Does everyone do a theme?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mom&teacher, Aug 10, 2007.

1. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and I don't do a theme! I'm feeling kind of bad now that I'm reading everyone's posts. :( There are 6 of us 2nd grade teachers in our building and none of us do themes. Come to think of it, only 1 or 2 teachers in my building do themes! Am I the only one on here???

3. LisaCUP2001

LisaCUP2001 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

nope...some schools actually require you to pick a theme for your classroom. if you want to pick a theme pick the decoration you have the most of...like what are the animals you have on most of your bulletin boards? that would be your theme if you want to take the easy way out and not spend more money!! :)

4. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

This is my first year teaching 1st (coming from sped) and I'm not doing a theme this year because I know I'll have so much stuff that's different this year to worry about it. Maybe next year when I kind of know what I'm doing and know what to expect. There's other teachers at my school who do themes though.

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

We have a school wide theme: Aloha: hello and goodbye
    Everyone is decorating tropical (palm trees, flowers, surfing, tiki, etc. ) It's very colorful!!!

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 10, 2007

I don't do one!
    I can't narrow it down:)

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2007

I have never done a theme... this year will be the most "thematic" in my decor, as I just chose two colors to go with.

There are some schools in my area that don't allow themes. No one in my school does them, but they would be allowed if you someone wanted to... I think it would be limiting for me. I like the kids to help create the room with me.

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

No-I get bored too easily. I put up material for my bb backgrounds and am already thinking how I will switch it out later!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

I've never done a theme--not very common here I don't think.

This coming school year, however, we will have a school-wide theme--"Dreams"--more a content focus than decorating, though.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

Each grade level team does a theme at the beginning of the year. It makes it fun to come back to school and see each teacher's interpretation of it.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 10, 2007

I don't do a theme. Sometimes I try to make sure my bulletin board colors sort of coordinate around the room, but that's about it.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

I do a back to school bulletin board with a theme- this year is a 2nd grade rocks theme (kind of my mantra anyway) but most of the time my 'theme' is only for that beginning of the year getting to know you time, not a year long theme...

13. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I don't think it really matters... theme or not. I really think it is just a personal preference.

14. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I think I'm going to use your 2nd grade rocks title for my welcome thing in the hallway because our first science kit is Pebbles, Sand, and Silt! Thanks, I hope you don't mind!

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2007

I don't think anyone in my building does a theme, and I know a few would stage a revolt if the principal said we had to do one.

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

I try to... but this year I've got monkeys, puzzle pieces, and your basic school house stuff decorating. I do better with themes when it's a holiday! LOL

17. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Nope...no theme here!!! I just use a lot of bright colors. I want it to be inviting. I think you have to like what you do...if the teacher ain't happy...ain't nobody happy! :lol:

18. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

LOL, my first year or two I did that, but now I try to pick a background that will look good ALL year. lol

19. jl2teach

jl2teach Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I used to only decorate with red, yellow, blue and green. It kept my room looking more organized. I tried to avoid baskets or bulletin board paper in pink, orange, etc. That has worked for years. Somehow, I started a frog them slowly 2 years ago. We study reptiles and amphibians, so I just had some pictures and it started from there. Last year my kids really got into the theme - so this year I am carrying it even further. Outside my room will be Leap into Learning and I have a Hoppy Birthday poster and the Hoppy Helpers job chart. My discipline plan has been changed and they are now going to work for "Ribbit Rewards". It's kind of fun now, but I wouldn't do it if it caused any pressure on you - Classrooms are usually bright, cheery and colorful and a good place for kids to spend the day. That's all you need.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

There is a school wide AR theme at my school. It is the circus. So, I have to make a circus bulletin board. Icky, IMO.

21. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Nope, no theme. Well unless you count that the fabric on my bulletin boards is the same pattern, only in different colors.

One of the four 5th grade teachers does a theme and I think she is the only one in the entire school.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

No theme for me....too much work!

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

It's okay!! Only a few teachers in my building do themes, too- I believe in our 4th-5th grade/Science Lab/Guidance hallway, it is the rainforest, space, and the city theme I incorporate (Jasztalville). Yet there are 12 teachers in the hallway, and nobody else from fourth grade has one, I believe. I didn't have one for my first two years of teaching, just last year and this coming year.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2007

That's how I am. I stuck up fabrics that will be on the board all year long, and the content on them will just change.

25. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 12, 2007

I have a theme. I really don't know how it started. I had a friend who was obsessed with decorating her classroom and I think it spread on to me. I do a bee/bug/garden theme. In second grade we did a lot with plants and insects, so it really worked. Now I'm in first grade, and we don't do plants or insects!! But it's just something fun and gives my room some character. But I don't think everyone needs a theme. Just somehow this happened!!!! haha.

26. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Well, since I finally get to work with little ones after years of HS and middle school students, I'm doing a theme for my "hallway classroom", lol! Mine kind of came accidentally, though. I have always loved the big Chicka Chicka trees that people make, so I'm hoping I can fit one into the hallway without it taking up too much room. My DD is getting her room re-done. She was crazy over monkeys a few years ago, and had a ton that she no longer wants, so she told me I could have them. Well, they're cute, so Voila! My theme. I went to our parent-teacher supply store and found some cute monkey decorations. I'm going to "steal" a reading area idea from one of the other teachers on here (she had bumble bees stamped on pillows) and stamp some monkeys on some throw pillow. I'm hoping to find some bananas that I can buy or a foam stamp to make my word wall. I don't know if I would have done a theme if I had started in the lower grades, but I'm too excited not to do it this year!

27. Ms. Ladybug

Ms. Ladybug Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I agree-I have a ladybug theme in my room along with red gingham. There are other teachers at my school who have themed rooms. When I decided to do ladybugs when I started (2 years ago), I went ladybug crazy, so I will be using this theme for a few years, but that's okay because I love my room and so do my kids!

A friend who teaches at another school uses a beach/ocean theme, and it is really cute! She inspired me to do a themed room in the beginning. The kids at my school now call me the "Ladybug Lady!"

Of course, it is personal preference to have a themed room (unless required).

28. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I only have a theme for welcoming the students back. What I do make sure to do is to change out my hallway bulletin boards so the kids know I care about sharing their work.

29. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

No theme here. No one one in our building does a theme. I hang seasonal flags on my door. I guess I have a flag theme and didn't know it. Ha Ha.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2007

The FOSS kit, right? We use that kit as well but I don't get to until the spring... I'm thinking of tie dying shirts with my kids for 2nd grade Rocks....

31. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

I saw that you were looking for a word wall with monkeys and bananas ... here is my example! Thought you would like to see this :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]