Does Daily Five also work in upper elementary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Missy99, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

Thanks to another thread here, I ordered the book but have not yet received it, so...

I was wondering if anyone in the upper grades has used Daily Five in their classroom and if it worked well for them?

We are doing the three-way split this year and I will be the reading teacher.

TIA for you help! :)

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 5, 2009

I started last year with my 4th Graders and will certainly continue it this year. It worked great! I did, however, work with a fixed set of stories and novels, not the individual book baskets that The Sisters talk about.

If you would like to see what I did, I can post my plans, etc.

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

Wow, would you? I'd love the input.

Since I won't be self-contained this year, I will be able to really concentrate on doing a great job teaching reading, and I would love all the help I can get. Thanks!

5. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 5, 2009

I am planning to use the Daily 5 this year with my class (5th and 6th graders). There is a teacher in my district who used it with 4th grade last year and loved it. I'm hoping it will be successful in my room.

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2009

Me, too. I can't wait for the book to get here so I can start planning. Have you already read it?

7. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Aug 5, 2009

I'd love to see what you did as well. I'll be teaching 4th this year and would love to see how someone else used it in their classroom.

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

This is what I did last year with 4th Grade:

I had an hour 4x a week and 90 minutes on the other day. My rotations were 20 minutes long and the students had the choice of Independent Reading (IR), Partner Reading (PR), Word Work (WW), and Writing (Wr). I required that they work their way through all 4 before repeating a choice.

We are working with novels, so this example would be repeated throughout the novel.

Day 1: Listen to Chapters 1-5 of novel on tape, or teacher reads aloud and students follow along in their books. (Usually this needed to be carried over to day 2.)

Days 2-7: Students work through rotations of IR, PR, WW, or Wr. Word Work and Writing exercises have to do with vocabulary and writing prompts specific to each of the chapters in this group.

Day 8: Vocabulary work and reading notebooks (where writing was done) are due; test is given on this chapter group.

Repeat for the next chapter group.

We had a mini-lesson on a reading or writing topic 3x a week and I pulled small groups for more intensive instruction so that I worked with each student 3 -4 times during the chapter group.

The only change that I plan on making for next year is that I will add Listen to Reading as a choice with CDs of the books and individual CD players. I've been recording the stories that we will start with and DH has burned them to CDs.

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2009

You're a real peach. Thanks so much for all of this helpful info. I am looking forward to implementing this in my classroom!

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

i thought I saw that the sisters wrote a book about the daily five for upper grades...no?

I was at a reading conference earlier this summer, and I thought I heard a few teachers discussing it....

ok...looked and maybe not. I think it was the CAFE book that they were talking about...they were raving how well it worked and prompting this other teacher to get it and DO IT!

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I saw that book, too, and was tempted to order it as well, but I had not read enough or heard much about it. I hate to spend $$$ if I am not sure I can use something.

Ha ha. Some of the sales techniques utilized scare me. I attended one workshop where I swear the entire audience was practically hypnotized :lol:

12. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

Help the oldtimer who is out of the loop--what's Daily 5???

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur