Does anyone teach spelling in context instead...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Jun 25, 2009.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

of in isolation (weekly spelling tests)? I have the same question about grammar.. I'm reading The Art Of Teaching, by Lucy Calkins and she writes about this.

Does anyone have any good websites or books that might discuss this?? I'm curious what the research says.

Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2009

4. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

Thank you, Teacher Groupie.. I'll check out all your links. I also found a book called Mechanically Inclined, which is about teaching grammar within the writing workshop.

5. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 26, 2009

I have to recommend Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson... I can't put it down. I bought it yesterday and was going to read it after I was done with The Art Of Teaching Writing, but it sucked me in..:lol: It's geared toward middle school, but you could easily adapt it to elementary. The guy has some great strategies on how to weave grammar into writer's workshop. It might be possible for me to set the drill and kill grammar worksheets aside and teach grammar in context!! :celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

6. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jun 27, 2009

I teach grammar by reading Woe is I Jr. with the class. I love the way the book is written - it really makes sense to my SpEd kids. It breaks things down to the basics and it has example sentences and poems for some topics. I even printed out the poems and posted them in the classroom.

7. Kipper

Kipper Rookie

Jun 27, 2009

"In the Middle" by Nancie Atwell
    In a nutshell, she surrounds her students with great literature and has a great knack for helping each of them find something they are interested in. This is the reading part of things. She also does mini-lessons (could be about grammar or something else) which gets into the writing part of things. I loved it!