Does Earth Science CSET count towards life science or physical science?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Rodge88, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

Feb 25, 2017

At our school students need some physical and some life science courses to graduate.
    I primarily want to teach physics, which i believe is physical science. i would also like to teach something that covers life science, but I am not a fan of bio.

The only other tests available are earth/planet and chemistry. I believe Chemistry is physical science, but what is earth/planet? I am hoping it is life science. Please correct me on the others I am incorrect. Thank you.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Feb 25, 2017

According to California Dept. of Ed., Earth Science is a physical science:

California Education Code Section 51225.3 (a)(1)(C) specifies, in order to receive a high school diploma, a student must successfully complete at least two courses in science, including biological and physical sciences.

A course is one year long or two semesters. While the law is not explicit, one course generally focuses on the biological sciences and the other course focuses on physical sciences. Physical sciences may include physics, chemistry, or earth science. Two years of integrated science would also fulfill this graduation requirement, as long as biological and physical sciences are included.

The high school I used to teach at offered both Biology and Environmental Science as intro level biological science courses, but I think a Biology credential was required to teach either of them.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2017

With a credential in science concentrating in physics, you can teach physics at all levels including AP plus general science courses (labeled "physical science" and "life science") intended for students up to the equivalent of ninth or tenth grade. The authorization to teach life science comes as part of the Foundational-level Science package (that is, CSET Science subtests I and II). Environmental science is an AP area, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that you'd need the biology authorization to teach it.

5. Rodge88

Rodge88 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

Thank you for the great responses. Very good information.