Does anyone NOT like the daily 5?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hanvan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2013

I'm not sure after reading some on it that I "love" it?

Thoughts? Opinions? :D

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 27, 2013

My district adopted it, so I have to use it. I have only been working with Daily 5 for one year, so please keep that in mind.

No, I don't love it. I feel like there's so much moving around!

Come to carpet for ML
    Move to centers
    Back to carpet
    Move to centers
    Back to carpet
    Move to centers

I also don't feel like I have any time to DO things with my class. I feel like I am always talking, there's no time for foldables, interactive notebooks, or anything hands-on. I'd love for someone to give me their perspective on this.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

I don't love every piece of it. I like the outline of the first few weeks - it gives a nice structure for teaching the routines and procedures. I don't do word work or listen to reading like they outline. I also don't give choice - everyone does the same job at the same time. There were too many transitions and not enough structure for my grade 1s.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2013

I only use some of the teachings of routines and procedures. The rest is not compatible with my district's way of doing things.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2013

Last year I didn't give choice... my group couldn't handle it. I also had an aide during that time, and when I realized they were not working seriously enough during word work I made that her center to run.

I'm moving down to first this year. I think I'm still going to have an aide or parent run word work - I really like the things I can plan if there's guidance... like Making Words activities.

I do listen to reading on the computer with the Raz Kids website. I'll have less computers this year, but they're newer, so hopefully even though I can't have as many kids on at a time, there will be less of the "Mrs. Danny'sNanny... my computer won't WORK!!!!"

I do like that the rotations are simple, I don't have to plan a ton, and the kids know what to expect. Before D5, it took a huge chunk of Monday just to explain the centers for the week, and they'd forget half of it by the time it was their day at that activity.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2013

I don't like it for the same reasons already mentioned...not enough time to go in depth, too much moving around, not suitable for children who have difficulty choosing activities and working independently, too much record keeping, not enough accountability because I can't keep up on a daily basis with everything going on...

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I limit their choices and have groups rotate. I do one main lesson,and any other lessons are done in my guided reading groups. I think as they get older,the children can handle having more choices,but first graders need more structure.

9. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

I do not follow it completely. I do not think the mini lessons in between everything is very realistic for first graders, too much transition. I only have them do two or three things during the time we work on it. I use it more as a keep them busy thing so that they are actively working while I do small groups.