Does anyone oppose "Year round schools."

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kocolynn, Jun 21, 2006.

?

Does anyone work in a year round school? or have any ideas!!!

Poll closed Jun 23, 2006.
  1. Anyone for year round school?

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. I need advice on year ound schools?

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Hi, I'm working on a project and would like some advice and some thoughts on year round schools. Anything wouls be helpful!!! Does anyone work in a year round school?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

All I can tell you is my cousin works for a year round school and loves it. She likes all the mini breaks they get versus just one big summer break.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

I am not teaching yet, however, I know myself pretty well, and I always find it harder to go back to something after a long break, for instance summer vacation. I think I would prefer year round with some mini vacations here and there. In today's society, I also think it's more practical for parents, etc.

5. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 21, 2006

I would LOVE it, but only if my school got air-conditioning! Summers are too long for kids and they forget so much! I could use smaller breaks more often as well instead of one large one.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 21, 2006

There are no year round schools in my area that I know of, but I have heard good things about them. I know that teachers tend to like them because when the students come back after a long summer break they have to spend the first month or so of school reviewing things they've learned previously where if they only have a 2 or 3 week break many things are still fresh in their minds.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 21, 2006

You're right. Going to school in July and August would be miserable with no air conditioning. Many of the schools around here are very old and don't have A/C so I don't expect any year round schools to pop up any time soon!

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

I don't understand the poll question though. It's not making sense to me.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

Oh glad you asked Jenn... me neither...

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

same here....

but I dont think that I could take year round school.....I know someone that works in one and really likes it....
    I think the long breaks (2 weeks between each Q in this particualr school) would be tough..I would feel the need to wrap things up everytime we had a break.....

and I really need the time over the summer to rest up, go through things and re-group ....I don't think that I would be ready for a new group with such a short time off!

11. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 21, 2006

Year round schools are wonderful! I love having three long breaks throughout the year, plus a six week break in the summer. It is also beneficial for non-english speakers because they "lose" their learned English if they have a long summer. It is kind of a downside to have to review the first week when we come back from a break, but it is no too bad. My school calendar is 9 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 21, 2006

Year around school in our rural farming area would be a hardship for our farm families. Farm families are very busy tending to crops during the summer months. We work long hours. We get up as the sun comes up and go to bed when it is dark. Our nights are short. Children especially junior high and high school students have chores and work. At least 75% of our students are farm kids. During the winter we are more laid back and enjoy school activities. I never help with summer school. Our summer school teachers live in town.
    My kids are grown, but they love the farm and come often to help and enjoy the country. Why don't they farm, because they make way more money in the city.

13. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 21, 2006

Year-Round Schools

I teach inner-city kids and would DEFINITELY be in favor of year-round schools because the kids need the structure and stability that we provide them. That being said, I would only want to do it if my own son were on the same schedule!
    carolyn

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  14. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 21, 2006

I don't really know how I feel about year round schooling, but as a whole I think I would be a dissenter that says "nahhhh...."

1) Someone mentioned that the short breaks are easier for parents. How? I have a 5 year old son and could only imagine the difficulties of trying to find a babysitter or a program for only two weeks every 9 weeks if I worked a standard job. Right now there are a lof of child care centers offering a summer program that goes from May 1 to July 31st. This works well for them financially since they can hire correct staffing, etc for the summers. I can't really see too many child care facilities wanting to offer programs that involve taking on an entire classroom or two of children for just 2 weeks - every 9 weeks.

2) As a kid, summers were my time to be a kid. I never farmed or anything - I just spent a lot of lazy summers playing chineese checkers and double dutch jump rope when I was young and kissy-face, dress up and roller skating as I got older. I spent summers writing in my diary and pretending to be Anne of Green Gables (until WAY too late in life, I'm sure) and hanging out poolside at a friends house or at the Y. I got to go on three week long trips to grandma's house in Louisiana and catch crayfish and have summer romances (a notable one with a basist for a now famous rock group ....ahhh...if only I hadn't dumped him for his cousin) that ended when I had to catch a plane back home. Summer is time for kids to be kids and I wish my summers were as jammed with excitement now - and maybe it is because our summers are spent paying bills and cleaning the house rather than playing footsie across a picnic bench at a summer camp that we are so ready to dismiss the value of having summers off.

JMHO

~J

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 21, 2006

I agree that kids need time to be kids, but unfortunately in my demographic, the kids summer usually consists of babysitting younger siblings, or having the run of the neighborhood. I'm teaching summer school right now and I'm amazed at how many kids I see roaming the street during the day, because their parents are at work. None of the kids at our school go to day care or summer facilities. That's why it is much more beneficial to be in school, as opposed to longer summers.

16. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 21, 2006

Kat-

None? Even the 6 year olds have the run of town? Wow - AZ must have changed a lot since I moved away 3 years ago. :(

Perhpas I am just remembering the good old days that aren't there anymore, but I remember watching younger siblings and roaming the streets a little as a good thing. Off to see friends and wandering over the the movie theater (but neeeever to sneak in.....) or hanging out at the mall.

But, I dunno if that kind of innocence really exists these days.

I do, however, know how burnt out I would have felt in college if I didn't get summers off and I would be a little worried about burn out of younger students as well. The majority of jobs one will have in life aren't as difficult or as time-consuming as school is for kids and I wonder what the pros and cons are as far as two weeks ebing a sufficient enough break to keep the kids from feeling fizzled out.

~J

17. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 21, 2006

I work in the inner-city and I have trying to get the school board to go year round for a while. There is 1 year round school in our district, and I hear it is doing well.

I would much rather prefer it than to this weird 2 months off in the summer. By the 4th day I'm ready to go back. I would do better with smaller, more frequent breaks!

Kelly :)

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

The school I will be working for next year is year-round. I think that title has such a negative connotation for many families when it is actually very similar to regular schedules. My school starts on the same day as all the surrounding districts (August 1) and ends only a couple weeks later than the surrounding schools. My year-round school and the regularly scheduled schools around have ALL of June and July as vacation.

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 21, 2006

When I was younger I too roamed the street, riding my bicycle to the Circle K. I'm sure it also depends on what type of neighborhood the kids are in also,. Yes, even some of the young, young kids stay at home alone and watch their younger brothers or sisters. Another caution is gang activity, and that type of stuff that happens when they are not in school.

20. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I taught in year round my first 4 years of teaching and miss it terribly! The past 2 years I have moved and have had to work in traditional schools. Let me tell you, I can tell when I really need a break (the kids too) and in year round one is usually right around the corner. Summers are great but I get board. the way it was set up here is 9 weeks on and 3 weeks off. Various childcare centers set up "camps" etc. for those times. I also find that the kids retain more info. as well. The time off gives everyone time to regroup and start fresh. I would go back in a heart beat.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2006

My year-round school has a two week break after each quarter and offers additional assistance as well as camps and other activities during the first week of the break - leaving the second week completely off. This still leaves a two month summer break like traditional schools around here. I think summer break should be NO less than two full months...

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

There are a couple districts around me that have ONE K-8 school on a year-round schedule, with the rest following a traditional schedule... it's a school of choice that any parent within the district can opt in or out of. They do 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off, and follow all the "regular" breaks the district does, but extended (so, for instance, they get the same 2-week winter break plus a week of quarter break... same way for the week of spring break plus two more quarter break)

I think it's good for kids... i remember doing a persuasive essay in jr. high on why I thought it was a good idea. I'm currently teaching preschool sp. ed kids, and it makes a big difference when they can keep a semi-routine throughout their time off. It also had potential for "fun" classes or remedial work during the breaks without having to wait for the summer.

And for me? I always anticipate the next 3-day weekend, so I think I'd enjoy this sort of a schedule. But I think it would be REALLY hard for parents to have kids on different schedules or some on year-round and some not.

23. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

I teach at year round school. We work 12 weeks, then have 4 weeks off. Our district (& most in the area) are doing year round due to a high volume of students. There are always 3 tracks who are at school and one track on break. The only thing I don't like about it is having to pack up every 12 weeks. It really makes you think about what you're placing on the walls & around the room when you know it will all have to be put away before you can have your vacation.

24. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

What grade do you teach?

Hi Robin0103, Does your district spend a lot of money for students to attend school all year round? Thank you for anwering my questions.

kocolynn

25. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Hi Robin0103, Does your district spend a lot of money for students to attend school all year round? Thank you for anwering my questions.

kocolynn

26. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

i know i messed it up. Sorry.

27. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

HI

I like the idea of year-round school! I wish they had it here in Virginia because I'd certainly apply.

Most year-rounds still have a summer vacation- and I like the idea of breaks throughout the year.

Teaching is tiring. Would give teachers time to regroup, but would also give students less time to 'forget' all they learned.

I know the first month or two of school is relearning what they learned the year before!

28. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Thank you everyone. your comments really helped me! Again sorry about the poll question. I really screwed it up! I'm new can't you tell!

29. kocolynn

kocolynn Rookie

Jun 21, 2006

Do you think that year round schools would interfere with teachers going back to scho

Hi Kat53, Do you think that year round schools would interfere with teachers going back to school?

30. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

How do year round schools have 2 months off for the summer and 2 weeks off every 9 weeks? It sounds like you are never in school? How many days make a school year for you?

31. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 21, 2006

The schools in our county start Aug 1 and get out the Friday before Memorial Day. We get a week off in Sept, the entire week of Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, a week in Feb and a week in April...then an 8 week break in the summer. I love it!! My kids like it too. The daycare centers and YMCA plan camps the weeks that we are out, so daycare is usually not a problem. If you were going to use it for 12 weeks in the summer, it's just spread out a little now. GA is trying to pass a law that school can not start until late Aug or Sept in any district, but I hope that never passes....we love our calendar just like it is.

32. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jun 21, 2006

LOVE year round!

I have been teaching in a year round school in VA for 2 years now and LOVE it! It is great for the teachers and kids, because we often all need the break. Our school is great bc the kids don't just sit at home during those breaks. We offer intersessions. Not only do we get paid extra, but the kids have an opportunity to attend school up to 40 extra days a year during intersession. The days are only until 12:15 instead of 2:15, and kids are either put into remediate or enrichment classes. I REALLY think it benefits the kids for a NUMBER of reasons. First of all, kids don't just go out and play any more. They watch older siblings/parents doing things they shouldn't be doing or watching TV/listening to inappropriate music. So this gives them something to do, but isn't all day (and for the one who had trouble with sitters, we also offer after school programs until about when reg school would be over). Secondly, the kids are either getting lots more help in a smaller setting, or having extra stuff above the standards (never more worksheets and stuff, always hands on activities). Third, lots of our kids are poor, and this gives them an opportunity to have breakfast and lunch a few more days a year, because if they aren't at school they aren't eating. Fourth, it helps with the gap of time that they aren't forgetting everything they learned. Last, the breaks really do make it nice. We still have at least 5-6 weeks each summer, but a nice long break in Oct (where lots of people can still vacation especially at warmer place like Disney when it isn't crowded),. Oh, and I also forgot to mention that when you teach intersessions you don't necessarily have your own kids. You get a mix of the other classes and it is nice to get to know the kids in the grade, and makes you appreciate your own children even more sometimes!

33. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jun 21, 2006

Our workdays start July 26 this year and kids start Aug 2. We go until Oct 16, and have three weeks off (although 2 of those they can come to school for intersession, see my other reply). We have what everyone else has at xmas, a week off at the end of Jan (intersession again), then 2-3 weeks off at Easter (1-2 of those being intersession again,depending on the year). Then we go until the end of the year, the middle of june and then we have about 5-6 weeks off, with 2-3 of those being intersession. The intersessions all coincide with the end of the nine weeks.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 21, 2006

I don't have a permanent position yet, but I personally like the traditional system better & want to work for a district who still has that as opposed to the year round schedule. I just like having the whole summer off, as short as it may be. I don't like having a couple of weeks off here & there. I plan to travel quite a bit & I want to be able to take a 2 week vacation & still have plenty of relaxation time afterward.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 21, 2006

I taught in a year-round school for four years. I didn't get to go to any summer workshops since subs were scarce during the summer session, but there was a curriculum specialist that kept everyone up to date on brain research and strategies. I think the kids did better and didn't relapse as much when changing grade levels. I had many parents tell me that they loved the year round schedule as they could spend more time with their kids when they were off. There were several day care centers who offered special deals for the year round kids. We had an extended day program at school that also offered programs during almost all of the breaks.

36. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jun 22, 2006

With all the teachers with lots of experience out there seeimg to be so in favor of year round, I find my tide is turning. I particularly like the idea where the students still get 2 months off during the summer.

If memory serves me correctly - that last month was always pretty boring and I remember being anxious for school to start again.

Plus as a fledgling teacher I see the breaks as being opportunities to get some cirriculum work done that doesn't involve my weekends.

~J

37. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

The district saves money by doing year round because they can accomodate increased student population without building new schools.

38. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jun 29, 2006

Down here in Australia, our school year starts in January. We have 1 week off for Easter, 2 weeks off in June, 2 weeks off in September and 6 weeks in December (Our Summer)

39. imateacher

imateacher New Member

Jun 29, 2006

I am wondering when those of you who teach year-round do professional development. I use my summers to take college courses and continuing ed. It is easier for me to do it when my classroom responsibilities are at a minimum. I am especially thankful for summer break this year. I am moving from third grade to reading. I'd be in a panic if I only had a couple weeks to prepare!

40. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jun 29, 2006

Robin-
    Why do you have to pack up? Aren't you coming back to the same room?

41. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2006

My cousin who is at a year round school does her cont. ed during the school year, gets to go during a regular school day, gets paid for it, and a sub comes in for her during those days. She also still gets a 6 week-2 month summer break to do things at that time as well.