You could easily add your GPA after the school you sent, but either add it for all or none. Don't put your undergrad and not your grad, etc.

I would definitely list if you graduated cum laude.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Or with honors or any other distinction should be listed as well.

14. springmac

springmac Companion

May 1, 2011

It probably depends on where we you...

It's very competetive where I live. The way school districts weed out applicants is by looking at GPA. My school district will not interview anyone with a GPA below 3.75. A neighboring school district will not interview anyone with a GPA below 3.9. Sadly, a lot of great teachers are overlooked because of this.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

My superintendent wants to know GPAs. Don't put it on your resume though if it's not good.

16. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 1, 2011

If it's over 3.5, as others have said, then you may as well include it. If not, no worries. I don't think it plays a big factor in the decision making process for most schools. It really doesn't mean a whole lot, especially if your degree is in education.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Dave, sure there are brilliant 4.0 candidates who aren't necessarily good teachers, but don't you agree that teachers should be intelligent?

18. m1trLG2

m1trLG2 Companion

May 1, 2011

Here is a question. First of all, this will be my biggest obstacle as a teacher but I hate the sentiment expressed here. Grades and what is learned/gained from a situation are two separate things. I worked my butt off my whole life studying hours longer than my peers just to get C's. I knew the information but multiple choice tests and me don't mix. I would tutor kids in subjects because I understood the material but couldn't test on it for some reason. Finally, after my Sophmore year of college I almost failed out because of grades. I went to find out what was wrong and found out that my whole life I've had a learning disability ... once treated I got straight A's every semester.

My GPA tells you NOTHING about how seriously I took my classes... but how do I get that across on an application without revealing a possibly more detrimental truth about myself?

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2011

Have your cover and resume proofread, checked and double-checked. Same with any written answers on applications. After that, it's up to you to show your intelligence and passion on the interviews.

20. DaveG

DaveG Companion

May 1, 2011

I do agree that we need intelligent teachers, yes. However, I don't think that GPA necessarily reflects intelligence, and especially so if your degree is solely in education. Generally speaking, education classes are extremely easy compared to other disciplines and a cumulative 4.0 in education is far easier to obtain than a cumulative 4.0 in say Mathematics.

To me, determining a candidate's ability on GPA is no different than determining a child's ability on standardized test scores.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

I wasn't asked about my grades during my interview, but since I graduated magna cum laude I placed that on my resume. I've since updated my resume to show my 4.0 for my master's and rank I program—I like to think it's a nice little addition, but I know it's just one piece of information. I also included my Praxis scores on my resume since those were high and recognized (I think it was called "Recognition of Excellence?").

So, if you are proud and feel others would find your numbers to be pleasing, I'd include them.

When I've gone through application documents in the past I always look through the transcripts and pay special attention to grades earned in classes the candidate intends to teach. If you want to teach history but was a solid C student in such courses, that was a strike against you.

22. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

May 1, 2011

I agree with JustMe. I once sat on a hiring committee for a search in ancient history. One applicant had consistent C's in all the ancient languages. That was a concern and in a very, very tight field it ended up affecting the application.

But *overall* GPA can be misleading. We saw people, for instance, who had a record like m1trlg2 - low grades early on but stellar grades later. I assumed that meant something changed and worked off of the later grades as an indicator. In fact, I found those packets interesting because they showed serious change over time.

Also, GPAs for graduate programs are especially hard to parse. In history PhD programs, anything below an A- is a signal that you should reconsider your field. I once heard a professor talk about giving a B+ "to send a message" and when someone I knew got a B- as a final grade there were gasps in the halls. So a 4.0 is great, but not the same thing as it would be in an undergraduate program. In other words: grading is complicated and I understand why some hiring committees prefer to just glance at it or ignore it completely.

23. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 1, 2011

I am not sure if it matters, but I think just checking GPA does not tell the whole story. In my ACP program I think I only scored lower than a 100 on two assignments. However, that is not my GPA. My GPA is for two majors and a minor that have nothing to do with education. The classes for my minor blew my GPA, but I loved the topic and kept taking the classes. Why, because I wanted to learn the information. (Did not test well in Organic Physiology II but I loved the experiments) I have no problem explaining this on an interview, but I do have an issue with them looking at the overall GPA that does not tell the story why....
    Ok - Off my soap box now :)

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 1, 2011

Teach, I very much understand that. I took a couple of elective classes that I knew would be difficult, but I wanted to learn about the topic. I got a B in one of those courses, and while I was certainly bummed, I learned a lot.

25. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

May 2, 2011

I include my GPA on my resume as well as the fact that I graduated summa cum laude. I've never heard anyone mention this at any of my interviews but I certainly don't think it hurts matters any.

Most applications I've seen ask for both your major GPA as well as your cummulative. This is a way to pinpoint how you performed in education courses. Other applications I've seen have asked for your GPA for any of the areas you intend to teach (Political science, foreign language, etc.).

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 2, 2011

I think it may be a regional thing, also....I've never seen a district ask for GPA as part of the application process. I assume they just find out the GPA from your college transcripts, if they really want to know.

27. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 2, 2011

I've been asked for my GPA several times. I have also been asked what grade I received in my student teaching.