Does anyone still feel like they don't know what they're doing?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by JMG11, Jan 18, 2009.

1. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

I've been supplying for a few years and have had one temporary position. The school board I have just moved to has MANY contract jobs to apply to... and while I am excited about the prospects, I am terrified at the same time. The thought of having a classroom of my own is overwhelming. I know I have the know-how, the energy, the experience (especially from supplying!)... I guess I just doubt myself in a school-world where everyone expects you to know it all the first day you walk into the classroom, as well as the whole year through. I was just wondering if anyone else feels or has felt the same way!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2009

I haven't gotten hired yet but I'm feeling the same way.

4. JMG11

JMG11 Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

It's nice to know that I'm not just the only one! Coming from a family of non-teachers, nobody understands the stress of it.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2009

I've been working in elementary for several years (aide) and I'm comfortable there. I recently applied for a high school teacher position and I thought to myself, "What the heck did I do?!!!" Teacher Groupie had to hold my hand in some PM to calm my nerves down. Yep, completely normal.

6. robmojeda

robmojeda New Member

Feb 9, 2009

Yep

Some of the time I'm excited and feel like its going well and then something will happen and I feel lost.

I always think of spinning plates, by the time you get to last one going the first starts to wobble :huh:

My vet teach friends tell me this is normal, so I'm trying to take it in stride.

Good luck!

7. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2009

Rob,

If your specialty is any form of special education (mine is in CA), you shouldn't have any difficulty getting your foot in the door. I also was informed that science, math, and other related single subjects are very open in education as well. I got my training in special education back in Texas and i'm grateful that I was able to land a position in the Los Angeles, CA area. Keep fighting, it's worth trying.

Aspieteacher

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 10, 2009

When I was a special ed teacher for a year, I felt this way during that year. I only taught for a year, so whnever I get hired somewhere again, I'll basically have to start over & relearn everything.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

I have two years experience, but I've been out two years. When I do get a job, it'll be like starting all over.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2009

I think it's completely normal. My first year, I had NO IDEA what the heck was going on. The kids were smart-alecks, refused to do anything, and often whined that I should just "give" them answers. And NONE of the management strategies I learned in school seemed to work!

I didn't know most of the acronyms; the techie forgot to put me on the correct email lists, so I never knew about meetings and conferences. There was no district or school wide curriculum, so I was making it up as I went along.

It got much better my second year. My third year, I went to high school. Gaaaaaaaaaah. Once again, lost in the dark. Now that I've been out two years - like smalltowngal - and am planning to start again in a new state, I'll be lost. It's natural.

I think someone said once that it takes 3 full teaching years to really get a handle on what you're doing in the classroom.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 13, 2009

I've been teaching over 15 years and still feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

12. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

I don't think you have to worry about being expected to know everything. You can't possibly know everything in your first year and your P and other teachers know that :)

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 13, 2009

If it makes you feel any better, I'm still asking what are probably stupid questions from my principal and co-teachers. They are very patient. It will all fall into place with time.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 16, 2009

I sometimes look around my classroom and think What on earth am I doing?!! How did I get here?!! I also get really stressed when I go to seminars or hear what other people are doing in their classrooms. It makes me feel like I suck sometimes.

BUT then I see the growth my students have made, and how much they are used to our daily routines, and I realize that I must be doing something right! It also helps that I teach kindergarten, because they pretty much think I'm cool no matter what.

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 17, 2009

I think this is very normal--- I find myself doubting every little thing that I do already... to even what stickers I put on their papers. What's even worse is that some kids complained about me--- some what unfairly honestly--- to the guidance counselor and now I have her coming in to observe me. She says it won't effect my job here--- she wants us to work together on this but instead I feel like I have a huge "WORST TEACHER EVER" stamped to my forever and I'm heartbroken at this point.

Having your own classroom is honestly very cool--- I inherited a classroom for my first year and so I was pretty well stocked with things. I just like how it's about me and how my kids work best and that I know where everything is and have plenty of room to stock papers and other books.

I'm basically holding my breath until I get my contract for next year--- nothing has hinted I'll be fired and EVERYBODY knows I'm totally knew to all of this (at least I'm positive enough to take help/advice and improve myself) so I'm hoping that even though I might majorly blunder sometimes, people realize that we often learn best from our mistakes.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2009

Hey, you stole my line!!!! Though I've only been teaching for 7 years total (and only two in middle school). I still sometimes walk into my classroom and feel like I'm making it up as I go along.