Does getting a secondary credential in a subject help? I give up!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher2binbh, Jul 13, 2012.

1. teacher2binbh

teacher2binbh Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Hello,

I have been looking for a job for 3 years now and I am getting nothing. I have a Mult Subt Teaching Credential and wondering if getting a secondary credential in English will make things easier? What am I doing wrong? I feel the smug condenscending attitude toward me whenever I do a rare interview and wonder if it is something about me???:help:

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Getting extra credentials will certainly improve your chances and your marketability to schools. The more you can bring to the table, the better.

Since you're credentialed(?) in multiple subjects, I assume you would be teaching elementary grades?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2012

California's a difficult market in which to get hired, it's true. You have my sympathy there. Whether adding the credential in English will help is hard to say.

As to the "smug condescending attitude" toward you that you say you're noticing, stop looking for evidence of it.

5. Galois

Galois Companion

Jul 13, 2012

Hi, and welcome to this forum.

TeacherGroupie is right. I would say that attitude is everything in the interview process. Ones personality will always show and shine. Sometimes even with a lesser credential, a panel may choose a candidate just because of the "intangible/s" that she or he possess - the genuine positive attitude that a teacher should always have. Of course, all things being equal the more credential the better, but again it is no guarantee in getting hired in the job market we are in.

Some people would enroll in a Dale Carnegie course to improve their personality. I have not gone to one, so I'm not recommending it. But, I hope you are following the gist of what I'm driving at.

6. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

My Story: Look for 6 months with social studies.

In a three month period test and pass:
    MS Science
    MS Math
    Language Arts 5-12
    Physical Science
    (In my state I also get title I and a few other fun things with the above)

Hired within one month. One interview one job.

As soon as we had come to a handshake hiring. I had four more interviews. I went on all of them. Not hired. Have to sign contract next week.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

With all the applicants they get in English, there would be no need to call in anyone they weren't actively considering for the job.

That "smug condescending attitude" may be in your mind. If they didn't think you were qualified, they wouldn't have called you in.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 14, 2012

I don't think it would hurt, but English jobs in CA aren't incredibly easy to snag, either. Probably a bit easier than elementary, but still...

Are you applying to charters as well? Three of us from my credential program cohort have gotten jobs at charters. I've already started working at mine (year round) and I love it.

Can you move? Or survive for awhile on an hour-ish commute? If you're in an extremely over saturated area like so cal, that could help.

Good luck to you! It IS possible to get a job in CA, it's just VERY difficult!

9. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Let me give a few suggestions and thoughts.

CA - as I can tell through news is going to be a bear of time getting a job in ANYTHING.

Have you thought of moving out of the state? I left over 15 years ago, and perhaps one of the better choices I have made. I do miss the ocean. I laugh at people when they talk about bad traffic.

Real problems of leaving: testing, cost of living (I miss eating out all the time), actually getting a job out of the area (get a google voice number in the area you want to go) and family.

of LA. Language Arts seems IMHO one of the things that is very often looked for . . . I mean a lot at least locally. I think we had more LA positions in South Dakota open than science, math, and maybe sped.

of Testing: You will find that testing is 'easier' in other parts of the country. The biggie is fewer tests.

10. tinat70

tinat70 Rookie

Jun 3, 2014

don't feel discouraged no matter what. I totally understand your situation and I am getting my secondary (just passed the English cset) and applying soon....
    I also have MA in Cross-Cultural teaching and...plus sup.. in Music. I feel like a Black sheep...:

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 5, 2014

Science, math, and special ed. are your best bets for adding credentials. You could go into severe sped.

12. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

None of those are really "high needs" areas anymore. I doubt California is much different that Oregon in that regard. Here a "high needs" special education job can garner upward of fifty applicants. THAT is NOT "high needs."

In other words, any job that has more applicants than there are openings isn't a "high needs" area.

The question that should be asked is why anybody wants to spend or go into further debt for several more thousands of dollars to add a credential in the off-chance there might be a job at the end of it. In Oregon, it costs between 8-10 THOUSAND dollars to add an endorsement, and that's through public colleges. Of course, you have to have graduate-level courses, which in Oregon are over 1k a course.

Really ask yourself if it is worth it if you don't have a teaching job now. Adding credentials makes sense if you are already employed as a teacher.