Does anyone know

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Mar 15, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

of a website where you can find a list of jobs one can get with a certain degree? My DH is trying to decide what bachelors degree he wants. He's leading towards Criminal Justice administration, but would like to know his job options with this degree.

:thanks:

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 15, 2008

My bf majored in criminal justice and worked as correctional officer at a prison for a couple months before moving on/up. They told him that with his BA in criminal justice he could easily move up the ladder and gain an administration position in the prison.

5. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

Does your bf like working for the prison? I know there isn't one close by here. The nearest one is like 30 minutes away. And do you know how fast he can move up in the system?

6. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

DH just said he didn't want to work in a prison. He doesn't know what he wants to be when he's grown up (he's 32!) LOL..

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 16, 2008

He hated it. He worked in the Super Max (most dangerous offenders), 12 hour shifts. He was making $12.70 an hour with a college degree. The prison was a 40 minute drive from our house. He was only there for 3 months before becoming a social worker for CPS. He's one of the only people in his department without a masters degree. The pay is much like starting teacher pay (he's making the same as me).

My bf is trying to become a police officer. It's tough and very competitive. He said he doesn't know what positions would be available for someone with a criminal justice administration degree. Is it an Associates or BA degree?

8. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

It'll be a BA degree, and by the time he finishes, DH will be 36. I think that eliminates the police officer position.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 16, 2008

He could get into the police officer process now. You don't need a degree. However, they like it when you have a criminal justice degree or military experience.

10. smalltowngal

Mar 16, 2008

He does have military service. :) I'm just not sure if any departments are hiring right now around here.

11. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Mar 17, 2008

STG~My DH started on his BA in '03. He knew he wanted "something in business", so he spent a few days looking at sites like monsterjobs and hotjobs. Then he went to UNT's business dept. website and researched a little bit there about what types of jobs are available for which degrees. He settled on HR Mgmt. He's scheduled to graduate in December. It's been a long haul (I've been teaching full-time and tutoring part-time since he started), but I know it will be worth it in the end.

12. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 17, 2008

My brother has a degree in criminal justice and did work in a juv. detention center for a while. He pretty much said he was a "babysitter". He followed the kids around from class to class and pretty much just watched over them to make sure they behaved (sounds very much like a security guard to me). However, he has since gotten a full time job as a juv. probation officer and loves it. He's been doing that for about 2 years or more and did so well that he maxed out his pay possibilitys very quickly, (not fully, but you know, 1 year experience can only go X high 2 years can go X high....it didn't take him long to get enough raises to max himself out).

13. smalltowngal

Mar 17, 2008

Val, I know that he was looking at the different degree programs and what jobs he could get into each. He started an associates degree in CJ, but found out that the classes he was taking were Bachelor degree classes. He's hoping that maybe they'll transfer over to the college. Right now he'll be gradutating in a little over a year. I've mentioned becoming a probation officer as an option. I guess we'll see what he decides after graduation. :)