Does Anyone...

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by teachntravl, Aug 28, 2011.

1. teachntravl

teachntravl Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with a student who, 2 weeks in, is just totally and completely spacey? I call tables by group name (if you sit at the red table, etc.) and this boy is completely vacant. Tunes me out, daydreaming, off in his own little world. So frustrating! Usually they get used to the table by color thing in less than a week, and even my baby-babies (those who have never been to preschool and are close to the cut-off age) are following directions and know what color table they sit at. I can tell him to write his name and then I circle the room and he still hasn't done it (this AFTER I've already instructed the whole class to do so multiple times).

My behavior system works and he's aware of it, but it's like he's not even conscious of the fact that he's not listening. It's not intentional, he's not being defiant.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

You may want to make sure that you have his attention before giving him a direction -- touch his shoulder, tap his paper where he is to put his name, pass him his pencil, get him to repeat your instructions etc...

4. teachntravl

teachntravl Rookie

Aug 29, 2011

Thanks. Yep, done that.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 29, 2011

I would keep notes on him. He may have ADHD inattentive type.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

Had 12 yr old that was completely spaced some days...had him tested and he qualified for spec. Ed services. It took months of documentation and lots of persistence

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 30, 2011

I had a student last week who was like that, but he doesn't speak or understand much English. At least I figured out that he wasn't being defiant, he just couldn't understand what I asked him to do.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2011

And remember, you have only been in school for 2 weeks. You need to try your strategies for longer periods (just in case the child does have special needs - cognitive delay, processing issues, receptive language delay...) for the student to catch on to what you are doing and what he is expected to do. Don't just try something for a day or two and then say the strategy doesn't work.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2011

Do you think the child may have a hearing problem?

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 30, 2011

All good advice above. I would talk to the kid and find out more and see if you can root anything out - like a serious home issue or something. My next step would be to talk to the parents and see if they agree/observe the same thing at home. If they do, I would start some serious dosumentation and RtI and see where that goes. For strategies, you might try specifically cueing him in by looking at him and specifically telling him you are about to XYZ and/or some picture cards on a ring that say things like listen, watch the teacher, etc... I also sometimes go through a series of things like "if you can hear me, raise your hand", "if you can hear me, touch your nose", etc... until they are all looking/listening.

11. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 30, 2011

Yeah, I have several who are still like this and we are half way into week 2! I have learned it's mostly because they are 5!:lol: I have 5 students who just turned 5 within the past 2 weeks! You have to remember it takes routine and consistent procedures! Now, if this child still can't manage to get packed up or still isn't catching on after Halloween, then I might worry!!!;)

I also do the touch your nose or pat your head if you can hear me thing...some kids just have a difficult time focusing, or are so exhausted, they have tuned me out. I think natural consequences for these students are most effective. IE. you don't go wash your hands when I call your table, then you go to lunch with dirty hands... I had one who didn't pack his backpack when I told him and as a result, he ended up leaving that day without it! Guess what...he never let that happen again! Sometimes they just have to learn...I don't get bent out of shape about it...

Oh! I forgot, sometimes in the early days/weeks if I want them to do something particular, like come to the rug, or write their name, I give a special treat to the students who do the behavior I request. Nothing special, a sticker or a smelly (smelly chapstick rubbed on back of their hands)... The others will protest, "I didn't get one!" I always say, "Were you doing what I asked you to do?! Did you come to straight to the rug or did you wander around the room?" Try it!!! IT WORKS!!!:thumb: