Does anyone use SRA Real Math?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by redrose21, Sep 8, 2008.

1. redrose21

redrose21 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

We just adopted a new math program called SRA Real Math? Does anyone use this program? If so how do you feel about it?

3. TheRock

TheRock New Member

Mar 14, 2009

SRA Real math

Which school district are you in? We are considering adopting SRA in our elementary schools but someone heard that the SRA rep said it was not supporting their math materials in CA any longer so would not participate in a pilot, give training, etc? Has that been your experience? Thanks.

4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 14, 2009

I use SRA Real Math and like it for the most part. It spirals very nicely from grade to grade, and for the most part, it is a vigorous curriculum (at least at my level, 2nd grade). I like the math games that come with it as they are a really fun way to reinforce the concepts as you teach them. It is a very interactive curriculum and the teacher guide parts are very comprehensive.

I hate that they say "ring" instead of "circle" when they are instructing the student to circle the correct answer, but I think that may be a regional dialect type of thing.

They have a cross-curricular resource that I hate. It is way beyond 2nd grade ability to do half the activities in it! I simply choose not to use it, but to come up with my own cross curricular activities.

However, their other resource materials for enrichment and remediation are great and I am able to use them in my differentiation.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. redrose21

redrose21 Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

SRA Real Math

We have been using it for about 6 months yet and my district hates it with a passion. At any given time you can hear teachers talking about how horrible it is. We are in a poverty area and I am not sure if that has some to do with it. We had training on it but but our district provided the training not the company. I can tell you that in our district we all hate the program. I personally have been using supplementals and our old books to teach from. If that is the way your district goes good luck. Hope your district makes a better choice than mine did.

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2009

I hate the "ring" thing, too. I thought it was just to lower the readability, then I saw it some high school materials, so I am really not too sure.

The only problem we've had with SRA since its scripted is that some kids just don't understand whats going on because they can't process it without further infromation. Of course, we supplement, but SRA makes it very clear their words are research proven and not to deviate.

Thats at least for some of their programs. I don't know if math is scripted.