Does anyone teach or have taught creative writing?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Apr 4, 2017.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 4, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm going to teach creative writing as an elective in the fall. I've never taught it, and am really excited to do so. If you teach it (or have taught it) could you please share with me what curriculum you use? I'll most likely pick and choose different things from different resources, but I'd love to get any ideas, or websites you use. Thanks! :)

3. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 4, 2017

I haven't, but I'm also curious. (English/Secondary Ed major, Creative Writing minor. I could run into this myself one day.)

linswin23 likes this.
  4. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Apr 5, 2017

Not sure how much help this will be. I've never taught ELA. I'm a social studies teacher. But one of the most popular electives at my high school was creative writing. From what I remember, it was a writing workshop style. They had a particular piece (short fiction, poem, song lyrics, etc) that was their like focus of the week, and students just wrote and asked the teacher for feedback during class time. if there wasn't a particular focus they had free writing time to edit or write other works and they could get feedback on those too. Within each of the focus units they had examples and good tactics for writing in that style. At the end of each marking period they could choose to share their writing with the class in an 'open mic night' style.

Hope this helped a little bit!

Obadiah likes this.
  5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2017

I've gotten the green light to start a poetry writing elective. I'm using this text but supplementing it with lessons on creating Edublogs so students can post / share their work in a monitored setting as well as use it as a platform to create an online portfolio.

linswin23 likes this.
  6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 5, 2017

Thanks for sharing!

7. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Apr 6, 2017

I'm an elementary teacher. One of the problems I've noticed in teaching writing in elementary school is that it's becoming too structured, almost like an assembly line approach or baking a cake. In fact, English classes seem to overemphasize the mechanics of English and then tack on a writing exercise. Some specific structures of essays and poetry seem crammed into earlier grades; my third graders are taught essay structures that I never learned until 11th grade! Too much too soon too quickly, in my opinion, doesn't give students the overall development they need to grow into effective writers. Instead of preparing students for secondary writing, I wonder if they are overwhelmed with tidbits of knowledge but less cohesive substance on how to proficiently use that knowledge.

The local writers group in my hometown uses a workshop style of collaborating in developing their writing skills. They have a library of resources and meet together to discuss their individual projects. In conjunction with the local university, established authors often meet with the group. I would think this would be the ideal format for secondary writing classes, also.

linswin23 likes this.
  8. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 6, 2017

I agree with you wholeheartedly! Kids need to learn to love writing and have fun with it. Of course, mechanics and structure are necessary, but they need time to explore the world through writing.

Obadiah likes this.