Does anyone use echalk?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Mar 19, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 19, 2010

We were sold on using oncourse and told that it was so great because we could just copy and paste lessons from year to year.

As usual, everyone bought right into it. Write lesson plans once really well and recycle. This would have been great if we kept oncourse, but now we are told next year we will be using echalk.

Has anyone used it?

Good or bad?

Their website appears childish. It also looks like a sales pitch...quotes from a few places that love it...the save money pitch is what I think grabbed our districts attention.

echalk.com

3. tech4teachers

tech4teachers New Member

Mar 22, 2010

So sorry you are having to make a transition - I hope your district provided opportunities for the teachers to contribute to the decision-making.

The schools in my district use eChalk and we have recently piloted the lesson planner component. In reviewing the website of oncourse, it appears the features of the eChalk lesson planner and oncourse are very similar. Of course, you'll have to learn new navigation, etc.

For a quick overview:
    - eChalk has the standards built in
    - allows you to automatically post homework, classwork, standards, and any lesson attachments (PowerPoint, worksheets, etc.) to your class page
    - lets you share lessons with colleagues
    - copy and modify lessons from other teachers (with original author cited)
    - submit lessons for administrator review
    -run reports of how often and which dates you taught each standard
    - search your lesson collection and the shared lesson collection by standard or keyword

In addition to all the lesson planner features, eChalk's class pages are very user-friendly for the teacher, students, and parents. One of the greatest benefits we have found is the built-in translation tool that translates all the assignments on your class page into more than 30 different languages. We are using eChalk to overcome the language barrier and increase parent involvement in their children's education.

I would encourage you to contact your eChalk sales rep and see if they are going to provide any assistance in transitioning your lesson plans from one system to another. Not sure if it is possible, but it would certainly be worth asking. No one wants to re-enter their lesson plans. However, I also suspect most companies make import-export difficult in order to keep customers from switching to a competitor.

Best of luck!
    :)
    Noelle

4. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 22, 2010

No such luck.

Not that it would have really changed anything. Every committee recommendation we've made has been ignored.

5. atomic

atomic Companion

May 28, 2010

Its official. We're switching. No more oncourse.

I really miss filling out the little boxes in my grade book. Life was so much easier back then. I could spend my time developing lesson and setting up units. Now I'm behind a screen typing in how many state standards I hit everyday.

Funny thing is...a lot of my students don't have access to computers or the internet outside of school. Plus they are closing the community library, where they used to be able to go.

6. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 17, 2010

Had our first intro power point presentation for echalk. It looks interesting.

Biggest problem I see will be the disadvantages for the students without computers or the internet.

7. atomic

atomic Companion

Jan 4, 2011

Getting trained in echalk tomorrow.