Does anyone use CGI (Cognitively Guided Instruction) in their classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Issa, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Issa

Issa Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

My school has been sending all of the teachers to training for CGI. This year we are not getting our usual Math textbooks and we are using CGI. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or websites that might help me.

3. faeryofpurejoy

faeryofpurejoy Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

:sorry: I was in a school that tried this for a couple years, my 7th graders were the last group. We stopped using it when their NCLB test scores had dropped 36%. I had to order translations of books from Taiwan, Japan, and other Eastern countries to get the kind of problems you need to use. Try googling them. I had a link but i can't post them yet.

The school I am currently at is also using it now. I've spent the past week teaching them that when we borrow the 10 from 14 that's it's still 14 not 40. I don't see it lasting. It's not possible for us to get enough people who know advanced proofs into Elementary classrooms in our current system.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

It's the ONLY way we were taught to teach math in my methods classes in college. That being said, I have yet to come across a district (aside from the one near my university that we all used for clinicals that semester) that actually uses it.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I've been trained in CGI and used it a lot in my kinder classroom when working on word problems. Example: There are seven hens on the farm. Each hen has four eggs. How many eggs are on the farm? They would either draw pictures or use blocks. We'd also do division - I have 30 cookies. There are 15 students. How many cookies will each student get? etc.
    I will be doing the same type of thing this year in 4th. However, it is not the only method I use.

6. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008