Does anyone still mail birthday cards?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bison, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

I'd really like to start mailing my friends and family birthday cards every year (rather than just throwing one on a gift if they happen to have a party). I feel like this used to be common but no one really does it anymore except for close family, especially in my generation. I know my friends hardly receive fun stuff in the mail and it's definitely a day-brightener. I'm just in that kind of mood, I guess!

So, does anyone still do this for a good number of people? I'm wondering what the most efficient/organized way to go about this is. Keep a little book of just birthdays? Buy cards as needed? Keep a box of cards ready to mail? Any sources for nice quality but not insanely priced paper goods would be appreciated as well. I'm browsing Etsy but it's gotten so huge that it's hard to find nice things!

Thanks everyone. :)

3. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 5, 2012

I usually only mail birthday cards to my immediate family (parents and brother). Other than that, I don't, and I don't really get cards in the mail from people outside of family either. I love getting mail, and I enjoy writing notes/letters, so I would totally send them out, if it didn't seem like i was the only one doing so!

4. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

That's exactly how I think my friends probably feel, Ilovesummer. I think they'd enjoy receiving them. I don't mind being the weirdo, especially if it puts a smile on people's faces. :)

5. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

The only birthday card I get in the mail each year is from Palais Royal. I must admit... I'm always excited to get it as there is always a $10 gift certificate in it. :lol:

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I only mail cards to my parents and my grandpa. I saw an idea about mailing birthday cards to students which I thought was a really cool idea. I don't think I've ever received a card outside of my family. I do have a couple of friends that send out Christmas cards through the mail, but it's mostly because they have really large families that all do this for each other, and then they just tack a few friends on to this list since they're already doing it anyway!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I always mail a bday card to my best friend. She is an english teacher so she loves the ones I get from Barnes and Noble that have literary quotes on the front.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I love to send cards, and love to get them even more! A lot of stores still carry them, and I can usually find something appropriate; there are some hilarious ones out there. I found some at Target I loved, their Papyrus line, until I saw the price - about $5 to $6 each!

I have a book that is designed to keep track of special dates, and usually try to buy for a month or two at a time.

9. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I love to send cards. I send them to family, friends, and some older, widowed people at my church for their birthdays. To keep it organized, I go to the card store at the beginning of the month and buy all the cards I will need for the next 3 months. Then when I get home, I address the envelopes and put the card inside, but don't seal it. I write on my calendar/planner "Mail X's Card" about 3 days before their birthday, and when it gets here I pull the card out, write a personal message, and send. Quick and easy, and I only have to card shop 4x/year for birthdays.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2012

I wish I was that organized!:) It is also so thoughtful to include others who may not be remembered by many.

11. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

Since cardmaking is a hobby of mine I have to mail cards...else I'd be buried with my so-called "masterpieces"! LOL

I do similarly to thirdgradebuzz. I have an email reminder that pops up on my screen: "Mail Nina's card today." A HUGE help! :)

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I still do! I like making them on my Hallmark greeting card maker computer program. I only really need to actually MAIL it for one of my aunts & a cousin. My parents & BF, I can hand it to them.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

That sounds like a great system, thirdgrade! I think I might do just that. I'm also just going to collect nice cards when I see them. I've already started adding reminders to mail cards to my planner. Now to get everyone's addresses rounded up!

Missy, I love those cards too and I only get them for particularly special occasions or for my mom who really appreciates nice cards. Too expensive!

I'd like to start making cards too, Ted. :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2012

Making cards sounds like a fun hobby! Do you just make them from scratch or is there a kit or something from the craft store?

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2012

I regularly resolve to mail cards to people. But then I usually don't follow through. I purchase cards through Current so that I have a nice variety on hand.

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

I mail birthday cards and anniversary cards to my familly and close friends. I also send get well, new baby, and sympathy, too. Each December I take my new calendar and transfer the dates from the old calendar to the new one. This way I'm on top of when to send birthday and anniversary cards.

17. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

You mention another nice aspect of gathering all this info, Janlee. I can definitely send cards for other occasions as well.

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

Thanks bison. I have 2 young nephews who love getting mail so sometimes I just send a "how are you doing" or "thinking of you" card. It's nice to find something to brighten your day in the mail instead of a bill!

19. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

Glad you liked it! I'm all for anything that saves time.