Does anyone use Creative Curriculum?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pre-k13, Aug 28, 2008.

1. pre-k13

pre-k13 Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

If you do, I was just curious as to how many anecdotal records that you have to have for each child for a checkpoint. I feel like all I do is write anecdotal records!

And also, I'm using the Post-It note system on a grid. Each child has their own page divided up into the four areas. Does anyone else use something different that works better?

Thanks!!

3. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I use CC. I just attended 2 workshops on it, one for assessments and one for lesson planning. I was told that there is no set number required for each child and anecdotal records. They just want to be sure that you are observing every child for all of the 50 goals and objectives. We do 2 assessments, Fall and Spring. The most important thing is that you use those observations to plan your instruction. If your observations show that most children do not understand one-to-one correspondence, then you should plan activities that build this skill. Also, if you look over your observations and see that you have not observed children for any of the social skills, you should plan activities that incorporate them and observe the children.
    I use a binder, with color coded papers (yellow-Social Dev, Blue-cognitive, etc.) I have tabs with each child's name and behind each tab is the 4 color coded papers. I have a clipboard with labels on them and when I take notes, I peel the label and put them on the correct colored paper for that child. I also use portfolios and the Individual Child Profile for assessing. I also do more formal assessments when it comes to shapes, colors, numbers, and letters.

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Aug 28, 2008

I use the creative curriculum website to keep track. As for the anecdotal question, I keep little file lables on my clipboard an when I hear something funny, I write it down and stick it to a piece of typing paper. Every Friday I go through and update each child's profile online. I am somewhat new to Cretive Curriculum so I'm not really sure how many anecdotals are required.

5. luv4994

luv4994 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I used it a little bit last year but we only had 2 child on just to try it out. I did print out CC check lists for each child and created a CC folder for each of them.

This september my director is going to send us to a seminar on CC so that we can learn to use it more effectively.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

love it/hate it

I have a love/hate relationship with CC and CC.net. I love the fact that everything, including the lesson plan template is on line, and some directors will let you email your lessons. Your parent conferences are so easy, because you can cut and paste stuff right from the assessements. they even provide activities to help with areas that the children are lacking.

On the otherhand, it can be as scripted as Open Court Reading. If you decide to do something different, and nobody can find one of those 50 areas to tag into, they go off on you. "Why are you doing that, that doesn't cover anything we need!" That takes away from teaching and learning, IMO.

Ms. Dodge has moved into infant toddlers, reading and math for the CC. she has workshops, and conferences. That woman has to be rolling in dough. (yes, she even has recipes for playdough in that handbook! :D) I don't see what she is doing that is different from anything I learned in undergrad work. All she did was put a name on it. But if you are in State Pre-k, you still must follow state learning standards, so that's more writing. I think it can become rather redundant. Verifying the verifier, if you will.

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

See, now, we don't do anything online and it seems like it would make my life so much easier!!!

8. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I like doing everything online. I just wish I could get an internet connection at work and not have to do everything at home.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

yes, that makes a big difference. some places don't allow you to take kids' files home. it's confidential. yeah, well...you don't have time to do all that data entry work as I call it at the job!

ttmor..you should go to the website and take the tour!

http://www.creativecurriculum.net/tour_intro.cfm

10. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

Master Pre-K

Thanks for the website. I took the tour and WOW! would that be useful!!!! My school, however, does not subscribe to it :(
    I particularly love how they guide you to activities that could help a child improve in a specific area. It seems really helpful. I am going to ask my director about it on Tuesday.
    Thanks again

11. pre-k13

pre-k13 Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Wow...we have to have 3 anecdotal records relating to each of the 50 objectives on each child. So 150 in all for each child! And that is for every checkpoint, of which there are three. It's really frustrating. I wish that the CC people would set a number. From district to district is so different. The last school I was at only had to have 4 for each area.

Those are good ideas for keeping the records. I might try the label idea for my next checkpoint.

Thanks for all your help!

