Does anyone teach handwriting any more?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AbbyR, Dec 16, 2006.

1. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

I an currently a newspaper editor, working on getting back into the classroom by fall. I just finished typing in letters to Santa for our paper from the K-3 students in our district, and a good half or more of the letters were absolutely impossible to read - they looked like marks on the page. These weren't just the letters from the kindergarten students - they were all the way up to third grade.

So-do you teach kids handwriting any more? I know we had to do it through third grade at least when I was teaching.

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2006

I teach handwriting from day one (1st grade) and no matter how hard I try to teach them the correct letter formation they always create a style of their own which is next to impossible to change. Some are neat and some are not.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 16, 2006

Our school teaches handwriting formally from K through 4th grades. By 5th grade all work must be done in cursive writing.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 16, 2006

At my school handwriting starts in pre-K and by first grade they're already starting to write in cursive. By third grade, all of their work is expected to be in cursive. I agree with Rosieo, though. No matter how much you practice, some children write neatly and some don't. Even as adults, we've all got our own style of writing with some of us writing much more neatly than others.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2006

Ahhh!!!! I just found out this week that the great majority of my sixth grade students cannot reading cursive writing...which I use often when I am leaving comments on their papers.

I told them in January we would take a little time to go over cursive writing...they HAVE to know how this stuff!

Also, I learned a few months ago that very, very few of them can read a clock. Ridiculous!

7. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2006

I teach handwriting (first grade) and it is VERY hard to break them of habits that they formed years ago.....we all do it...even as hard as I try to model correct letter formation, I don't....I too have my habits of making letters the "wrong way" (or just differently from the way the program we use teachs it).

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 16, 2006

It is frightening, isn't it?

9. darzie

darzie Companion

Dec 16, 2006

In our school district it's a huge controversy. I teach fifth grade, and I expect almost everything turned in to be in cursive. People want to know why in the world I require that of my students in this computer-driven world. They say that even signatures don't have to be in cursive. Our district requires that all 3rd graders learn it, but after that it isn't in our curriculum. I don't know. I'm giving up.

10. QTee

QTee New Member

Dec 16, 2006

Yes we are in a computer age. But we should still teach cursive writing in our schools! I find that children 11-14 years old can’t read cursive writing!

It is a VERY, VERY sad day, indeed, when we put a copy of the
    Declaration of Independence in front of these children and they can NOT read it because it is in cursive!

*shaking head*

~QTee

11. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 16, 2006

I teach 5th grade and because it is not in my state objectives or standards, I am not allowed to cover it. The standard states that they must either be able to write legible in print or cursive. I do not teach it per se, however I have cursive posted in my room and on their desks. Second semester, I start writing in cursive more on the board because I am sure that in middle school some teachers write and cursive and my students need to be able to read it. If it is not our grade level standard, we must not teach it. Yes, we do have district and state personnel that come in our room and check on what we are teaching. -Thank you NCLB.:rolleyes:

12. darzie

darzie Companion

Dec 16, 2006

I completely agree! I've been fighting this battle for the past 10 years! Any suggestions??? Is anyone else having this problem?

13. darzie

darzie Companion

Dec 16, 2006

P.S. None of our middle school or high school teachers require the kids to write in cursive. They just want it legible.

14. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2006

This is really bad. It was only a few years ago that I realized that my own son, about 12 at the time, couldn't read a regular clock. Then I looked around the house and realized that all the clocks were digital and the clocks in his school were digital. Not good!

15. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

That is the situation we are in! If it is not a standard, don't teach it!

16. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Dec 16, 2006

That's what I figured the problem was - not in standards, don't teach. That makes no sense at all. I don't care how computer-centered the culture is, you still need to be able to write - notes, grocery lists, anything. And they have to learn to read it - I don't think written communication is going anywhere any time soon.

17. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

We're not supposed to but I made a handwriting center, I give the students handwriting assignments, and I've began requiring my students to take their spelling test in print and cursive. I do about one mini lesson a week on handwriting. Shh! Don't tell anyone!

18. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

It is ironic, I make time weekly for typing, but not for handwriting/cursive. It is so hard to fit everything in, and when you work for a district that makes computers a priority, there really isn't time to work on the actually formation of handwriting. (They are currently doing their writing in language arts by hand, but later in the year, their final writing assignments will be on the computers.) I have been planning to start using cursive sheets as part of the homework late in the year.