Does Anyone Miss Borders?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2013

So Borders stores have been closed for a while now. Does anyone miss it?

I sure do because they were close & had a nice sitting area in their connected coffee shop. My BF & I would just sit there & go through tons of mags on a regular basis.

My closest B&N doesn't have any sitting area because there's no coffe shop within it, so there's no place to just sit & relax. They just have a few single chairs in these awkward places. The farther B&N a few cities away is nice, but farther & the sitting arrangement still isn't as nice as my Borders.

It's just not the same anymore. :mad:

3. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 23, 2013

I prefer locally owned small bookstores, and then B&N.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2013

I agree. Our Barnes and Noble has really nice seating and study areas.

5. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Oct 23, 2013

How about just going to a library if you're looking to sit, relax, and read?

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2013

We only have one local bookstore that doesn't have any sitting areas. Our library has a nice sitting area. The closest B&N is about 25 minutes and it is nice! I never went to Borders because there just wasn't any ones close by.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2013

Never had one, so nope....

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2013

It's definitely not the same feeling. I guess the B&N about 30 min away from me is the best so far.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 23, 2013

I never liked Borders. There are two locally owned bookstores that I like, but I usually just buy online these days.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2013

I don't guess I ever went to a Borders. I would rather shoot my foot than hang out in B&N's cafe area, though.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2013

There was one near here that was nice.

But I much prefer to sit at home and read than to do so in a store. So I'm very happy ordering online, or just downloading a book.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 23, 2013

I never really liked Borders. We didn't have any small book stores, but when I had a choice I used B&N instead.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2013

I enjoyed our small locally owned bookstore, but when it closed I went to Borders. The layout of the store just made sense to me, and I don't have the same feeling about B&N. I'm actually not crazy about the coffee shop/bookstore phenomenon- maybe because I don't drink coffee. I won't buy a book if it looks like someone else has been reading it (except at the library book sale). A new book should have that never-been-opened feel to it. Just my opinion.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2013

I never liked Borders. I recently cleaned out my gift certificate wallet...threw away an unused Borders card.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 23, 2013

Ha!

I agree. I'm definitely NOT the type who loves to hang out at the coffee shops every other day w/ my ipad or laptop & sit for hours.

Only when I'm with my BF, just another way to get out of the house, we like to gather mags & sit for no more than an hour ONLY about once a month when the new issues come out & look through mags.

Soon, I won't care to do this much because I plan to take advantage of this program where for $10/month, I get access to current & back issues of 100 mags in digital format on my iPad! Ahh, all at my fingertips & I can slowly get rid of all my old, yet undread mags that are piled up here.

16. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Oct 23, 2013

I miss it. It was the only bookstore near me. I could browse for hours. I don't like waiting for Amazon to deliver my books, I want instant gratification! The closest bookstore is probably 45 minutes away now.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 23, 2013

Don't think I was ever in one. No bookstores in my town. Hastings is in the next town. I don't like it all that much. My favorite is Joseph-Beth, but it's a 100 mile round trip.

18. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 23, 2013

I miss it. I loved their chai tea

19. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Oct 23, 2013

I do. I'm not a coffee shop type person either, but I thought it had a bigger selection of books, and it was definitely more fun to browse around in. So many times I came across interesting books that I never would have heard of otherwise (lots of interesting non-fiction, etc). I read a few years ago that B&N was unofficially changing their "open door policy" of encouraging customers to sit around and read by getting rid of couches/stuffed chairs. I did notice after that the stores around me slowly eased away to just a few hard chairs in the corner and now there are none (other than the coffee shop).

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2013

I do, but not for the same reasons. We usually ask our students to buy their own copies of the Shakespeare plays we read at the different levels. I used to be able to call Borders and tell them, "Hey, you're going to get 100 kids in next week looking for Macbeth," and they'd just get copies in and keep them behind the counter. B&N won't do that.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2013

Our Barnes and Noble does.

22. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Oct 23, 2013

OMG, YES! There used to be a Borders near my house and I would hang out there all the time to grade papers or work on my writing projects with an artist friend. I always liked Borders better than Barnes and Noble because Borders had those "look up a book" kiosks that you could type in the title you wanted, whereas Barnes and Noble you have to line up at the help desk and ask.

However, I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I own 2 Kindles and an IPad which I use to read novels and articles daily. Plus my cell phone. I also love that you can read a lot of e-books that aren't published in hardback on amazon.com (especially certain racy ones that shall go unnamed:whistle:)

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 23, 2013

I dislike big bookstores, for the same reason that I dislike Scholastic and Arrow and the Book Fair at school-they are becoming more about toys and trinkets and erasers and bendy pencils and One Direction posters and padlocks for your SuperRad diary and blah, blah, blah...with a few books tossed in. Half of which are joke books and crap, rather than actual literature.

/rant

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 23, 2013

It always makes me so sad to go to our book fair now. I remember LOVING it as a child, and having trouble picking out only a couple of books. Now all the kids go to are the trinkets and posters. I don't blame the kids because it can be hard to walk away from that stuff, but it has no business being at a book fair.

It's interesting to see how book stores have changed throughout the years. I remember when people were upset that Borders was driving small bookstores out of business. Now online is driving the big bookstores out of business. Makes me miss the "old days"

25. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2013

My grandma says that's her favorite bookstore anywhere. It's hours and hours on a plane for us though! She'll usually go to Joseph Beth 2 or 3 times in a 5 day trip.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2013

I feel ya! My daughter always wants a trinket first, but I make her pick out a book (a REAL book) first before she can even think about looking at the trinkets. But I know some parents don't do this and their child just spends all their time at the trinkets.

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2013

I always told my students (& their parents) that they had to buy a book first before they could get anything else. And if they wanted 2 or more non-book items they had to buy an equal number of books. :D Not a single child or parent gave me a hard time about that policy. I always told the kids that their parents could take them back & they could get the extra whatever then.

I do miss Borders, only because they were closer to me then B & N. It was simply more convenient. Now, B & N is out of my way.

28. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 24, 2013

I would never go to a bookstore and browse a magazine. Buy one, yes. Read it and put it back, no. Only a few magazines interest me: Wired, Scientific American, Mind ...

I always enjoyed bookstores, but I buy more books these days via Amazon than I ever purchased from a bookstore. I like the reviews that are available online.

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 24, 2013

I do miss Borders. We had both Borders and B&N. I preferred Borders for a few reasons: the kiosks to look up books, more hook ups/outlets for my laptop, and the coffee was better. I'm not a huge Starbucks fan. Anyway, I'd go to Borders to study for grad classes, work on projects, and sometimes to grade papers. I just found it easier to concentrate away from home and all its distractions. It was a bonus that I could go look up information in the most recent books the libraries usually didn't have.