Does Class Size Matter?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Jun 29, 2016.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2016

Many, many people hold high school diplomas but it doesn't mean they possess the skills that the state standards lay out as what someone with a high school diploma is supposed to do.

I don't think we can use the Master's degree as some measure because they are so different in what is taught for the degree and how the students are graded. A friend just completed a Masters and was shocked at the quality of work that was considered passing.

2. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2016

I don't understand this. I don't see how one parent complaining can ruin the culture of the classroom. If it only takes 1 to ruin everything, there is no hope for school. Your comment also implies that there are never parents in other countries questioning or getting upset at the teacher or that all children are supported educationally in other countries. This is statistically impossible to believe.

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 20, 2016

I'm largely with you in terms of all the specific points you're making - I don't think tech has revolutionized education - it's a vehicle, not a destination in terms of instruction & intervention.

I'm with a2z in that I don't see the possession of degrees as automatically translating into skill or qualification.

I agree about home environment having a huge impact. Where I disagree is that that's the hinge around which everything revolves. Not that it's not a huge, huge deal, but there are other strategies and resources which have proven very helpful for kids, even with no home support. This means that it's possible to help kids without home support, even if it's a lot more tough.

readingrules12 likes this.