12. Ms.Manda08

Ms.Manda08 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

We have to do 2 anecdotals per child/per week in 7 week increments.

I just started with a company that uses CC very thoroughly, and I must say the anecdotal-writing is a tad overwhelming. Sometimes I feel as if I'm not really getting much time to interact with my children.

I'm constantly walking around with a notebook and pen.

I tried using a voice recorder, but the children would stop and ask me questions about why I was talking to myself.

It's frustrating, but I guess it can be done.

I walk around with just a single notebook, and at the end of each week I type (or use voice recognition so I don't strain my hands) it all into our anecdotal record forms.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 11, 2008

Divide up the work. Ask everyone in the classroom to provide observations. If you work in a head start, ask the other staff to help. I was the Food Service Manager, and loved spending some time observing--it gives us a chance to have more variety in our job.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2008

i use post it notes. I just write them as I see them, and toss them in my drawer. On my inservice day, or during staff meetings :)D), I will transfer them to the forms.

15. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 13, 2008

I use the little sticky address labels. I write down the date, names of involved and the anecdote. I stick them on a piece of copy paper and every few weeks I update my files.

(I think I posted this before, sorry it's a repeat)

16. cartali

cartali New Member

Jul 13, 2010

creative curriculum lesson plans

I am new to this forum, I was wondering if you have a lesson plan template that I could use. If you have I could give yo my fax number or you can e-mail it as well. I really appretiated.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

Master, I agree, CC is not saying anything new. It just presents it and gives it a new name. Lucky CC, they get the credit and the money.

18. Preschool_Rocks

Preschool_Rocks Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I use the creative curriculum in my classroom too. We have to do 3 anecdotals a week on every child, and by the end every checkpoint we have to have at least 2 anecdotals for every objective. I take a lot of pictures with my camera to use as the anecdotals. I go around working with children and snapping pictures. The camera actually helps me out a lot because it saves the time on writing. We have acess to the cc.net so I upload all my pictures as my anecdotal. My ta also has a camera so we're both snapping pictures.

19. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Other than the assessment methods, what else does CC offer? I'm sorry to say that the book is in my closet, I've tried to read it through, but I just don't get it. It just says all obvious stuff that is common sense.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 13, 2010

punch, CC creates some outlines of application that keep the program developmentally appropriate.

21. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Well, I am going to get that book and try to figure out what you mean. :)

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2010

My district uses it, loosely. When I went to the 2-day training, it was mostly focused on project approach moreso than the book.

I see the book as giving you a "how to set up your classroom," centers, schedule ideas, etc... moreso than a "here's what to teach and what order and how" that most elementary people think of at the curriculum.

I think it's a LOT of what good programs do anyway, they just put it in a book and a package and give it a name and created assessments ot go with it.

23. wItalia

wItalia Rookie

Jul 15, 2010

Hi,
    This is our 7th year using the Creative Curriculum. The rule of thumb for our program is 2 observations per child a week. In the teacher planning sessions they decide which goal they will be working on and how to group children in small groups. In their planning the environment creates the opportunity to practice the goal/skill and the small group is designed to meet the child's level of the goal/skill (what do you want the child to learn).Teachers are expected to document focused observations and out of focus observatons. Focused observations are specific to the cc goal that you are working on with the individual child or a small group. Out of focus observations are taken when children have choice time and are working in different areas. To accurately assess the child's success in the level of the goal selected the teacher needs to observe the child practice the goal three times in two different areas.

24. hudsonsmom

hudsonsmom New Member

Jul 19, 2010

Creative Curriculum for special ed??

Hi, I am a somewhat new teacher starting my second year. I teach preschool disabled and am trying to figure out how this curriculum will work with the special needs population. I know that this curricum stresses the importance of creativity and dramatic play as well as having the children chose their centers and areas of interest, etc. Last year I did a letter person of the week, I just attended a seminar by the state (NJ) and was told that letters taught inclusively was no good, either are worksheets. How do I go about this when I have severe learning disabled children in my room? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!