Does anyone teach Sunday School AND elementary? Is it too much?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 24, 2013

So the fiance and are trying to get more involved in ministries at our church. I signed up to attend an information session for the children's ministry (Sunday School) several weeks ago and forgot about it. They sent me an email to come to an information session later this week. The email states that you may have to bring some of your own materials for the class.

Fiance was like "WHOA RED FLAG! You're already so overworked teaching and planning lessons for your class AND after school program. Won't it be too much to do both? Maybe you should consider being an aide."

When I signed up, my thought was that Sunday school would be super easy. Ya know, coloring pictures of Jesus, singing songs, reading the children's Bible, then sending the kids home. (But then again when I first started teaching I assumed THAT would be easy too:lol:)

But if it requires a lot of the same tasks that go into regular school, then I think he's right. At best I can be an aide.

I'm going to go to the information session but I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone has done both and what their experience is like,

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

My Sunday School followed a "curriculum" using a workbook. I probably wouldn't teach SS if I had to create lessons from scratch.

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 24, 2013

Do you have any ideas for a polite way I can ask that during the information session? I don't want to seem like a lazy person or anything, but how do you politely say, "Hey how much work are you guys going to expect of me? Will I have to make lessons from scratch?"

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 24, 2013

I don't think going to the information session would hurt. There's nothing wrong with saying you would rather assist than teach. Often, churches want you to assist first anyway. I haven't done children's ministry since before I was teaching, but I think at this point I would only want to be a helper. When I taught Sunday school there was a curriculum to follow so there was lesson planning and prep for crafts and such. It does all depend on the church though. I have a coworker who says she won't work with the age she is currently teaching for her job because it gets to be too much of the same, so that is another approach. I would just be honest - explain that you teach during the week and want to ease into doing both at once by assisting at first. You'll learn really fast how much planning and prep the teacher has to do!

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

When I was a Christian Ed Director, my requests were frequently rejected by employed teachers because of exactly what you are saying. They just told me that they spend all week with students and would like to help in some other way. Some served on the Christian Ed committee instead. Most did volunteer for the week long Bible School in the summer, so that's something you could consider if that's an option.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 24, 2013

I won't work at church for that reason. My days are filled with children, and I want to attend church to learn myself. I won't teach Sunday school, junior church, or VBS.

They ask. I decline.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 24, 2013

You've all bought up valid points and i appreciate the advice and opinions. I looked at the email attachment they sent more closely and it appears they are expecting me to come up with a series of workshops for the students (ie: 1. What is the title of your workshop? 2. What will the children get out of your workshop series?")

Apparently this particular ministry is not held on Sundays, but on Monday, Wed, Thurs and Saturday. I'm thinking I'm going to email back the lady and tell her that I would rather work as an assistant/aide because this is my first time teaching Bible study for children and I am not experienced.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, that would be WAY too much for me.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 24, 2013

I'd probably never do it, but if you really want to, try it & see. Can you tell them you'll try it on a temporary basis (like a month or two) & after that you'll let them know if you want to continue?

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Mar 24, 2013

My church always asks teachers to do Sunday school. I adore my job, but I want to spend my time with adults on weekends.

12. msufan

msufan Comrade

Mar 24, 2013

Same exact thought here. I don't want to burn out from never getting away from teaching. I'd rather volunteer to mow the lawn or something.

13. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2013

I don't teach Sunday School, but I teach classes on Sunday for children in the religious services I attend. I teach high school, and I teach kids that are in 6th-8th grade on Sundays. I love it--I don't think it's too much for me.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 24, 2013

I did before I moved. I taught a much younger age than I taught then so it felt different than my weekday teaching and they had a curriculum. I spent about an hour a week prepping.

I wouldn't have done it had I had to create lessons from scratch.

I miss it but there are no openings in the ages I would want here.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

My parents taught sunday school when I was younger and they spent A LOT of time on it. They had a curriculum but they felt it wasn't good so they made a lot of their own stuff. My mom wasn't working full time at the time. The teachers ranged from people like them to people that had us fill out worksheets every week.

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2013

Holy Moly, Monday, Wed, Thurs and Saturday!!!!! please, just say you "can't take that much time away from your family!"

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 25, 2013

Wait - I assume Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Sat would all be separate groups of teachers/aides? You wouldn't actually be teaching all of those days, right?

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 25, 2013

I would assume so, but then I also assumed this ministry was SUNDAY school. I didn't even know they had bible study for kids during the week. Evenings are pretty much impossible for me b/c even though I enjoy kids, after being w/them @ work all day, it makes me feel overwhelmed to teach again in the evening.

I think if ur willing to do more than 1 day a week they'd be thrilled. The form asked what days I was available and if I would be willing to do 1h:eek:r, 1.5 or 2hrs

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2013

At my church they don't call it sunday school because it's never held on sundays but on some weeknights and saturday. You would only have one class to teach once a week. Even that would be too much for me. My mom has done it for years and there is so much work that goes into it. If there were some sort of compensation then I would consider it but with a full time job my time is just too valuable. People who do not work full time or people who have jobs where they do not have to bring work home are probably more suited for this kind of thing.

20. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 25, 2013

That's very true. My best friend teaches Sunday school and loves it...but her main job is working as a budget analysis w/a computer, so to her, the kids r probably super relaxing.

21. First School

First School Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

It would become very hectic for me to teach both in elementary and Sunday school. I wouldn't be able to manage time for my personal life and time spending for my family and friends.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 25, 2013

I did it for a while...I had a program to do, but I still had to come up with an art project and gather all the supplies each week. The hardest part was turning the teacher off. Parents didn't feel that SS teachers should expect their child to behave. I was stressed by the yelling and total out of control behavior that was allowed. I felt that church should be a place of respect...no yelling, running, or screaming inside. I found it so stressful that I had to quit.

23. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

The church I grew up in was very much like your original thought - the SS teachers had workbooks and we'd do little crafts or something. Nothing that required too much planning. The church we go to now is more intensive with lesson planning and stuff. I probably wouldn't want to do that much if I was teaching all week.

24. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2013

Wow! You've been reading my mind! I'm absolutely buried at school, and 2 Sundays a month, I teach a ladies' class at Sunday School. It's pretty in-depth and requires a lot of prep, which I love, but then I feel more buried! I certainly can't give up my school job, but I don't feel like I should give up the Sunday School teaching either. So I'm still in a pickle! Just praying for the strength to do it all! :)

25. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2013

I was asked last year, and I said I would do it with a grade other than what I regularly teach. We had a pretty good curriculum and everything was provided--I spent maybe 20 minutes looking over the lesson and doing my own reading to prepare. If it was anything more than that, however, I probably wouldn't have done it.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2013

For me it would be too much. I need the weekend to wind down from the busy week. I'm not looking to do more teaching on the weekend (of course it sounds like in this case it's during the week as well).

27. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 25, 2013

I agree. I think I want to become involved in a ministry outside of teaching/instructing. Maybe the nursery (I enjoy holding, cuddling and playing with babies), music ministry or the written word ministry.

I don't want to burn myself out.

28. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 26, 2013

I've been looking for ways to become more involved in our church as well, but I also think that Sunday school would be too much. I did teach a week of vacation bible school last summer and plan to do that again this year. I want to find another way to help out.